Thread: OPTICIANS: Does an Optometrist add legitimacy to your practice?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

OPTICIANS: Does an Optometrist add legitimacy to your practice?

I was wondering whether having an OD at your optical is a big deal to Opticians?

Does having an onsite OD make your optical more legitimate?

Are ODs a valuable entity to Opticians/Opticals?

I ask this because I am currently considering a position within an Optical and a private practice. Although I will be earning about 20% more in the Optical, I don't necessarily think it is beneficial since there is no future guarantee of employment....I feel with the private practice that I am more valued, more sought after due to my primary care role, whereas for the Optical I would be there to primarily make profits for the owner by providing examinations....

Thanks-all

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yes

Why of course you would help make the optical profit. They are responsible for filling the rx and the service that follows. It cost money to run the optical department. The optical is the hardest part of the business. As an OD you come in, see patients and go home. You get paid for your time. It's pretty simple compared to all the head aches of running the optical. Competition is tough. Wal-Mart, Costco,all the national discounters and now the internet. Really? You should sell from the exam chair and help the optical make money. Be thankful they are handling all the head aches and major overhead. Be smart! Leave the optical to somebody else.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by marktheeyeguy View Post
    Leave the optical to somebody else.
    I think you misread the post. It appears the poster is contemplating staying at an optical practice, or going with an (OD's?) private practice. (I think)

I ask this because I am currently considering a position within an Optical and a private practice.
    To the OP: Is the optical a chain, or an optician's practice? Why would a private practice have more job security?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our stores couldn't survive without our optometrists. One of our locations has been without a doctor for months now and business is just terrible there. We have outside Rx patients, but it is no where near the volume you get when you have an in-house doctor. The doctors help us make money, but we also help them build a practice.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Adouble Whammy View Post
    I was wondering whether having an OD at your optical is a big deal to Opticians?
    Sometimes. It depends on the OD. In some cases it's better to have no OD than one that is more concerned with primary care.

Does having an onsite OD make your optical more legitimate?
    Again, it depends on the OD.

Are ODs a valuable entity to Opticians/Opticals?
    Often, they can be, but it's not automatic.

I would be there to primarily make profits for the owner by providing examinations....
    You say "profit" like it's a bad thing. If you took the private practice position, would you still not be making a profit?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mal21 View Post
    Our stores couldn't survive without our optometrists. One of our locations has been without a doctor for months now and business is just terrible there. We have outside Rx patients, but it is no where near the volume you get when you have an in-house doctor. The doctors help us make money, but we also help them build a practice.
    I survived with no OD for 3 1/2 years, not a cake walk by any means, but it can be done. This was after I was in the office for about 7 years and had a good following myself, so you have to depend on your skills. Oh, and I made a profit each of those years, not tooting my horn, just fact,

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...I've also had offices that I nearly had to close because the optometrist was dead set on putting EVERYONE into contact lenses!

New OD...problem solved.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    ...I've also had offices that I nearly had to close because the optometrist was dead set on putting EVERYONE into contact lenses!

New OD...problem solved.
    I have heard about stuff like that.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think your location dictates whether or not you can survive without an OD. It's been a struggle for me. A local OD with a cabinet full of patient files is a huge asset. Otherwise, it can be done - but it is difficult.

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Be sure of the laws governing Optometry in your state. Some states do not allow an OD to be employed by opticians. Is the owner of the optical promising a guaranteed salary?
    You may also talk to the owner about a partnership or possibly letting you own the optometric practice and contact lens business and refer all Rx's to him.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Opticians are like a car without gas...an electric heater without electricity. We need Rx to survive and we cannot produce those Rx ourselves. If you wait apon the local Od to send the Rx your way, your dreaming. Consider the amount of money the OD looses every time a Rx leaves his office. If opticians had the right to refract you would see a large change in the optical playing field. As of now OD control the roost. This also disreagrds my opinion that the exam and sale of eyeglasses is a conflict of interest for the OD & MD. Should pharmacies be allowed to sell cigarettes and then furnish the medication need to control the patients lung cancer. Until we arrive a a more just arrangement, opticians are the low man on the totem pole and have to kiss a_s for every Rx. getting an Od in your shop will defiately secure the Rx you need to survive.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    Should pharmacies be allowed to sell cigarettes and then furnish the medication need to control the patients lung cancer.
    Most pharmacies that I know of here in the states sell cigs!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think your location dictates whether or not you can survive without an OD. It's been a struggle for me.
    Absolutely. The plaza that has our location that I was referring to...is a ghost town. Once was a great place for business years ago, but everything has left. The only thing that draws real volume over here is the grocery store at the other end of the strip. We have an optician that has been at that office for 17 years with a major loyal following...but, generally speaking, they need exams.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Adouble Whammy View Post
    I was wondering whether having an OD at your optical is a big deal to Opticians? NOt so much.

Does having an onsite OD make your optical more legitimate? NO!

Are ODs a valuable entity to Opticians/Opticals? For dollar value, not professional value!

I ask this because I am currently considering a position within an Optical and a private practice. Although I will be earning about 20% more in the Optical, I don't necessarily think it is beneficial since there is no future guarantee of employment....I feel with the private practice that I am more valued, more sought after due to my primary care role, whereas for the Optical I would be there to primarily make profits for the owner by providing examinations....

Thanks-all
    You're most welcome, sir/ma'am!
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    I hate to generalize, but let me generalize.

My general take is that shops that are optician without a doc tend to be slightly higher end and pay closer attention to the frames they offer and often have unique frames on their boards. The shops with Docs are straightforward opticals and often have more oversight which can stifle the creativity of the optician. Many exceptions to this. Just an overly generalized observation.

Regarding which is better, you will often get a steadier flow of patients with a Doc, but perhaps less upside on potential profits depending upon the comp/ownership setup for the dispensery. Again, many exceptions. The opticians we see on this board are typically the serious professionals that have the skills to operate there own shop. Obvious concerns with opticians opening shops without serious skills, education and experience.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Most pharmacies that I know of here in the states sell cigs!
    It would be like opticals dispensing addictive eye drops that cause your vision to degenerate.

Thread Information