Thread: which supplier carry a rgp "synergeyes"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

which supplier carry a rgp "synergeyes"

as title, is there any buddy know which supplier carry this rgp "synergeyes" at Ontario? thanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I believe the only way you can order the various Synergeyes lenses is directly from them...synergeyes. visit their website.

OptiBoard Professional gibby2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    From what I recall OD or optician/CL Fitter signs up with Synergeyes, watches some fitting videos, completes quiz and you're a fitter! Just kidding. I think its just to register legit fitters. Thenyou can buy fitting sets or order lenses. I did it 5yrs ago but never worked with them.
    RGP's suck. Sorry that's an irrational statement but they suck. This might be better but price point is $$ from what I recall.
    Was looking into it as an option to fit Multifocal CL's that are more comfortable than RGP's but not freely available to consumer online.
    Call Synergeyes and they will let you know the fitters in Vancouver area.

Regards
    Gibbenator

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you want a critique of the lens, I'll say this. This lens takes work, time and money. It also takes a great deal of patient preparation and education. I know the company would say differently, but you should only use this lens when nothing else will work. One type of patient is the keratocone. Another is the multifocal patient that can't seem to wear anything else successfully.

I think the multifocal works well optically because the large soft skirt of the lens holds the RGP right smack in the center of the cornea, as compared to a regular RGP. This is the best position for the MF optics to work.

Previous disposable lens patients are not good candidates for this lens because they will never be comfortable with or adept at handling a lens that they have to make last for at least six months...again, unless nothing else will work. Previous RGP wearers are better candidates because they are used to making their lenses last, and are more willing to put up with initial fitting visits, waiting for lens orders, and some discomfort during adaptation.

These patients generally will not have spare lenses as they would with disposables (unless you force them to buy two pair for their own good at the beginning) and since the lenses are custom made, you put yourself into a position where patients call frantically looking for a new lens yesterday.

This is truly a lens that requires fitting skill, and a willing patient. You probably shouldn't get involved with this lens if you have only one case to fit, or if you expect to fit one or two cases per year. Refer it to an expert who does at least one or two per month.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was a practitioner consultant for Synergeyes for 7 months in 2011 - Their A series lenses work very well for astigmats and early cones, and were an easy replacement for the discontinued SoftPerm lenses. The keratoconus lenses also worked well (ClearKone,and KC, and I fitted them) as did their multifocal. But - when they introduced the Duette things started to go downhill. The lenses "sucked" - and I mean that literally. I had lots of complaints about the lenses being difficult to remove, and causing all sorts of problems. Then - they raised the price for their best product - the A series. In the practices that I have worked in, that pretty much shut down the product. Now they have the UltraHealth, and I am no longer drinking the cool aid. If you want to pay the price, they have the A series, the KC series, and the MF series (based on the A), and they are all good lenses with a proven track record. They also offer a post Surgical lens that works very well. I am skeptical of the Duette, and no longer use it. It can be a bit hard to learn how to fit these, as the fitting process is counter-intuitive to standard CL fitting (i.e. - you actually fit somewhat steeper than Kf). The Duette is more conventional when it comes to fitting w/Ks or topography, but it has lots of issues.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    I was a practitioner consultant for Synergeyes for 7 months in 2011 - Their A series lenses work very well for astigmats and early cones, and were an easy replacement for the discontinued SoftPerm lenses. The keratoconus lenses also worked well (ClearKone,and KC, and I fitted them) as did their multifocal. But - when they introduced the Duette things started to go downhill. The lenses "sucked" - and I mean that literally. I had lots of complaints about the lenses being difficult to remove, and causing all sorts of problems. Then - they raised the price for their best product - the A series. In the practices that I have worked in, that pretty much shut down the product. Now they have the UltraHealth, and I am no longer drinking the cool aid. If you want to pay the price, they have the A series, the KC series, and the MF series (based on the A), and they are all good lenses with a proven track record. They also offer a post Surgical lens that works very well. I am skeptical of the Duette, and no longer use it. It can be a bit hard to learn how to fit these, as the fitting process is counter-intuitive to standard CL fitting (i.e. - you actually fit somewhat steeper than Kf). The Duette is more conventional when it comes to fitting w/Ks or topography, but it has lots of issues.
    Well said. I just did a monocular keratocone with the KC lens and I nearly dropped dead at what it cost to purchase one lens.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Well said. I just did a monocular keratocone with the KC lens and I nearly dropped dead at what it cost to purchase one lens.
    And you probably also "dropped dead" at what the patient's insurance did NOT cover. There is certainly a place for these lenses in a specialty fit office (cones, post-lasik, post-graft, high astigmat, etc.), but they are not for the feint of heart.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Thread Information