Thread: Vee $$$?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vee $$$?

I was asked this question today.
    How much do they charge per Sq foot for VEE?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can't reply specifically on VEE, but have a friend who has been a vendor @ a number of shows in a different industry. Boy did he give me an education. It's not just the cost of the space.

Want a table? $$
    Need a chair to sit down after six hours on your feet?? $$
    Electricity? $$
    Carry in any of your own product? Nope. You leave it at the loading dock and the venue staff carry it to your booth. $$
    Forgot or didn’t bother to tip the guys bringing the boxes in? You silly boy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No one wants to share...:(

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ill look into it!

a fellow member who usually chimes in on expo free tickets may know. ACAR I believe? You may want to pm them and see what they can give you?

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/member.php/8050-acar

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rumor has it that in previous years, a 9 X 9 space, going rate was $10,000.

I am too dopey to do the math.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Those that know can't tell. How about our Greek friend that is exhibiting? How about Chris (from past years).
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't imagine that the optical expos are much different from this:

From the site:http://www.exhibitsusa.com/trade-sho...onventions-FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I select the right trade booths and shows for my company?

Your trade show displays and the shows you attend with it depend on your sales and marketing objectives, target market and budget. Review your marketing plan and see if exhibiting trade show booths fit into the mix. To come up with a list of shows, ask your customers which trade shows they attend. You can also search online for trade shows using our trade show calendar. You’ll come up with a handful of events for trade show booths that will have the potential to reach your target market.
    Then, you’ll want to review the attendee profile for each show. Most shows provide detailed attendee demographics. You can examine data on the industries, titles and purchasing power of the show's attendees. Next, estimate the costs associated with rental space for trade show booths, show services, shipping, booth installation, travel, accommodations and marketing. With this information, you can rank the shows accordingly and choose the best ones.
    Check out the Convention Center Information page to see what trade show convention centers are the most popular.

Why should I attend a trade show or convention? What are the objectives served by attending one, or exhibiting with trade show booths and displays?

According to the Center for Exhibition Industry Research, there were over 14,000 trade shows and conferences in the U.S. in 2005. Whatever industry you may specialize in, there’s a trade show, conference or expo just for you.
    Check out the Convention Center Information page to see what trade show convention centers are the most popular.
    Exhibiting with trade show booths puts you face-to-face with hundreds and sometimes thousands of qualified attendees. Many of those attendees use their industries’ big trade shows to research products and services before a purchase. An industry study found 83% of attendees have some type of buying power.
    For an exhibitor, these attendees are a good source of new leads and even show floor sales. Twenty-two percent of sales and marketing executives say trade shows are the top-producer of leads among all their marketing programs. In addition, the costs of generating and closing a qualified lead via exhibiting with trade show booths is less than that of generating and closing a field lead, according to the CEIR Study on Economics of Exhibiting.

How much freedom will I be given by the convention hall in choosing where my display is placed? What are the criteria for determining which ones are good and which are bad?

At the most popular trade shows, booths are usually placed according to seniority. Exhibitors that attend the show year after year will have first choice of the show floor and often book next year’s space during the current show. If this is your first time exhibiting at the show, try to book your space as early as possible. You’ll have more options from which to select.
    The best spaces for trade show displays are the ones that get the most foot traffic. These are usually the ones closest to the hall entrance and corner spaces, which provide traffic from intersecting aisles. Because they are the most desirable, these spaces may come at a premium cost.
    Try to avoid spaces with obstructions, such as columns or polls. It may be difficult to build your trade show display around these obstacles. Also, while they may seem like high-traffic areas, being near the food court or restrooms might not give you the exposure you expect. Those attendees have a personal agenda to eat or make a personal pit stop.
    If you don’t get your preferred space, don’t worry. You can still drive traffic to your booth with effective pre-show promotions, such as email and direct mail postcards, and at-show advertising.

What can I do to stand out from the other trade show booths on the convention floor?

The best thing you can do is know your target market and show objectives. You have only about three seconds to grab attendees’ attention, so you’ll need to put together an effective and customized trade show displays and trade show graphics. Keep in mind how attendees will enter your booth. Will traffic come from one or multiple sides? Place graphics at each entrance at eye-level or above so attendees can quickly identify your company and what you do. Using bold images and simple messages will also help stop traffic and then it’s up to your booth staff to continue your show objectives.
    Our trade show display consultants can help you create functional and affordable trade show displays and graphics.

What should I look for in a trade show display exhibit company?

Exhibiting a booth at trade shows and events is complex. You should look for a company for trade show booths that provides not only trade show displays and trade show graphics, but offers a full range of services, including exhibit rentals, storage, shipping and installation. It will save you stress and money in the long-run by finding a supplier of trade show booths to partner with in a long-term relationship. While online retailers might be able to sell you a cheap display, they won’t be able to provide you with custom trade show exhibit designs or assist you with emergency situations when you’re stuck on the show floor.

What percentage of my event budget should I dedicate to actual trade show booths?

The industry average to purchase individual portable trade show booths is $100-$150 per square foot. For example, 10x10 pop-up displays would cost between $10,000 and $15,000.
    Your event budget allocation will vary, but according to EXHIBITOR Magazine, here’s how the average trade show budget breaks down:

• Space = 33%
    • Trade Show Booths & Graphics (construction/refurbishment) = 18%*
    • Travel & Expenses = 18%
    • Show Services (electricity, cleaning, drayage, I&D) = 12%
    • Shipping = 9%
    • Promotion = 8%
    • Miscellaneous = 2%

In addition, you can estimate your total event budget by multiplying the cost of your space by three. For example, the average floor space costs $21 per square foot. So, for a 20x20 floor space rental expect to pay around $8,400. The budget for that event would be $25,200.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I don't recall the numbers for NY off the top of my head. I looked up Vegas and it was $32.50 per SF if you paid early. There are disconts for Vision Council members. There are extra potential space charges as well. You want a corner, you pay extra. You want a spotlight, you pay extra. You want electricity its extra. You want to hang a light, you need to use a union guy. Extra extra extra. Carpeting alone is probably another $3 per SF. Everything is extra. You want a cardboard trash can, you pay something like $40. And you get the pleasure of being treated like an idiot if you ask a question to any of the workers at Javits.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks everybody!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have not exhibited at Vision Expo, but I had to pay an electrician $200 to simply plug in a power cord, into an outlet (i was prohibited from doing myself). The electricity was extra still, at another show.

The rental is not the highest cost... A good looking and well designed booth can cost a fortune. Some companies pay millions for the portable walls, portable offices, and back-lit displays, signs etc. They have to look good, be unique, and survive travel and storage around the world. Cost per sq foot can be $50 -$200 depending on how fancy or unique you want to go.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Hmmm. I just saw this post for the first time. There's a lot of misinformation. First, there are different prices for members of The Vision Council vs. non-members which is a standard practice amongst many trade shows. Second, there is different prices if you sign up at "space draw" which is typically held about 13 months before the next event. Think of it as early bird pricing. There has also been different pricing at East depending on which level you're on. That was due to construction at the Javits and is slowly being modified.

Also, if you take a standard 10x10 booth it does come with certain features like a table, garbage can, signage, pipe & drape and carpet included. Comments like "if you want to take a seat, $$$" aren't true. For a member 10x10 at East, you can have a booth with basic amenities that has access to 18,000 eyecare professionals (not including 8,000+ vendor staff) for $3415. No other show comes close to delivering the number of attendees across all 3 O's plus buyers like Vision Expo. There are also a multitude of FREE marketing & PR programs offered by Vision Expo to attract customers to your booth that are not offered by any other shows.

2014 East Level 3
    NON-member

$37.30 space draw/$39.40 after show
    corner charge $525
    $35.20 space draw/$36.77 after show
    corner charge $525

2014 West
    Non-Member

37.82 space draw/40.45 after show
    corner charge: $525
    34.15 space draw/36.25 after show
    corner charge: $525

Full information about exhibiting can be found at http://www.visionexpoeast.com/For-Ex...in-Exhibiting/. If you are interested in participating in this event, please contact Chris Domans, Sales Manager, by phone at 203-840-5827, or by email cdomans@reedexpo.com.
    Last edited by acar; 02-21-2013 at 12:04 PM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Acar, please reread the first paragragh of my post before you criticize with:
    "Comments like "if you want to take a seat, $$$" aren't true.

What I said was, "Can't reply specifically on VEE, but have a friend who has been a vendor @ a number of shows in a different industry. Boy did he give me an education."

I was very careful to state that my examples were comments from a friend in a different industry, and not specific references to Vision Expo.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    acar is right. Stan is wrong. The lowest rate is $34.15 per SF. Stan said it was $32.50. Has acar ever seen what Freeman charges to rent furniture? Or pay for carpet? The carpet and drapes provided are not suitable for a company trying to market a first rate product or service. And regarding the tables provided, Stan heard a rumour that after VEE, they are sent to Madison Square Garden for the next WWF event. These tables are set up outside of the ring and wrestlers are body slammed onto them and they split into two. Again this is a rumour. Stan is going to ask someone in the know about this at VEW.

Freeman charges laborers at something like $165 an hour. And if you want set up help, they will typically assign a minimum of 3 people so you are paying almost $500 an hour for set up. Electricians to install power and hang lights cost even more. And you get the pleasure of dealing with New York's best and most courteous people. Stan assumes the owners of VEE don't get a cut of Freeman fees, but for the exhibitor, it is all a cost. That is life in the world of big time convention halls.

I am not going to challenge the numbers regarding attendees as I am sure they are valid. And I agree that VEE and VEW are the premier optical events.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper the yearly cost for exhibitions was between $ 30,000 to $ 40,000.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

Those that know can't tell. How about our Greek friend that is exhibiting? How about Chris (from past years).
    I cant give exact figures as it has been over 10 years and the records have been deleted.

As far as I can remember it was $ 4,500 for a single booth. I had a double which was $ 9,000. Then you had to rent the tables for about $ 100, 00 each.
    Plastic chairs you could buy for $ 15.00 rented for $ 30.00. Ashtrays $ 15.00. Electric outlets were also some $ 30.00 a piece. Daily vacuum cleaning another $ 100.00.

All in all, the weekend was over $ 10,000, then there was the same going to Las Vegas, plus shipping the material and the flights for 2 or 3 people, and then also the old OLA. So the yearly cost for exhibitions was between $ 30,000 to $ 40,000. When you take the large corporations like LUX and Essilor and others, we used to try to estimate the cost and came to anything between 3 and $ 500,000 for their booth.

We used to get a couple of hundred visitors to our booth over the 3 days, and went home with mediocre sales. I still remember the Arab Sheik who sneaked in before opening time and came to the booth, lifted his white dress and came out with a bundle of Dollars and peeled out $ 4,000 in cash and gave it to me and told me to send him dyes for it. Today these poeple now have all their own shows in every corner of the world.

Today for the few hundred Dollars my website costs me per year I get over 500 visitors a day to an average of 18,000 per month. They can come and go whenever they want, and look up the information they want and I reach interest in totally other areas than only the optical. So it costs me a few hours a day to keep it up, but I get a lot more traffic I would ever get at an exhibition.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Can't speak to chairs, etc. but 10x10 this year is $4175.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Vision Expo charges for a booth have not changed.............................

Quote Originally Posted by blindboy View Post

Can't speak to chairs, etc. but 10x10 this year is $4175.

The price of a bread in 2000 was 99 cents

in 2012 it was :
    There's such a wide range that a single number is impossible to state.
    In the US it ranges from about $0.80 up to several dollars per loaf.
    I can still make 2 loafs of 1 lbs rye bread for a total of 35 cents.

Vision Expo charges for a booth have not changed in 13 years, and what does it mean ? Either the make tons of money or they lost a lot of exhibitors along the way.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The price of a bread in 2000 was 99 cents

in 2012 it was :...
    There's such a wide range that a single number is impossible to state. ...

Vision Expo charges for a booth have not changed in 13 years, and what does it mean ? Either the make tons of money or they lost a lot of exhibitors along the way.
    I wasn't editorializing on whether it was a lot of money or a little money, or how much it was last year, next year, or in 2000. Most of my referrals are word of mouth, so I've never exhibited at a trade show. I was just offering some facts about what I know that particular 10x10 cost for 2013.

Thread Information