Thread: Oakley Rx Sunglasses

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oakley Rx Sunglasses

I work with Rudy Projects but I have a patient who has Oakleys and I know very little about the protocol. Do I need to use a specific lab per oakley similar to Maui and Costa or can I use my lab like Rudy and not effect the warranty? Is there a list of what frames are Rx able? Thanks for any help.

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Only Oakley will make Oakley, any other lab will void their warranty, and if you sell Oakley sun, they might pull their stock and cancell your contract with them. They are very particular about it, they will not allow any non-Oakley lenses in their sun products, no matter how old....

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow. Glad I don't carry them. Thanks for the info.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's no different than maui, Wiley X and others. Fortunatly they make very good tuff sun wear so is worth the effort

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Funny you should mention this. In November, I ordered an Oakley sun from a fellow Optiboarder for a professional sports team president to try on. He wanted it Rx'd for spring break. When they came in, he tried them on, and was amazed by the lack of quality in the frame. His exact words were, " Why aren't there any screws in the earpieces, and why do the feels so flimsy?" He ended up getting a Rudy Project.

I've long ago tired from telling people how poorly made many of the Oakley products are. On the other hand, I think the ophthalmics aren't bad.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    depends on the frame, I find the holbrooks rubbish, but the flak's take a beating...... all depends on the frame

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have converted many cyclists from Oakley to Rudy here in Central Florida. We use Perfect Optics(VSP1 San Diego) for the Rx's and they are far beyond amazing. Very Rarely are we limited by Rx(I don't think any -4.00's are going to want direct insert). Never had any warranty issues and they aren't owned by those who shall not be named. We wont carry any of there products.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Funny you should mention this. In November, I ordered an Oakley sun from a fellow Optiboarder for a professional sports team president to try on. He wanted it Rx'd for spring break. When they came in, he tried them on, and was amazed by the lack of quality in the frame. His exact words were, " Why aren't there any screws in the earpieces, and why do the feels so flimsy?" He ended up getting a Rudy Project.

I've long ago tired from telling people how poorly made many of the Oakley products are. On the other hand, I think the ophthalmics aren't bad.
    Johns:

Although not every Oakley sun is flimsy, I think, by far, most are as durable as suns come. Metals not so much.

IMHO.

B

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Johns:

Although not every Oakley sun is flimsy, I think, by far, most are as durable as suns come.

B
    When the only metal on a zyl frame is a metal pin holding the temple to the frame, and there is no way it can be adjusted; that says a lot about the lack of quality. Another red flag is when lay people use terms such as "chintzy" and "cheap" to describe the feel of a product on display.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Although not every Oakley sun is flimsy, I think, by far, most are as durable as suns come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Johns:

B
    When the only metal on a zyl frame is a metal pin holding the temple to the frame, and there is no way it can be adjusted; that says a lot about the lack of quality. Another red flag is when lay people use terms such as "chintzy" and "cheap" to describe the feel of a product on display.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to work with Oakley in the not-too-distant past, and I agree that they "FEEL flimsy" , they are NOT. In the 4 years I dealt with them, the only pair I saw broken was one that was run over by a car. The temples are designed to be "break-away" so they come apart and can usually be "snapped" back on.
    Similarly I purchased a sunglass from another designer that I thought at the time were TOO lightweight and would NEVER hold up.. I still wear them since 2007.
    I just HAD to throw my 2 cents in just because I HATE hearing "FLIMSY". That is also used to describe Silhouette for people who don't know better.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaU2020 View Post
    I used to work with Oakley in the not-too-distant past, and I agree that they "FEEL flimsy" , they are NOT. In the 4 years I dealt with them, the only pair I saw broken was one that was run over by a car. The temples are designed to be "break-away" so they come apart and can usually be "snapped" back on.
    Similarly I purchased a sunglass from another designer that I thought at the time were TOO lightweight and would NEVER hold up.. I still wear them since 2007.
    I just HAD to throw my 2 cents in just because I HATE hearing "FLIMSY". That is also used to describe Silhouette for people who don't know better.
    Work with the puplic long enough carrying Oakley Zyl's and you will see some brought back in pieces (after the patient used Windex to clean the lenses). Oakley frames are the only one's I know if that will absolutely fall apart if cleaned with glass cleaner or rubbing alchohol. We always had to caution patients buying them to stay away from those products when cleaning the lenses. We have never seen the same issue with other zyls though.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kentmitchell1961 View Post
    It's no different than maui, Wiley X and others. Fortunatly they make very good tuff sun wear so is worth the effort
    They may make good products, which I agree with, but their customer "service" almost seems intentionally bad. I was just informed this morning that my lenses only order for a customer would take 4-5 WEEKS now. This is the standard company line for any order you're sending in a frame for. Thought you might want a heads up. Oh, and they raised their prices again. Have fun with that, I'm sure I will.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That's why we dropped them: bad service. They didn't (don't?) know how to treat a doctor's office or a real optical. They act like they're shipping crates to Biff's Sport Shack.

Hey, the Oakley aesthetic is one-of-a-kind. They are the leaders in that regard. I've found the quality very good, or at least commensurate with the price.

But their company philosophy is "the suck", and I can't take abuse.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    That's why we dropped them: bad service. They didn't (don't?) know how to treat a doctor's office or a real optical. They act like they're shipping crates to Biff's Sport Shack
    We have had horrible customer service. We have been waiting for sample lenses for over a year and our rep has told us he doesn't think he can get us any. HORRIBLE! Would NEVER recommend them. The only reason we have them is becuase they were here from a former optician.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    They act like they're shipping crates to Biff's Sport Shack.
    They would rather be shipping to Biff's. Professional offices are a necessary evil to them, and they will continue to treat them as such.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am having some difficulty with Oakley and could use a little help. My rep is still of NO help. We do not have any Oakley lens samples and he nor the Oakley home office is able to get us any. Does any one have a set they are willing to part with? I would LOVE to dropp them, but my OD wants them to stay.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why don't you buy a set?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Why don't you buy a set?
    I've tried. Oakley told me there were none left and nothing they can do to help me. Aside from ordering plano lenses for demo through their Rx program, I'm out of ideas. They also told me to contact my rep. I did and he told me he couldn't help me.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've got 2 Oakley (Open shelf) displays if anyone wants to buy them. They've been in storage for about 5 years.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Agree, But nobody wants to pay for Rudy Projecy cost.

Thread Information