Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big FF Lab in Canada on the block .................................................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by OIC View Post

I notice on the Oculab website that they have a poly/Trivex hybrid FSV product called Quatrex. Any OB'ers familiar with this material and/or had experience with it?
    Copied from their website:

QUATREX LENSES
    Clear & Sharp Vision for Every Day Use
    Designed with a high impact resistance to improve safety.
    • UV400 Protection • Low Specific Gravity • Thin & Light
    A better alternative to Trivex: Easier to cut & no offensive smell

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Please pardon Optimensch for jumping in late to this thread - can someone post a link to any sort of announcement or news regarding this lab which is "on the block"? I think the original link in the first post was removed.

thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    on another note, as an anglo Quebecker and 2-time no-voting federalist (1980, 1995), Montreal born & raised optimensch, I would like to say that the "language police" is a bit of a sensationalist story. The Quebecois French majority are by and large very liberal and tolerant. I've personally never encountered a language-related spat. Occasionally something blows up in the media (an ignorant bus driver refuses to speak English eg). There are idiots in every culture, they are the exception. Quebeckers want to preserve their language/culture and have voted twice to remain in Canada, and that does not appear to be in jeopardy. Switzerland has how many different languages and regions?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optimensch, if the rest of Canada had been voting on the same issues, instead of Quebec alone, would Quebec have been willing to risk that vote ?

Occupation

Blue Jumper Switzerland has four official languages and regions ...........................

Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post

There are idiots in every culture, they are the exception. Quebeckers want to preserve their language/culture and have voted twice to remain in Canada, and that does not appear to be in jeopardy. Switzerland has how many different languages and regions?
    Switzerland has four official languages and regions, Swiss German (a dialect) while writing is in real German, French, Italian and Romantsch (old roman language).
    All official notices and signs in transportation for example, trains and buses that travel across Canton borders are in at least the first three languages. They all are Swiss first and regional citicens second, similar to the USA, and they all get along nice.

One big difference is that there, the more languages you master, the better you get paid and are worth. In Quebec your the best if you talk French only.

A Swiss will never loose his citicenship and I still have a Swiss passeport after having become a Canadian citizen a long time ago.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi Idispense,

I am not certain I get your question. If you mean should the rest of Canada go ahead and vote on whether Quebec should be kicked out of Canada, I suppose the folks who want to separate would be thrilled. Remember, when asked totally twisted and indirect questions, twice, Quebec voted to stay in Canada. The majority of Quebeckers are not separatists. The die-hard separatists are vocal, stubborn, and make a lot of noise, and carry plenty of weight in Quebec politics, particularly with the PQ in power. But they are a minority and I believe the movement is finished, for a generation anyway. The population is changing, many more immigrants, and a diluted base of people who would favor an independent Quebec. On a clear question - "Should Quebec separate from the rest of Canada", no chance.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hello Chris,

In a sense I think you are better off in Quebec with average French skills and mother tongue English. With excellent English you are mobile, easy access and understanding of US, rest of Canada etc.. I know a number of Quebeckers who can't speak a work of English. Anecdotally, I would not say these people are better paid or better off. By not mastering English, these French=only Quebeckers have fewer options.

Occupation

I live in Dorval a majority English suburb of Montreal .......................

I live in Dorval a majority English suburb of Montreal.5 years ago I got a new neighbor with 2 kids 13 and 10 years old. They did not speak a word of English and today they talk it without any accent just by mixing with others.

My father was fully fluent in 5 languages, I only made it to 4 of them. My kids made it to three and the grand children to 2 so far.

However our provincial government is trying to limit small business to French only.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Hi Idispense,

I am not certain I get your question. If you mean should the rest of Canada go ahead and vote on whether Quebec should be kicked out of Canada, I suppose the folks who want to separate would be thrilled. Remember, when asked totally twisted and indirect questions, twice, Quebec voted to stay in Canada. The majority of Quebeckers are not separatists. The die-hard separatists are vocal, stubborn, and make a lot of noise, and carry plenty of weight in Quebec politics, particularly with the PQ in power. But they are a minority and I believe the movement is finished, for a generation anyway. The population is changing, many more immigrants, and a diluted base of people who would favor an independent Quebec. On a clear question - "Should Quebec separate from the rest of Canada", no chance.
    Hijackers - way to switch the topic to one that nobody really cares about.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    hijackers? topics no one is interested in? really. there is about 1 post every other day on this Canadian opticians subsection of OB. Sorry for the clutter. Wouldnt want to waste too much precious bandwidth here when there is obviously so much more interesting stuff going on.

Occupation
    Great idea! Au revoir.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    keep up the great posts - hindsight, your 20/20 vision looking backwards must be your greatest asset. Looking forward you obviously need a white cane.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Establishing a successful business in Quebec may be entirely different and require a different ability than running the same successful business in another location. That is the relevance.

Occupation
    keep up the great posts - hindsight, your 20/20 vision looking backwards must be your greatest asset. Looking forward you obviously need a white cane.
    Glad at least one of us can provide a great post from time to time.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Establishing a successful business in Quebec may be entirely different and require a different ability than running the same successful business in another location. That is the relevance.
    Bingo, and way less headaches.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    Glad at least one of us can provide a great post from time to time.
    Ah so you finally admit the posts by optimensch are great! Good! Recognizing this is the milestone step for recovery hindsight

Occupation
    Ah so you finally admit the posts by optimensch are great! Good! Recognizing this is the milestone step for recovery hindsight
    Takin the high road to Siestaville!
    Last edited by HindSight2020; 02-01-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I suggest that everybody take a deep breath and stop the attacks on one another.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Even though I love Montreal and Quebec City, I would not start a business there. Were I in need of a Canadian location in a hurry, it would probably be Winnipeg. I have friends there some of whom owe me money, beer, or both.

Occupation
    Could this not be a superb oportunity for somebody with funds or the connection to get them, to start another on-line optical ?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Could this not be a superb oportunity for somebody with funds or the connection to get them, to start another on-line optical ?
    Maybe it's where Clearly Contacts is getting the equipment for their new lab.

Occupation
    They are not selling equipment...................they are selling a full fledged lab with building and grounds

Thread Information