View Poll Results: Opticians Only: Are you a VSP provider ?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but I do it under an OD's name in the office.

3 9.38%
  • No I've never been a VSP provider.

8 25.00%
  • I wasa VSP provider but it was taken away.

3 9.38%
  • I am a VSP provider, but I "sold" 51% of the business to an OD to qualify.

1 3.13%
  • I want nothing to do with VSP

17 53.13%

Thread: Opticians and VSP

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Opticians and VSP

How many independent opticians are "under cover" with VSP ? I know quite a few that have been playing the "51% ownership( ;) ) game for some time now and they don't seem to be having a problem. I know of 2 that even got audited but VSP was mostly just looking @ documentation on the OD's records. Are they getting more lax since Eyemed is putting the pressure on to sow more office in more neighborhoods ?

Just wondering...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is the 51 % ownership requirement even legal? Is O.D. or M.D. ownership if an off site (non-roof shareing) dispensary legal under the common roof judgement?

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

We as eye care professionals are being victimized by insurance companies, and eyecare consumers. the clients hire the insurance company for a fee to negotiate the best fee for services, with some plans actually "paying" part of the fee, for a higher fee from the client, the insurance company's costs in this process is creating and handling all the paperwork; then the insurance company comes to us, pretty much forces us to inflate the retail prices, so they can say they negotiated bigger discounts. between competing in the retail market and being squeezed in the insurance provider arena, I don't think we can do both; so we can't participate in VSP which is I think is just a scam whereby the insurance company gets the company/employees to prepay for their eyewear under the guise of a benefit. We are thankful we aren't allowed to participate, since all we do is glasses. We just dropped ECPA and EyeMed, when they change the frame pricing rules a while back, we're basically losing money on their clientele. we're better off just dealing with non-insurance clients. in most cases, the insurance companies are profiting more on each eyewear sale than we are. think about it.

Bad address email on file kjw1231's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Heard through the grapevine...

I heard that Eye-Med is completeing the acquisition of VSP. After Jan. 1st I am told that it just won't matter.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find myself with a terrible situation on all "insurance plans". I am losing many, many patients who have been good loyal patients for decades because of "insurance plans." In many cases the doctor's office supports these plans and feels no obligation to send the patients back since we do (cannot) offer this plans, so he fills the Rx in-house. Those "ligitamate" insurance companies seem to have a hard time paying for prosthetic eyes to a non-physician non-hospital entity. We have insurance and state supported plans that authorize "pre-approval" and then pay nothing or a pitance as compared to "ususal and customary" then they tell us we cannot bill for the difference (who are they to tell us this?).

We have BC/BS that some employees tell us they don't even concider a claim until it's filed for the third time (by which time they feel many claims will have given up.) In many cases the insurance company pays the patient (a patient that we did not collect at time of delivery on, because they had no funds), the patient conciders this a bonus over payment and keeps the money.

I can't tell you how many times BC/BS has rejected a claim and then when asked about same, rejected it again because of the changes made on thier advise.

The whole system is badly broken.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The Great American Dreamer.....

The average U.S. consumer is a dreamer! They (and we may resemble this remark) think that there is a "New Deal" out there where one can get something for nothing and something better for only a small co-pay. What a Country!

We want frame companies and labs to give us a deal just as our customers want the best deal we can find ..... and sadly for our nation this is often without regard to loyalty to friendships, companies or our home areas.

VSP is a sham that has been sold to OD's as a practice builder and unfortunately, even though some have finally realized that it is not, they are afraid to quit. VSP will probably be the next Enron or Qwest. Some very slick OD's at the top got focused on taking their profession for a ride and have succeeded in not only raping their own kind but opticianry as well ..... not to speak of what it has done to the consumer.

OptiBoard Novice
    Probably 60% of patients that come to my office have VSP. As annoying as it is to deal with the claims sometimes, I must admit that if we didn't have VSP we would lose a lot of our business. Therefore, I can't complain about it too much.

Beth

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Beth, I'd think that if you have that much VSP clients, you surely must have to charge your non-VSP patients a lot more to compensate...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thank you for accepting VSP

because that leave us "unqualified" independent opticians with only full-pay patients.

Imagine seeing 50% less clients and making the same amount of money, cash on the barrel-head and no paperwork or fear of audits. :cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Homer wins the prize! He hit it right on the head ! You need a lot more employees to service a lot of VSP patients, that take a lot of your time, require you to stock a lot of products, and all for a little bit of money.

Why not sit back and let all the ODs and opticians fight over that big pie with no taste, while the smart guys go for the little slice with all the flavor ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not everybody wants or drives a luxury car. I prefer to work with the people who know and appreciate quality eyewear and professional dispensing services. The person who drives up in a rust bucket gets the same quality at the town Mayor because thats what I have to offer.

VSP has forced a lot of unsuspecting, uninformed consumers into an unprofessional assembly line thinkg they were saving a few bucks.

OD's have done it to themselves --- amazing activity in a profession that is highly educated and attempting to present themselves as medical doctors!

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    BAM829 said:
    , I must admit that if we didn't have VSP we would lose a lot of our business.
    I'm seeing a lot of resentment about this "VSP" scheme and how its losing you profits, wasting time etc.
    If VSP is so bad why not get together and either try to change how things get done or just drop the scheme all together. If they lost, say 50% of outlets then VSP would have to do something to entice you back as people and companies paying the bills would start dropping out as its too hard to find somewhere that they can use local..
    BAM, If you dropped the scheme would you really lose all the customers?
    Most insurance scams over here work by the customer paying upfront and then sending the reciept to the ins company who then send a check back for whatever amount you (the customer) are covered for.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Confused

Pete Hanlin said:
    Basically, if one doctor decides against carrying VSP, one can rest assured there will be another doctor right down the street eager and willing to sign up.

Of course, all this "enthusiasm" for VSP comes from the irrational line of thinking "Anything's better than an empty chair."
    But if the scheme is so bad, why do they want to signup for it...We all know bad news travels far quicker than good, Unless you eye docs state side dont talk to each other.....
    Logic says a empty chair is better than a full one that only breaks even at best...... At least you dont have to light and heat the room its in......

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Give me an empty chair (and cleaner carpets, smaller staff, less stock, less paperwork, more control of my business...) any day over VSP.

When I was a sales rep, it was amazing how many OD's would ask me "What did Dr. XX down the street buy from you ?" They were always afraid that they would not have the same product and were missing out on some big secret. Of course VSP thrives on that mentality. The OD's don't want to miss out even if it's not a good deal. It's like the emperor's new suite of clothes. No body will admit they're getting a lousy deal.

Enter EyeMed. Now they come on the scene and tell opticians, "we've got a similar deal that you can take also, but it's only 3/4 as lousy." Whoopee !!

Cash is King, Queen, Prince, & Princess all rolled into one !

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love your fish analogy, Pete!!!
    Last edited by varmint; 08-27-2002 at 01:30 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Re: Heard through the grapevine...

kjw1231 said:
    I heard that Eye-Med is completeing the acquisition of VSP. After Jan. 1st I am told that it just won't matter.
    It is now 2003. This rumor has surfaced many times. I can tell you that if EyeMed/ECPA /Luxottica were to "purchase" VSP, there would be many THOUSANDS of ODs dropping it, overnight.

There is an undercurrent of dissatisfaction among ODs concerning VSP and their policies. There have been numerous resignations from the plan. A takeover by those guys would bury it.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Undercurrents ? You're much too kind. The OD's I talk to are outraged. However, they'll still be outraged 10 years from now...and they'll still be taking VSP

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The reality is that my average monthly check from VSP was double in 1987, when I joined, than today. Yet I probably see twice as many VSP patients.

Regardless of the number of patients they supply to my office, if the average check is too low, they will be gone.

Thread Information