Thread: shocked and very sad

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

shocked and very sad

While I'm not located near Newtown CT, its a small state and we are in a state of utter shock at what's occured today. I myself have two children in an elementary school, and I'm sick with the need to grab them and bring them home where I can just be with them. My heart goes out to the many families who have lost a loved one today. I know that there really isn't anything to be said, but I just had a share my sorrow with my Optiboard family.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for checking in!

I immediately thought of you and your family.

I just started listening and watching the news. I am sick in my stomach and fighting back tears.

So terrible.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately this is no longer shocking.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It continues to shock me. There is NO way to analyze this monster. Bob, don't hold back the tears, I'm not, and I feel physically ill, as well. At this point, I can only pray for the comfort for the families and community affected. I don't know what else to say. Annie, I'm glad your children are safe.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I was born in Connecticut and still have many family members there. While none are in or near Newtown, as optilady1 said it's a small state and the impact is being felt everywhere. I am saddened, but not shocked, and my heart and thoughts go out to all the victims and their families. This is a horrible, horrible day not only for the victims but for our nation and unfortunately acts like this are becoming more prevalent, not less.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Maybe our children should carry guns,.....at least they'd have a fighting chance :( We're slowly returning to the days of the wild west.
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMLESS View Post
    Maybe our children should carry guns,.....at least they'd have a fighting chance :( We're slowly returning to the days of the wild west.
    If some teachers were allowed to carry, on school grounds legally, then tragedies like this MAY be avoided. At the very least, some lives could be spared.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Better than nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How many times does this crap have to happen over and over and over. Each psycho insanely driven to out do the last one.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've heard/seen more tragedy like this in the last 4 years than in my previous 36. It's definately out of hand. Maybe the preppers are right, after all.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can we have one day before we turn this into a right to carry issue?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You only need one day ? Or is that day day per incident ?
    It's not about gun rights it about our society manning up.
    BTW, my sister lives in that community :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Such a small world... here I am over in OR (follow me now) ....and our receptionist's husband's boss' kid goes to that school! (did you follow that??) haha)

His son is fine, thank heaven.

As sad and sickening as it is this is something that we deal with "regularly" in this day and age

... guns don't kill people. PEOPLE kill PEOPLE!

Hang in there Optiboard-"fam"
    ~N

"The sands of time have already begun to pour against you.." ~Aaron D Yates

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't efffing believe it; this is a reason for MORE guns.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    I don't efffing believe it; this is a reason for MORE guns.
    Please, once again, don't make this a gun issue, as it is not. This is a sick individual that was looking for his 15 minutes of fame, and we gave it to him. Guns don't cause crimes, nor do they prevent them. And yes, I do carry a gun, and I couldn't stop this from happening, this was family issue of some sorts, and a very troubled young man. Many sick people live amongst us.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Please, once again, don't make this a gun issue, as it is not. This is a sick individual that was looking for his 15 minutes of fame, and we gave it to him. Guns don't cause crimes, nor do they prevent them. And yes, I do carry a gun, and I couldn't stop this from happening, this was family issue of some sorts, and a very troubled young man. Many sick people live amongst us.
    You bet your patootie it's a gun issue. As you say, many sick people live among us. Even those under observation as potentially violent, even those "cleared" by intelligent, competent mental health professionals, even those pronounced as mentally stable, sometimes do these incredibly unforeseeable things.

We should either arm them better, or arm them less.

Rising Star
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    So Sorry to see this news On TV yesterday.......Another manic reminded me ''We are living in Jungle ''........never easy to know ,when some SATAN would appear from nowhere and tell us ''I AM ALIVE ''.
    I would like to share my two cents on this ..........

First :Truth is ''No Place is Safe Place'' we all know........then why not Enough Security to be provided to our Childeren ,all the time ,untill they became Strong enough to protect themselves.......isn't is better then blaming someone for the loss ?

Second : What do you think ,Who give birth( Not Physically ) to these kind of Manic Personalities ? Dose Violent TV shows ,Internet, Action and other violent Movies ,Society mischieves ,Violent Sports ,Their Eating habits.......(and list is long).........give them birth ?

My Believe is ,This Violent personality is ofcourse is A Son /Daughter os someone. and for sure NO PARENT would like to make his son/daughter ''A CRIMINAL''.but even there are plenty of Violent Human Creature are living amog us......we should spare some time to think ,what makes THE CHILD ( who born plane minded ) turn A VIOLENT CREATURE. and avoid that perticular Reason in their life.........and provide better ,safe,healthy and ofcourse A LOVABLE LIFE ,not only for them but FOR ALL.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Newtown is a small town, you can't live or work there without knowing someone directly affected by last Friday. Very sad. Heartbreaking. Funerals started this week bring you to tears watching the processions.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think (and from what I'm reading) the mentally ill gunman was schizoid and mom was on the brink of having him committed when he snapped. This condition may be genetic. As we unravel the human gene the debate will become incredibly complex in balancing rights of individuals against the rights of society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoi...ality_disorder

I pray for his soul as well.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 12-19-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: tweak...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been in a fog ever since this happened, and yesterday was the first time I've spent much time on the computer since this happened....I haven't been able to watch much of the coverage, and every time someone comes in and begins talking about it, and even now, as I type, my chest gets so tight I can barely breathe. The sorrow I feel for these families and the entire community is immense...I can't even begin to explain....If I could take all their hurt away, I would do it. My hope (and prayer) is that they are granted the strength to endure this.

Thread Information