Thread: Sola Compact Ultra Help

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sola Compact Ultra Help

I recall a few years ago a dispensing optician telling me a story of unwanted cyl power encroaching into the near segment of the sola compact ultra and that this lens should not be fitted above 21mm from bottom of rim because this happens, is this true? or was he telling lies? and what would the problems be if it was fitted above 21mm above rim if any? is there anyone who knows more about this lens out there than can help me out.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you need a 21 fitting ht, why use a compact lens? I use it only for non-computer using seniors who want a fashionable small B frame. The intermediate viewing area is practically non-existent.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tried the Compact Ultra lens. Wore it 10 minutes and decided not only not to wear it but not to sell it in my dispensary.
    There are ooodles of progressive lenses that work well at 21mm. Agree with pseudomym....why fit a short corridor lens for a large fitting height and/or B measurement?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    I recall a few years ago a dispensing optician telling me a story of unwanted cyl power encroaching into the near segment of the sola compact ultra and that this lens should not be fitted above 21mm from bottom of rim because this happens, is this true? or was he telling lies? and what would the problems be if it was fitted above 21mm above rim if any? is there anyone who knows more about this lens out there than can help me out.
    All zones, especially the corridor and near, are always surrounded by unwanted astigmatism. It's possible that the lens designers biased the design so that the worst of the aberrations were below a certain point, knowing that this lens will probably be used at a fairly low fitting height. A close fit with a tad more pantoscopic tilt would help if you had to put the Ultra in a deeper B frame (see below).

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    If you need a 21 fitting ht, why use a compact lens? I use it only for non-computer using seniors who want a fashionable small B frame. The intermediate viewing area is practically non-existent.
    Although not common, sometimes I'll use an aggressively short corridor for those using a desktop monitor and are unwilling to opt for separate pairs. Another use would be for those with restricted vertical head movements due to disease or injury to the neck.

Hope this helps,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are concerned about the optical qualities of a lens, why do you offer Compact Ultra to start with at 21 ht. Look at some free form designs that suits your customers needs depending their use and expectations of their eyewear.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Using the short corridor because of physical disability to move the head and also because of high anisometropia trying to minimize DPE for this person. and compact ultra is the only lens that fits their budget.. if they had a larger wallet then i would reach for tailor made stuff but they don't.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Compact shouldn't really be fit above 17ish. The INT is REALLY smushed in this lens. pseudonym is right with the patient base to fit this lens. If cost is an issue, fit the Image. You can't get much more cost effective than that.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Compact shouldn't really be fit above 17ish. The INT is REALLY smushed in this lens. pseudonym is right with the patient base to fit this lens. If cost is an issue, fit the Image. You can't get much more cost effective than that.
    Perfect!

I have one pair of Compact Ultras, and they aren't bad, but they are fit at about 15 and the frame is very small. Most of the swim is cut out, and I only use the lenses if I'm wearing brown. Go figure, but that's the deal with that pair. Not much use for anything but distance and near. Agreed that Image is good value point, and an overall decent lens.

Thread Information