Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clearly Contacts Now Entering Retail Arena

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 02-05-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    A solution put forth is better than none ever offered or thought of.
    Ok here's my solution. Renovate your store (paint, carpets and displays).
    Buy up to date product. Buy your referral sources lunch. Make potential customers want to do business with you instead of sounding like a broken record here.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

Ok here's my solution. Renovate your store (paint, carpets and displays).
    Buy up to date product. Buy your referral sources lunch. Make potential customers want to do business with you instead of sounding like a broken record here.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Golfnorth.....................I would say that this is a thread dealing with a problem, and I believe one can find solutions for problems. However I believe that when the problems become large and a united avalanche, solutions might not be possible anymore because it is too late by then.

There are optical businesses that are not feeling the loss of a few clients and the old saying, get a new carpet and displays will bring in new customers. How do you explain the difference in price between a B&M store to the on-line one....................and will the consumer choose the more expensive solution ?

However the advertisings hammering away at the consumers by on-line opticals can not be overlooked. As I can see from every thread on this theme is that everybody here on OB is for himself and is blind towards whats coming at them.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    As I can see from every thread on this theme is that everybody here on OB is for himself and is blind towards whats coming at them.
    For ourselves...as opposed to...? Just because I am in business for myself (yes,100%, it's ALL about ME), does not mean that I can't see what's coming. Just because we all deal with changes differently does not mean we don't deal with them.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Golfnorth.....................I would say that this is a thread dealing with a problem, and I believe one can find solutions for problems. However I believe that when the problems become large and a united avalanche, solutions might not be possible anymore because it is too late by then.

There are optical businesses that are not feeling the loss of a few clients and the old saying, get a new carpet and displays will bring in new customers. How do you explain the difference in price between a B&M store to the on-line one....................and will the consumer choose the more expensive solution ?

However the advertisings hammering away at the consumers by on-line opticals can not be overlooked. As I can see from every thread on this theme is that everybody here on OB is for himself and is blind towards whats coming at them.
    Chris;

You seem to take perverse delight as online grows and no I will not start taking PD's etc as you suggest.
    In times like these the cream rises to the top and the marginal businesses will
    not survive. If your business is marginal all the chirping in the world about how the regulators should be voted out, the companies
    that advertise illegally should be fined blah blah blah blah.
    I just don't subscribe to the world according to Chris and I offered a different solution solution than yours.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    For ourselves...as opposed to...? Just because I am in business for myself (yes,100%, it's ALL about ME), does not mean that I can't see what's coming. Just because we all deal with changes differently does not mean we don't deal with them.
    Thanks Johns......I am 100% for myself too! :)

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 02-05-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Occupation
    Thread: Clearly Contacts Now Entering Retail Arena

Maybe they will opensome stores to become a legal entity for theyr sales if regulators would actually step in.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ;;
    Last edited by idispense; 02-05-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some, myself included, believe in the mandate they pay for and which is advertised, but I can be persuaded to stop ranting, just change the current mandate from this :

· Only Opticians, Optometrists and Ophthalmologists are legally authorized to dispense prescription eyeglasses and contact lenses in Ontario. Don’t trust your eyes to anyone else.

· Regularly investigates and prosecutes unlicensed people who practice Opticianry.

To This :

. Anyone, internet based and out of the province or not can sell eyewear and vision aids in Ontrario without being an Optician, Optometrist or Ophthalmologist. Please trust your eyes to anyone.

. In light of the above , no investigations or prosecutions will occur or be available as remedy to unforeseen results.

As we are self governing, then we should roll with the punches as others suggest, so lets reword the mandate, take the wind out of my sails and stop my rant.

Now with that rewording none of us should have any cause for differences and we can all continue paying our almost $ 1,000.00/year licensing fees, of course we wouldn't need to pay those fees now would we ?

That should just about fix all matters of contention.

Who is in ?

CHANGE THE WORDING AND STOP MY RANT AND LET ANYONE UNDER THE SUN DISPENSE Vote 1

or

RANT ON UNTIL LOCAL APPLICABLE LAWS ARE UPHELD AS WRITTEN . Vote 2
    Do you actually believe that your rants are accomplishing anything?
    Has there been any progress since you started ranting?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 02-05-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    your call, if we do nothing then you might as well vote # 1 , because that is what you are agreeing to and that is what you are getting for your 1,000.00 bucks.
    Thank you very much for not answering my question.

Golfnorth

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Do you actually believe that your rants are accomplishing anything?
    Has there been any progress since you started ranting?

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    +1 - this is awesome, keep it up!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ;;
    Last edited by idispense; 02-05-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Are you voting for Choice # 1 hindsight or are you just high fiving ?
    High fiving...no offense. As usual, the thread has been hijacked away from the original post. Sooooo tired...(yawn) of the constant diversion of all threads pointing back to policing and politics.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    your call, if we do nothing then you might as well vote # 1 , because that is what you are agreeing to and that is what you are getting for your 1,000.00 bucks.
    If I agree with you will you stop ranting? Yes or no.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wouldn't want you to agree with me for the sake of that, I would simply expect membership on their own to want to strive to achieve the claims membership allows to be advertised, to pay the bill only is not worth self governance, that's just apathy.

Have your thread back gentleman.

Occupation
    Every day there are hundreds of lookers on OB most of which are not interested in posts that are "looking for a Prada Frame" or which "Lensometer you like".

They are actually looking for something that is a little more news worthy. They observe the trends of todays business and how it affects all of us. This profession has been regulated in Canada for quite awhile, but as to the new developments there was no believe only a few years back that there was no danger from the little cheaply selling on-liners. See some threads from 2008 to 2010 on the subject.

However their websites have now much higher traffic ratings than the main pages of the largest world wide optical corporations. So, most probably also their sales have gone way up. The product quality should be as good as any other made in similar modern optical labs, and in my opinion they are here to stay.

Regulators for the optical retail trade most probably have missed the right time slot to do anything effective. They might have been able to do something 2-3 years back, but probably laughed it all of like most posters did on OB.

Maybe the contious hammering by idispense might still get to some of the individuals that could at least make an effort or show it that they care. I believe that arguing with each other on a thread that deals in real serious matters should avoided.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Again I will say Chris that you seem to get a perverse delight when you publish the traffic ratings of the onliners websites and all.
    It would seem that either they are giving your company more business than your bricks and morter customers or you are a principal or investor
    in an online enterprise.
    No need to respond to me directly.....I will not be able to see your post.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation

Blue Jumper I have never had any perverse delight in my life ..........................

Again I will say Chris that you seem to get a perverse delight when you publish the traffic ratings of the onliners websites and all.
    It would seem that either they are giving your company more business than your bricks and morter customers or you are a principal or investor
    in an online enterprise.
    No need to respond to me directly.....I will not be able to see your post.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Even if you don't see it you will get the answer anyhow:

I have never had any perverse delight in my life, I am also not attacking others on OB, I might just disagree in the most civilized way possible.

When I let you know that onliner websites are going up, in the traffic going to them it means to a normally working mind, that the general interest is increasing, and so is possibly their business.

Contrary to your statement, I have never supplied anything to any on-line optical retailer, but I can see the threat to the conventional B&M business as does "idispense" . Neville Chamberlain in 1940 also never saw the threat coming....................

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very interesting. Don't rant. Don't look for the local applicable laws to be upheld as is required by self governance and don't mention anything about how on lines are gaining or be accused of supporting them. Very interesting concept.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    on this note - in Quebec the governing bodies (optician and optometrists boards) are at each other's throats and the likely outcome is a strengthening of operating rules (for the local Brick and Mortar stores of course), including only LICENSED opticians being able to touch/adjust someone's frame, needing a licensed optician on the premises during all opening hours and some others. This will drive costs up and put pressure on B/M and cause not an iota of trouble to onliners of course. In fact onliners should benefit, IMO.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Robson, Metrotown, Richmond

By going B&M, there costs will go up a lot, If this strategy results in more $ due to foot traffic or better service is yet to be seen.

1. Going retail let's them cater to the insurance market, as they don't really do this now due to laws? (nothing a suit case full of money or a bunch of lobbyists can't change in time)

2. It let's them have access to Lux and Saf and other distributors. So they no longer will have lame house brands being peddled as high end. They can actually carry a decent amount of high end rather than discontinues/out of stocks etc...(Jan 17, 2012 they announced that former Luxottica Executive Greg Lechner was named VP of business development, usa.)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post

2. It let's them have access to Lux and Saf and other distributors.
    Ha! Ha! Ha! What's the downside for you!!??
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information