Thread: better progressive for high astig patients?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

better progressive for high astig patients?

I've got a patient who has new glasses, you know the story, small changes, can't see. Specific complaint is increased distortion in periphery.

OLD RX:

-2.75 +2.25 x105
    -3.25 +3.75 x60 /+2.75 add

NEW RX:

-2.75 +2.50 x100
    -3.25 +4.00 x60 /+3.00 add

RE-REFRACTION:

-2.75 +2.50 x105
    -3.00 +4.00 x60 /+3.00 add

Old AND new lenses:

Trivex, Definity Short, Transistions, A/R. Pd's 35/33.5 seg old pair- 16, seg new pair 18. Very similar frame. Same base curves.
    My question is, is there something better for a patient with high astig/oblique astig?

Thanks in advance!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they insist on a short corridor, then they also insist with increased distortion. Personally I wouldn't fill that scrip in anything compressed...no doubt others here will likely disagree...but that would be suspect number 1. Second, I'd ditch the Definity design.

OptiBoard Apprentice SoopaTroopa's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had good luck with freeforms on patients like that. Shamir Autograph II is a great lens for things like that imo.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Every time i fit a patient in the definity they don't really enjoy it ... switch them to the physio enhanced and theyre happy as a lark, which is what i use for most of my higher weird rx people ... i think i've only had 2 or 3 people dreally like the definity and stick with it
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    If they insist on a short corridor, then they also insist with increased distortion. Personally I wouldn't fill that scrip in anything compressed...no doubt others here will likely disagree...but that would be suspect number 1.
    Agreed. 18 is too high for the Short.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seiko Surmount!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Either the autograph ii, Hoya id, or the new s design physio

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Seiko Surmount!
    +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SoopaTroopa View Post
    I've had good luck with freeforms on patients like that. Shamir Autograph II is a great lens for things like that imo.

YES! With the seg of 18 I would do the Shamir Autograph II Fixed 15 (and yes she can stick with Trivex , Trans!) then step back for the "wow" factor!
    ~N

"The sands of time have already begun to pour against you.." ~Aaron D Yates

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One advantage the S series allows is a 100% guarantee. If the pt washes out, you get a full refund of your lab fees and can try a different design. I would also suggest it as a viable contender for a good working design in this scrip. Along with a deeper frame. I'd try and get at least a couple more mm in that B if there is any possible way...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    anything freeform i think should be a better option.
    secondly adaptation is important and for patient like this manage their expectation is more important than the lens design prescribed.
    Yeap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The Definity is a hybrid lens, its not entirely free-form. You will do better with that Cyl in a pure Free-form lens. The second question is "what are her lifestyle needs?"

If she likes the wide corridor of the Definity, but wants more and better distance, the Surmount (as mentioned) will triple her peripheral vision but keep the wide corriodor. If she doesn't need that width for the computer, the Auto II handles mid to high cyls very well, but will require some adaptation. But the corridor is fairly narrow.

Although her RX change was small, the increase in cyl, the increas ien add, and the short corrider combined, increases distortion at a geometric rate. Some lenses (less adaptative designs) "break" at a certain RX points, and it could be you simply stepped over the edge of what the Definity does well.

The Definity is a great lens, I dispensed probably a thousand or more, but it has limitations... and downsides... as do most lenses made. Its just that we have to "drive by feel" to find those limititations unfortunately. I did have problems in a few high cyl patients with the Definity. The Surmount would be my first choice for her, the Auto II the second, or you could wait for the Auto III (or whatever Shamir will call it, they are in meetings this week).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm still thinking and working with the lab as to what to do, because I definitely don't want to have to make them again.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Prescribers, when their older clients complain of unsatisfactorily near vision, frequently bump the add power. This is effective with SV and segmented multifofocals, although there can be problems with having to hold the near object too close, sometimes resulting in physical discomfort. What they don't know is that PALs with add powers over +2.50/2.75 should be avoided due to high levels of unwanted astigmatism, narrow view zones, and unpleasantly strong blur boundaries, possible degradation of the distance vision, resulting in a significant (for most folks) reduction in visual and general sense of refinement.

Optilady,

My recommendation is to change the add power back to +2.75. Recommend separate SVNO or segmented if they need better near performance.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Prescribers, when their older clients complain of unsatisfactorily near vision, frequently bump the add power. This is effective with SV and segmented multifofocals, although there can be problems with having to hold the near object too close, sometimes resulting in physical discomfort. What they don't know is that PALs with add powers over +2.50/2.75 should be avoided due to high levels of unwanted astigmatism, narrow view zones, and unpleasantly strong blur boundaries, possible degradation of the distance vision, resulting in a significant (for most folks) reduction in visual and general sense of refinement.

Optilady,

My recommendation is to change the add power back to +2.75. Recommend separate SVNO or segmented if they need better near performance.

Lets not even go there with the high add powers. I've got some doctors who push a 3 add on EVERYBODY. There are times when I just want to bang my head on the wall. I can only work with what I'm given.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yea, no need to "bump the add" anymore. We don't need to fit a comfort at 16 anymore.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmmm...been wearing a +2.50 add for several years in a number of different PALs with no problems, save for the last pair which I simply cannot wear. My Surmounts are awesome!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Lets not even go there with the high add powers. I've got some doctors who push a 3 add on EVERYBODY. There are times when I just want to bang my head on the wall. I can only work with what I'm given.
    Rock and a hard place. Give them a taste of their own medicine- try a +3.00 PAL on one of the older doctors.

If separates and/or Rx changes aren't feasible, the only workaround I can think of is to improve the PAL optics. The high cylinder power and oblique axis of the O.S. calls for a more optimized PAL. Zeiss's Individual is not just aspheric/atoric with an optimized inset like the Definity, it is also optimized for position of wear, and for the Rx, the latter allowing the progressive optics to stay closer to the intended design across a wide range of Rxs, especially important for high cylinder, oblique axes.

In the end, all your doing is polishing the turd; a high add PAL has inherently very bad optics, and is difficult to adapt to, with for most folks, degraded distance and near vision. Avoidance is the best recommendation.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    There are very few people who really need a 3 add. If they truly do then it's manageable... but when you factor in the high astigmatism and short corridor, you really are asking a lot. However, not that much has changed to significantly reduce the peripheral distance zone further than it already was, so my guess is that he/she probably needs more time to adapt to the different astigmatic error he/she is interacting with. If not, then obviously there are better lens designs you can try. Zeiss Individual is your best bet as it has the widest distance zone of any progressive, regardless of the prescription. I think the ID is great but it isn't exactly great at distance vision. Auto II should work if the budget is lower.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Why not revert to the 2.75 or even 2.50 and fit sv readers for concentrated reading?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    There are very few people who really need a 3 add.
    You are right.... but when you take add power away it will be one difficult patient.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    true.

Thread Information