Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big FF Lab in Canada on the block .................................................

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    This is absolute rhetoric and is hysterical at the same time. The lab is privately owned with family money; the Quebec workforce is chalk full of politics and unionization. I'm sure all the family wants to do is get their funds back out of it. With no customers and a crop of unskilled overpaid unionized workers and too many provincial rules, this is already an absolute disaster.

Good luck and may the force be with you!!!!
    Hindsight;

Thank you for your welcomed dose of reality.
    We all may have a bit of Walter Mitty in us (I said a bit), but we have to be realistic
    at the same time.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For someone with the retail volume and working with old equipment this may be an opportunity. Isn't there a large Costco lab in that area ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    For someone with the retail volume and working with old equipment this may be an opportunity. Isn't there a large Costco lab in that area ?
    What happened to your bunch of Optiboard renegades who would dazzle Pauline Marois and her government to give loan guarantees to optical professionals scattered around North America (some of who have never met each other) in order to buy this lab?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That was not I, perhaps reread the posts to find the correct author of that .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Please forgive him , he probably doesn't believe our government would finance bankrupt companies like GM & Chrysler and in so doing penalize good financial management companies like FORD and TOYOTA.

Surely a renegade bunch of optiboarders would qualify for full funding for this project .

An accent is an accent, the Americans will fit right in! LOL
    There it is in black & white.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The suggestion for optiboarders to band together did not come from me but rather Jaqui "Does anyone have an idea about the asking price?? It would be a hoot if a group of OBers banded together and bought it to produce their own lenses"

I only said that if bankrupts like GM AND CHRYSLER could get financing then so could some optiboarders

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I just said it would be fun I didn't say it would happen or that anyone here would try it. IMHO, the people here are too afraid of the unknown to take a step like this to save themselves and the industry as we know it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Actually, you would be surprised at who is on here incognito. There is a lot of $$ lurking on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    I believe it to be a bit far reaching to think that Optiboarders have either access to that kind of cash or financing.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    The real problem is that their is simply over capacity in the surfacing side of the lens market right now, there is simply more capacity than demand. Most companies that have brought in FF lines, have not gotten rid of their old surfacing equipment (some have though) Although niches remain to be filled, its a niche only game if you want to go forward.

Niches require deeper pockets, some vision, a willingness to be flexible, more creativity and more patience, THOSE are what is in shortest supply...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Please don't speak on my behalf or others on this board who could make this happen. Some of us thrive on doing what others would not expect.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And there are Quebec 'language police' issues to consider, too. I understand that they become upset if the non-French word "Hi" is used.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    +1

Occupation
    And there are Quebec 'language police' issues to consider, too. I understand that they become upset if the non-French word "Hi" is used.
    I would be in jail forever

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I have done a little search on an interesting theme.

1) OCULAB, the lab is listed on their website at a Toronto address http://rpowe2.wix.com/new-eng-oculab#!contact/c2q4

2) the actual location is in Laval QC, adjoining Montreal, 340 miles east of Toronto.

My theory is the lab was installed in that location because of the agressive way the Quebec Government helps financing
    large and expensive industrial projects within the province by loan guarantees and others (http://www.investquebec.com/en/index...3&sec=10&pro=3 ) to help startups or re-finance.

I believe this may be a failed or postponed venture by Innova medical to expand into the lens manufacturing field. See their contact info here: http://www.innovamed.com/contact
    Same addresses as the Oculab previously posted above.

Most likely a lack of properly trained staff to operate the lens manufacturing equipment, along with a lack of understanding of the nuances of lens coatings & manufacturing techniques, coupled with an unfamiliar product selection played a part in the closure.

Just a guess.

Occupation
    Has anyone here contacted Oculab about this?? Real information is much more valuable than speculation.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by ManitobaOD View Post
    I believe this may be a failed or postponed venture by Innova medical to expand into the lens manufacturing field. See their contact info here: http://www.innovamed.com/contact
    Same addresses as the Oculab previously posted above.

Most likely a lack of properly trained staff to operate the lens manufacturing equipment, along with a lack of understanding of the nuances of lens coatings & manufacturing techniques, coupled with an unfamiliar product selection played a part in the closure.

Just a guess.
    It's a 100% total failure in all aspects. They probably thought the customers would flock quickly and that running a manufacturing facility peddling lenses in an industry sector they know nothing about would be simple.

I'm not surprised a bit. Companies should stick to what they do and know best and stop trying to be greedy for market share attempting to satisfy everyone.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    It's a 100% total failure in all aspects. They probably thought the customers would flock quickly and that running a manufacturing facility peddling lenses in an industry sector they know nothing about would be simple.

I'm not surprised a bit. Companies should stick to what they do and know best and stop trying to be greedy for market share attempting to satisfy everyone.
    You are 100% correct. They should make a "real men of genius" bud light commercial about this. It was a big mistake for Apple to go beyond the mac and open I-Tunes, make the I-Pod, I-Pad, and get in the cell phone business. GE should have stuck to appliances. What do they know about transportation, finance, broadcasting, etc. PPG should have stuck to making plate glass and windshields. What do they know about rx lenses and paint. What does Luxottica know about running retailers and insurance companies. All they know about is how to make frames. It was a big mistake for Nike to start making golf clubs. All they know is shoes..... The list goes on and on.

Don't confuse greed with the drive to be successful. The Stan Tabor believe that smart business people can translate their success accross different industries if they are well funded, savvy, and surround themselves with talent.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Has anyone here contacted Oculab about this?? Real information is much more valuable than speculation.
    I contacted Oculab directly. They told me that they are waiting for an offer to purchased from Jacqui.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

We do actually have a language police, a smoking police (checking for smokers in office or workplaces) .

My website was originally in english only and they forced me to make a french version in a period of 3 month or face a fine of $ 10,000.00.
    We now have a new separatist minority government since last summer and they want to push french even more.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do actually have a language police, a smoking police (checking for smokers in office or workplaces) .

My website was originally in english only and they forced me to make a french version in a period of 3 month or face a fine of $ 10,000.00.
    We now have a new separatist minority government since last summer and they want to push french even more.
    Sacre Blue!!

Occupation

Sacre Blue!!
    it's bleu.......................not blue

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    it's bleu.......................not blue
    Many thanks.
    Would this qualify for a fine in Quebec?

Occupation
    of couse not.........................anybody trying to make an effort is warmly welcome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

And donta forgetta to greasea the palmas of the snivel servants, along da way...................just sayin"
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    I notice on the Oculab website that they have a poly/Trivex hybrid FSV product called Quatrex. Any OB'ers familiar with this material and/or had experience with it?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OIC View Post
    I notice on the Oculab website that they have a poly/Trivex hybrid FSV product called Quatrex. Any OB'ers familiar with this material and/or had experience with it?
    Info from the manufacturer of Quatrex can be found here: http://www.polyopticsint.com/#!quatrex

Thread Information