Thread: Ever heard of anyone receiving a grant for new businesses?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Ever heard of anyone receiving a grant for new businesses?

Hello,

We have had our shop for about a year now as just a dispensary. We are looking into a better location with an exam lane. Has anyone ever heard of receiving a grant or something along those lines from a designer, lab, essilor, etc? ... to grow your business.

We are just looking at every avenue to grow to be a full service optical shop...

Thank you for any input.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I was renovating Essilor offered me $7k in funds to help provided I sign a long term contract with them. I declined the offer so I wouldn't be handcuffed to their product.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hello,

Thank you, I have actually heard the same thing about Essilor from another source. Do you mind me asking more details: How long was the term for? What was the catch, other than exclusively using their products I'm assuming? We have been using only their products as well as an Essilor lab so I just don't see why not...

Thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyepeople View Post
    Hello,

We have been using only their products as well as an Essilor lab so I just don't see why not...

Thanks!
    This is exactly why NOT! :)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    +1

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    I don't get it...

Occupation
    I don't get it...
    The BORG is assimilating you

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello,

We have had our shop for about a year now as just a dispensary. We are looking into a better location with an exam lane. Has anyone ever heard of receiving a grant or something along those lines from a designer, lab, essilor, etc? ... to grow your business.

We are just looking at every avenue to grow to be a full service optical shop...

Thank you for any input.
    Many of us have been offered anywhere from $10k up to $100lk+ to sell our optical souls. The problem is that after that, it is no longer YOUR business, you are only helping to run it.

If you do decide to go this route, remember, they are looking for volume, from a shop with a proven track record. It's been my experience that they usually offer it to shops that don't really need it...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Many of us have been offered anywhere from $10k up to $100lk+ to sell our optical souls. The problem is that after that, it is no longer YOUR business, you are only helping to run it.

If you do decide to go this route, remember, they are looking for volume, from a shop with a proven track record. It's been my experience that they usually offer it to shops that don't really need it...
    I was under the impression that they offer you a grant if you sign a contract to use their products for a term (3-5 years). If that was the case I would not see the problem unless there is some required quota that is unrealistic or out of our current reach. I would never sign over my business...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let me check me email archive to see if I can find the email. Based on what I remember they amortize the $ amount over the life of the contract. Should you want to leave early you will buy out the remainder of the contract. Don't recall getting an out if the quality or product line slips.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was under the impression that they offer you a grant if you sign a contract to use their products for a term (3-5 years). If that was the case I would not see the problem unless there is some required quota that is unrealistic or out of our current reach. I would never sign over my business...
    They have to recoup the grant money. Look carefully at the price of the lenses. You most likely will be paying a higher amount than what you would with an independent lab and are locked in for 3-5 years. You lose all ability to negotiate pricing, even if you grow your business, as well as losing your ability to offer your patients many lens designs. With all of the exciting new digital products entering the market, I personally would be nervous putting all my eggs in one basket for that amount of time.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelie View Post
    They have to recoup the grant money. Look carefully at the price of the lenses. You most likely will be paying a higher amount than what you would with an independent lab and are locked in for 3-5 years. You lose all ability to negotiate pricing, even if you grow your business, as well as losing your ability to offer your patients many lens designs. With all of the exciting new digital products entering the market, I personally would be nervous putting all my eggs in one basket for that amount of time.
    Where is the 'like' button??

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Where is the 'like' button??
    Yup! That one needs a "like" button for sure!!!

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by kdavenport View Post
    When I was renovating Essilor offered me $7k in funds to help provided I sign a long term contract with them. I declined the offer so I wouldn't be handcuffed to their product.
    That's not a grant. That's slavery.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, it's appealing to greed.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The next time I get pulled over for speeding (a regular occurrence in my life) I think I'm going to offer the policeman a grant...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    There are no "grants" in the business world, unless you are one of those rare cases of being a proven business, with a large employee base who is looking to relocate. Then you might get a grant.

If Essilor give you money, its only because they have carefully calculated that they will make all that back, and then some, within 3 years by over charging you.
    Don't do it.

Hello,

Thank you for any input.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    If Essilor give you money, its only because they have carefully calculated that they will make all that back, and then some, within 3 years by over charging you.
    Don't do it.
    I don't agree with that statement. I don't necessarily think that Essilor needs to charge you more than anyone else, in order to make their money back. They will make it back simply by getting your business locked in. More importantly, and more effective for them is that they are taking business away from their competition for the period that's locked in.

What I have heard of accounts doing is taking the "grant", and then giving E only that amount of business, with NO increase or growth - just strictly the amount agreed upon, and nothing more. It still hurts the competition, but at least the account, so long as they are growing, still has the opportunity to spread it out.

Thread Information