Thread: Did you know?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Did you know?

Hey everyone,

I need a good 'did you know?' piece of information for our recall letters, to get people thinking about looking after the health of their eyes.

I then thought it would be cool to have a thread with some bits of cool but random facts about the eyes.

So, post away, hopefully we will all learn something new.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here were some that might be good.
    "Did you know...the cornea is made up of 5 different layers? (Epithelium, Bowman's membrane, Stroma, Descemet's membrane and Endothelium)"
    "Did you know... the refractive power of the cornea is 43 diopters!?"
    "Did you know... the refractive power of the Crystalline lens is 19 diopters?"
    "Did you know... there are six muscles responsible for the movement of each eye? (Lateral rectus, Medial rectus, Superior Rectus, Inferior Rectus, Superior Oblique, Inferior Oblique)"
    "Did you know... there are people that see distance better in one eye, and near better in the other? They are said to have Mono-vision."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The sleepy stuff you find in the corner of your eye in the morning is called rheum.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Did you know....:
    ...your eye is composed of over 2 million working parts??!?!!
    ...only 1/6 of your eye is exposed to the 'outside' world. It is 2.5 cm in length and weighs 7 grams. (this is a good one to combine with a statement of : a lot of eye issues have no out-ward signs or symptoms, which is why annual eye health examinations are so important- kinda wordy, I know)
    ~N

"The sands of time have already begun to pour against you.." ~Aaron D Yates

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    .. that you are at a higher risk for retinal detachment if you are near sighted? (Kinda duh for us, but I think important for patients to know so they don't skip their eye exams!)
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    Hey everyone,

I need a good 'did you know?' piece of information for our recall letters, to get people thinking about looking after the health of their eyes.

I then thought it would be cool to have a thread with some bits of cool but random facts about the eyes.

So, post away, hopefully we will all learn something new.

Use your did you knows to sell commonly underutilized products instead of just wasting it on some random fact.

Did you know Transitions lenses block blue light which has been linked to retinal disease. (Transitions Lenses)
    Did you know that every 13 minutes an ER in the US treats a sports related eye injury. (Sports Goggles)
    Did you know that sports related eye injuries cost $175 to $200 million a year. (Sports Goggles)
    Did you know each day about 2000 U.S. workers have a job-related eye injury that requires medical treatment. (Industrial Eyewear)
    Did you know older drivers are more likely to get involved in crashes if glare obstructs their vision. (Polarized Sunwear and or ARC)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    Use your did you knows to sell commonly underutilized products instead of just wasting it on some random fact.

Did you know Transitions lenses block blue light which has been linked to retinal disease. (Transitions Lenses)
    Did you know that every 13 minutes an ER in the US treats a sports related eye injury. (Sports Goggles)
    Did you know that sports related eye injuries cost $175 to $200 million a year. (Sports Goggles)
    Did you know each day about 2000 U.S. workers have a job-related eye injury that requires medical treatment. (Industrial Eyewear)
    Did you know older drivers are more likely to get involved in crashes if glare obstructs their vision. (Polarized Sunwear and or ARC)
    I don't think "wasting it on some random fact " is fair or accurate.... What happens when the statements you mentioned don't apply to a patient... They don't play sports...or work in an industrial enviornment...or they have Rx sun glasses...or they aren't old..??!!!!? Wouldn't you think they would think..."Oh I'm good, then! Maybe next year!"

I think the Did you know should definitley be a "random fact"
    ~N

"The sands of time have already begun to pour against you.." ~Aaron D Yates

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    It should ideally be something directly related to why an eye test is important (and as n711 said it needs to be inclusive). But that's just for my use, personally. This thread have any random fact. Thank you all for your suggestions so far.

Thread Information