Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optical Consultants

Save $$$$ with Acculab
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Optical Consultants

I work for a whole sale lab and just this week alone I have seen 3 offices turn to consultants which is supposedly run by essilor. Does anyone have any information on these consultants??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by JC1111 View Post
    I work for a whole sale lab and just this week alone I have seen 3 offices turn to consultants which is supposedly run by essilor. Does anyone have any information on these consultants??
    What are their names? I know most of the legitimate consultants.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you talking about GPN/The Edge?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My understanding is that they use it as a way to get into offices. While I have no confirmation, I would not be surprised if this a scouting tool to be able to target accounts that they can "buy."

Essilor is buying up offices. Complete vertical integration..
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Essilor is buying up offices...................................

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post

Essilor is buying up offices. Complete vertical integration..

Interesting .................can anybody confirm that with some facts ?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just what some offices told me in regards to what was happening. One of our early top accounts was acquired by a local chain. That chain got their financing through Essilor in exchange for a contract on lab work. It was one of several offices that was purchased. I was then recently told that Essilor actually "owns" the chain, either directly or indirectly.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I ran into this situation several years ago when travelling in FL for Polycore.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Consultants can be great, but please make sure they have REAL optical experience. There are too many companies who package consulting "services" but its really just an accounting service, you can get elsewhere for a fraction of the price. A real consultant will have real hands on experience in optical, dealing with patients, trouble shooting non-adapts, and knowing first hand the challenges you face.

Also, if they are not WEARING glasses, simply and kindly ask them to leave. If they have so little commitment to this industry they don't even wear glasses, how much commitment will they make to your success? (sell them a pair first).

Save $$$$ with Acculab
    Occupation
    That is exactly what I am dealing with. I am still trying to get the name of the consulting company. I asked one lady and she just told me Essilor. This particular one is based out new jersey and they require the use of there own lab. Im curious to know the rest of the details but no one will talk.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    this is a trend we're starting to see in Alabama. They deal primarily with ophthalmology practices and I doubt you will see any optometrist in the near future going with one of these management companies.
    They will usually bring their own managers into the practice and will have a contract with certain low end frame manufacturers and wholesale lab.
    They are not consultants but management companies that will come in and take over the management and operation of the dispensaries.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check out their website. You will be amazed, if not a little concerned.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Consultants can be great, but please make sure they have REAL optical experience.
    I checked out their website: http://www.visionassociatesinc.com/our-team/

It looks like they not only have some decent experience, but the many of the managers have degrees in ophthalmic sciences.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Its like Vision Source, but its probably less costly. But when the most successful practices are differentiating themselves, why would they bring in the cookie cutter? Find THE #1 practice on Yelp in your area, pretend to be a patient, see what they do, and copy them. Far cheaper and far more successful.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, it's not anything like Vision Source. It is a dispensary management firm. They run the show from hiring to frame selection to the lab, which is an Essilor owned lab.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    No, it's not anything like Vision Source. It is a dispensary management firm. They run the show from hiring to frame selection to the lab, which is an Essilor owned lab.

In Vision Source your "advisor" may pick your labs, lenses and your frames. depending on how much control you give them. They don't run it Day to Day, and you can over ride their decisions, but every VS office can look the same quickly if they dont' say no. Same frames, same lab, same lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I checked out their website: http://www.visionassociatesinc.com/our-team/

It looks like they not only have some decent experience, but the many of the managers have degrees in ophthalmic sciences.
    Yea, they do. But ONLY 5 of 21 people are wearing EYEWEAR in their pictures. I don't trust anyone who says they support and care about this industry and simply does not wear glasses! I have one word for that, Plano.

There was someone who posted a couple of years ago here because his/her office was getting taken over by Vision Associates, maybe they have some insight?
    Last edited by sharpstick777; 01-31-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Essilor "consultants" came in a few years ago to a neighboring town Dr. (at the MD's request? permission? whatever) and consulted that M.D. right into a 'cash flow dilemma' .....told him he needed satellite offices in a couple nearby towns. He bought buildings (actually a whole shopping center in one depressed town) and opened branches. The shopping center is still fairly empty (town still depressed) and I think that 'satellite office' is now closed. All I know is reps told me that he was running around within a year or so trying to 'cover his butt' and attempt to return product for CASH rather than exchange. I think a lot of people told him that wasn't happening. He fired his 'license' and had one of his Optoms 'train' some personnel for the dispensary. (smile) I just remember all the good advice they put out, via patients coming into see us.....like "you can't adjust plastic frames" or "Medicare will only pay for glasses after our surgery from OUR office" or even "titanium frames only have a two-month warranty", etc, etc, etc. I know the Essilor labs were getting all of their business. And few of their patients were getting real quality care. Just the kind that 'goes for' quality care nowadays.

I may be a Pollyanna, and this may BE the way our industry (and every other is moving) but I'm going to stick with the mindset that all of these 'games' at manipulating the market and gaining market share are going to eventually implode. Sure, people are putting up with a lot now (few people willing to do small repairs) and being fed 'lines' for why they need to be charged more. (smile) But all of us are consumers....of something....and all of us want to have our 'needs taken care of' and not 'be sold' something. (grin!) It may be my 'downfall' but I'm going to hold on to the idea of 'offering value' and 'good product' as being what all of us want in every venue. All of us who 'buy in' to playing the game to screw others will eventually get pretty fed up with it being done to us in some other industry. We may actually have to learn to 'repair something' to make it last again, versus just throw away and start new.

And of course, after that little diatribe.....I have to own up to the fact that I'm no longer 'open for business' anymore, am I?
    Mother Theresa - MRS. "CoolOptican"

Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do. —
    James Harvey Robinson

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolOptician View Post
    I may be a Pollyanna, and this may BE the way our industry (and every other is moving) but I'm going to stick with the mindset that all of these 'games' at manipulating the market and gaining market share are going to eventually implode.
    If the "this" is consulting companies running practices, then yes, I agree. We have been saying for years that ODs and MDs might be great doctors, but many of them have no desire to be involved in the business side of their practice. Those that realize this are the smart once.

The practices of the future will be run by highly trained and educated opticians, and they will be acting as managers more than technicians. Yes, some of them will be employed by large corporations that "consult", some will have their own management companies (as some of us already have), while others still will be hired directly by the doctors. This IS the way of the future, whether we like it or not.

We are not alone. What do you think an executive chef does? Cook? Most don't spend a lot of time cooking. I have a cousin that is an executive chef, and spends no time in kitchens, but rather manages a high end hotel. He told me that is not uncommon at all. An executive chef's duties include:

• Recruiting and hiring
    • Ordering and purchasing supplies, food, and equipment
    • Developing menus
    • Researching industry trends
    • Budgeting and financial planning
    • Food safety systems in the establishment

Depending on the venue, an executive chef can be very hands-on, preparing dishes or finishing the plates to ensure quality standards. Their role may also be more business oriented, with the majority of their time spent outside of the kitchen.

Article taken from: http://www.chef2chef.net/articles/jo...f-profile.html

Even those that do work in the kitchen are often more managers. I see opticians of the future in very similar roles.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have seen E write checks to practices to buy their lab business for a contracted period. I have seen these checks as high as 50k, and heard of even higher. The quality is good but the selection of product is limited and turnaround is not going to be the best. Quick cash for a practice and if invested back into the practice, can be a great opportunity to grow. They don't offer these deals to offices that are small, or don't have any potential.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    If the "this" is consulting companies running practices, then yes, I agree. We have been saying for years that ODs and MDs might be great doctors, but many of them have no desire to be involved in the business side of their practice. Those that realize this are the smart once.
    Johns, it's not 'hiring a manager' that I object to, or even the 'maximizing' of one's practice by hiring people who do the 'management' better, allowing you to focus on the aspects that you DO better. The part that bothers me, is all the 'games' being played by all of those parties and more, that are geared to make you 'think' you are getting something of value, when you often are not. No matter who is doing it, or at what level.

Since this discussion was geared around 'consultants' - that is where I was 'pointing my vent' - and basically what I see is a large corp 'selling themselves' as being able to increase a practices market share, and revenue, in exchange for ALL of their lab business. (smile) There are many situations where we could portray this as a totally benign practice, helping to benefit all of those concerned. And granted, I've only had one experience that I knew of personally. Maybe it was a 'fluke' that what this Dr. got 'sold' wasn't really anything that benefitted his practice, and cost him in the long run. But as the person who started this thread indicated (it's shutting him out of even trying to compete), it's also about 'big business' controlling the 'playing field' in a more manipulative and hugely self-indulgent way. Isn't that exactly what some of us have been 'harping' about in regard to the Evil Empire (Wal-mart)? Cheapening product, maximizing the profit they can make, without giving good quality product or service and standing behind the product they sell. Granted, I'm working off of just the experiences we've had in our area, and what people come in and tell me. And yet, reps tell me this Wal-Mart optical has 'won awards' for being hugely successful in gross profits annually.

(smile) I know, I had one old man tell me once, "you just don't understand how 'big business' is done nowadays!" And maybe I don't. Maybe I'm just showing my ignorance in that I think business should be about a 'quality exchange' regarding a product/service and being compensated for the VALUE. This includes the people/time/value of the exchange. But I guess this was also an example of why I was lucky I worked with my husband and 'got away' with a lot. Because I told that old man, "well if you think that is 'okay' in your world, you might as well 'bend over!' Because if you keep treating the small business who is trying to take care of you the way you are, one day those big businesses will be your only choices and they can do to you whatever they want to you!"

Please understand, I'm not saying anything about what you suggest....having good 'managers' in place for doctor's who are not, is never a bad thing. It's just all the 'deals' and 'game-playing' where motives and agendas are more and more twisted, for who's benefit, that is getting to me. (grin!) But then I'm a sorta 'up front' say it like I see it kinda gal. In case you haven't noticed. Doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about, just that it's how I see it!
    Mother Theresa - MRS. "CoolOptican"

Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do. —
    James Harvey Robinson

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by JC1111 View Post

Can you see them in a mirror?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok - so I'm not the sharpest crayon in the toolshed, but please help. Is the subject here business consulting, optical consulting or some "wolf in sheep's clothing" mix of the two? There seems to be two conversations. Should I buy garlic?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since this discussion was geared around 'consultants' - that is where I was 'pointing my vent' - and basically what I see is a large corp 'selling themselves' as being able to increase a practices market share, and revenue, in exchange for ALL of their lab business.
    Of course, nobody is fooled. However, this is by no means a new concept. Back in the 70's and 80's many Ohio labs did this in my area, especially before MDs went into the dispensing business. Rooney Optical opened dispensaries for MDs, while Bell Optical and others made it their business to try to bring major safety accounts to their side. The only difference now is that E is doing it on a bigger scale, has more resources, and is more efficient at it.

I don't like it at all, but there's a void to be filled, and they are filling it. Why are these offices in a position to where they think a consultant has more to offer than someone else.

Someone dropped the ball, or never bothered to pick it up.

Thread Information