Thread: Recomendations on Finish blocker

Bad address email on file

Recomendations on Finish blocker

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new OMA compliant finish blocker that is fast, simple, and above all extremly accurate. Olny thing I've seen is Gerbers Step 2. And I have no idea how well it perfoms with reguards to "twist" (happens to be my biggest problem)

Any thoughts???

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile Re: Recomendations on Finish blocker

myodisk said:
    Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new OMA compliant finish blocker that is fast, simple, and above all extremly accurate. Olny thing I've seen is Gerbers Step 2. And I have no idea how well it perfoms with reguards to "twist" (happens to be my biggest problem)

Any thoughts???
    The Step Two, having been designed prioir to the development of the OMA (now VCA) Data Communications Standard, is not "OMA-compliant".

If you want an OMA-compliant finish blocker at the moment, you have to take something else with it: the Weco Verifier (which is a combination lensmeter-blocker) and the GC Kappa tracer/blocker are the only OMA-compliant finish blockers I know of.

GC will be introducing something that I can't tell you about at Vision Expo West, which may be of interest (and which will be OMA-compliant).

The Step Two, with its thermoplastic adhesive "freeblocks", does provide quantifiably superior resistance to slippage compared to adhesive pads.

The Weco Verifier is the most advanced lens scanner / blocker on the market. It is fully OMA compliant and the newest software version will directly transfer scanned drill hole data to the 450-drill edger.
    I will send you documentation for both devices if you would like

Question

Darren,

I have a verifier Pro... Its currently collecting dust waiting for the new software. I haven't been able to get much from the folks at Weco but empty promises. If the new software is out I'll have to start stalking them again.

I quit using the Verifier mostly due to "random" and unexplainable vertical imbalance problems on SV lenses.
    Has this been fixed? Do you have direct experience using the Verifier??

Thanks,

Myodisk

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm looking at a Spartan edger to purchase, I found an older Gerber Triumph tracer and a Gerber Coburn step two blocker. All of this should work together, no? Will I need to modify the Spartan for use with the freeblocks?

Thanks

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by LLano View Post
    I'm looking at a Spartan edger to purchase, I found an older Gerber Triumph tracer and a Gerber Coburn step two blocker. All of this should work together, no? Will I need to modify the Spartan for use with the freeblocks?

Thanks
    If I recall correctly, it's the Essilor tracers that provide the means to control a network of Essilor edgers in a stand-alone (that is, not connected to a software system) configuration, and the Triumph was a specially-produced version that lacked that capability. In any case, the Step Two would not interconnect.

You can use all these pieces together, but I think you'll need a program like Innovations Edge to make it work; each of these devices can connect to it.

You will need a new chucking adapter for the Spartan if it's not already fitted with the Freeblock adapter.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What if they are not linked via innovations or the like? Can you not imput numbers in the step two? AT the very let can I count on the Triumph to transfer trace to the Spartan?

Occupation
    They can all be linked via Innovations. And yes, you can run the Step Two manually. But you can't connect the machines to one another (as you can, for example, a Kappa Edger, and a Kappa Tracer/Blocker), and I'm pretty sure you cannot connect the Triumph Tracer to the Spartan Edger. The Triumph only ever used the (pre-standard) Gerber communications protocols, which the (post-standard) Spartan does not support.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you. I found a step two for $850. I just need to look for an envoy tracer or Ive seen the optonics 4T work with a Spartan edger before. Any caveats here?

Occupation
    If you're connecting all these pieces to Innovations (or other similar software) you can use them together. The optronics will not interconnect directly with the Spartan. When interconnected (that is, NOT connected independently to another system), the Essilor machines use a proprietary protocol called PC-COMM which the optronics machines don't know about.

Thread Information