Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Insight!!

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Confused Need Some Insight!!

I am currently an ABO/ NCLE certified Optician. I work for a private doctors office making 12.00 hr. No commission, No Bonus. I have been in the optical field since 2002 in various non-licensed states due to military family re-location. I have worked it all. SGH, LC, Visionworks and private offices doing teching, front desk, dispensing, ordering and all that jazz. My current position requires me to do all three. Tech, Front desk and billing and sell and adjust/ dispense glasses. My question to all you fine people is am I fairly paid for my responsibilities? I feel as if I am sorely underpaid given my experience. I am also taking classes through my local community college to get my AS in Opticianry to be able to become state licensed. Any thoughts or suggestions on a "fair" salary would be helpful.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think you being ABO/NCLE but non-licensed in a licensed state, that is a fair salary. Once you get licensed I'd expect/ask for around a 25% increase in base salary.

In my experience you get a better base salary in non-licensed states, but have a lower 'peak' salary. In licensed states, base is lower, but you can earn more if you work for it. ie: certifications, licenses, degrees, etc.
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I pay my receptionist more than that. If pay's that low in Fl, I'm glad I don't live there!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Lab techs here are $15.00+ for trainees. Dispensers are just a bit over that for trainees. Plus at least basic benefits and maybe a bonus or two.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Im in Pa and I started below 11 an hour now im 3 years in and im over 12 ill tell you that much and thats not including the fact i just passed ABO in november. I could see why in a liscensed state you may get less because of the fact you are not but that does suck:( Here in PA i know ill never make 20 30 an hour like some of you rich people lol but im ok with that.......for now

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remember reading somewhere that the average Optician in the U.S. gets paid somewhere between $20k and $50k per year. so in the middle of that is $35k which works out to around $17/hr. So you are on the lower end of that, but there are regional factors, corporate vs. independent, licensed vs. non licensed that all can push it one way or the other.

I've been working in this field for 15 years, and hit a plateau of $15/hr for almost 10 of that. It was somewhat due to changing jobs or states, but mostly because I was nervous to ask for anything more.

If you honestly think you are worth more, and have proven your skills and dedication to the job, ask for more money. Go get it!
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you can edge lenses you should definately ask for more. Usually the way up the pay scale is to change to another job that needs your skill set more than your current employer is willing to pay. If everyone else in your office is ABO/NCLE as well then asking for more money may be difficult unless you have specific skills that not just anyone can perform. Good luck.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticalChica View Post
    I am currently an ABO/ NCLE certified Optician. I work for a private doctors office making 12.00 hr. No commission, No Bonus. I have been in the optical field since 2002 in various non-licensed states due to military family re-location. I have worked it all. SGH, LC, Visionworks and private offices doing teching, front desk, dispensing, ordering and all that jazz. My current position requires me to do all three. Tech, Front desk and billing and sell and adjust/ dispense glasses. My question to all you fine people is am I fairly paid for my responsibilities? I feel as if I am sorely underpaid given my experience. I am also taking classes through my local community college to get my AS in Opticianry to be able to become state licensed. Any thoughts or suggestions on a "fair" salary would be helpful.
    OpticalChica,

I realize that you are asking about your pay, however, I'll touch on another issue. Word of caution in Florida. Based on the Florida statute, you may be certified by ABO and or NCLE but MAY NOT call yourself an Optician in Florida. Caution regarding even hanging your certificates on the wall. If you are taking classes in Tampa, check with Bill Underwood regarding that.

484.002 Definitions.—As used in this part:

(4) “Optician” means any person licensed to practice opticianry pursuant to this part.

484.013 Violations and penalties.—

(2) It is unlawful for any person other than an optician licensed under this part to use the title “optician” or otherwise lead the public to believe that she or he is engaged in the practice of opticianry.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    With your moving around, you should consider getting your degree in Ophthalmic Science. Hillsborough Community College in Fla and JS Reynolds in Richmond, Va offer quality distance learning programs to support you. Once you have the degree, the path to becoming licensed in different states becomes much more achievable and with that would come improved skills and compensation.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your Doc's feel that's what the position is worth and obviously it can be filled for that miserly wage for the responsibilities it entails and until that changes you're SOL.

A fair salary would seem to me to be at least $15 + benefits but I'm willing to bet the Doc's feel their fair salary is a thousand bucks a week more than they now make.

Keep looking for better opportunities and welcome to Optiboard!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My current position requires me to do all three. Tech, Front desk and billing and sell and adjust/ dispense glasses. My question to all you fine people is am I fairly paid for my responsibilities? I feel as if I am sorely underpaid given my experience.
    My first job in optical sounds similar to what you are doing now, and I started at $12/hr. My boss was great though and gave quarterly raises based on how we continued to learn and make the office better. By the time I left 3 1/2 years later, I was making $14.00 + bonuses + ins. benefits. It was a great job where I learned a lot and felt confident in my skills. So when the time came to move, it was easier explaining what my skills were worth to my new employer even though we had moved to an area where wages are generally lower. I now have had to relocate again, and this time they wanted to start me out at $12 again. I explained that I would accept that so long as we established goals, that if I met, would mean raises as they were accomplished. Less than a year later I'm back up to where I was before and working on new goals to meet. What I'm trying to articulate is that you have to ask for what you want and have good concrete examples of why you are worth what you want! It sounds to me like you're worth it!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    $12 an hour is entry level pay in my opinion but every state and employer will vary. If you move around a lot (military) you won't really be able to establish yourself in your local community, get to know reps, labs and other people in the business in your area. Another thing is you must be is indespensible. If you stand out in your position whether it be that you can work the front desk, billing dept, sales floor, pre-testing and lab or that you are simply excellent at customer interaction, you have a better chance of asking for and receiving better pay. Be progressive in your thinking, present your ideas, be a problem solver.

So your question was "what would a fair salary be?" If I were to hire someone with your experience and if I liked the way you presented yourself then 14.00 per hour to start would seem about right.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When Jesse James was asked why he robbed banks he said " Because that's where the money is." From your post it sounds like you work for a single private OD. Very few single OD offices generate enough revenue to pay top dollar. You generally make more at a multi Dr. location, preferably MD's. They tend to generate far more overall revenue and can afford to offer a better salary, and usually better hours ( Like 9-5 M-F ).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have an associates degree in optical, ABO/NCLE, and my Connecticut state license, and when my submariner husband was transfered to Washington State, I didn't bother to get my license because it was hard for me to get to where the testing took place and I had a new baby. I worked at a private optometrist practice and made 13.50/hr.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thank You Everyone for your advice and input. I have a review coming up soon and I am gathering my thoughts and a better idea of what to go in with. I appreciate everyone's experiences. It's nice to get a pulse check from across the board of what other people make for a salary. Thanks Again!! Keep you posted!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are painfully under paid in my opinion! With your skill and knowledge you should be making at least 15.00 an hour. You may want to point out to your employer how valuable these things are to his/her practice. Pt retention, low remakes, less refracts eating up dr's valuable time, I could go on and on!! Be confident in your value! If you are feeling under valued, look somewhere else. There are offices that will be more than happy to get someone with your skills and pay you accordingly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that you may be overpaid!

It seems that my area is filled with practices paying $9-$10 an hour for those same duties and expect more!

Can I move near you?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I think that you may be overpaid!

It seems that my area is filled with practices paying $9-$10 an hour for those same duties and expect more!

Can I move near you?
    I was about to say. I work up patients, do insurance, adjustments, repairs, dispensing, reception work, and with a year's experience, got my pay bumped up to $8.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Advice: Keep ;looking, there are better situations for peeps like you. A fellow that I met 30+ years ago told me to keep learning, if these guys aren't willing to pay you for what you learn, somebody else will. Finally, don't quit your job merely because it's a crappy job. You only quit when you have secured a job that you think is less crappy.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    You are underpaid. Way underpaid.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    I was about to say. I work up patients, do insurance, adjustments, repairs, dispensing, reception work, and with a year's experience, got my pay bumped up to $8.
    Brow, you're the lowest paid optician I know of in the Houston area ( I know a lot of them). Avg. is about double that, my opticians make almost 3x that.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

minimum legal wage is now at $ 10.00 an hour................................

Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post

Here in the Province Quebec the minimum legal wage is now at $ 10.00 an hour.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Here in the Province Quebec the minimum legal wage is now at $ 10.00 an hour.
    Canadians are always ahead of the Americans on minimum wage. Especially Quebec, Ontario and usually B.C. I don't have any info on the other Provinces.

Another point that can come from Chris's post: Have you ever considered another country?? Canada, most of Western Europe, and Australia/New Zealand may be attractive. Just consider the cost of living.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Advice: Keep ;looking, there are better situations for peeps like you. A fellow that I met 30+ years ago told me to keep learning, if these guys aren't willing to pay you for what you learn, somebody else will. Finally, don't quit your job merely because it's a crappy job. You only quit when you have secured a job that you think is less crappy.
    Exactly what I did in my early career. Not going to hang around if I wasn't being taught anything new. I found a few jobs where they would teach me what I wanted and needed to know (old lab guys are a wealth of infomation) and then I filled in the rest on my own. Eventually you will be a well rounded and better paid commodity.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Brow, you're the lowest paid optician I know of in the Houston area ( I know a lot of them). Avg. is about double that, my opticians make almost 3x that.
    Got any openings?*

*You do pay relocation fees right?

Thread Information