Thread: face shapes and frame choice

Bad address email on file

face shapes and frame choice

hi. I have rejoined optiboard after a long long gap.There is this topic which I think has not been discussed much.
    How do you people decide which shape of frame to suggest to a customer.
    I mean before making him try a shape, by looking at his face structure what factors help you to narrow down on a particular shape.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I doubt that I can still find it, but most frame companies and frame fax itself used to publish a chart stating what to use with six or eight facial types. If I find it, I'll E. Mail you copy.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ashish,

There are several programs around with regard to face shape, and color analysis. This is just a short article that is appearing in Vision Care Product News this month. You may find a few pointers. The article is about children and tweens, but the same ideas are for adults as well.

http://www.visioncareproducts.com/16/eye_help.html

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Diane

Great site.

:cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    Ashish:

oblong face shapes should stay away from aviator & rimless (basically, where there is an accent on the TOP of the frame)

ladies of most ages (ahem) prefer to have "lift" around the eye area - in structure & color

Hope that helps :bbg:

Bad address email on file
    thanks for the references people.
    suggesting a frame for a particular face is a tricky business,especially when the customer walks in with a particular shape in mind and you with that shapee og frame on he is going to look like a donkey.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The correct shape frame for face shapes can get a bit detailed, but when customers ask, I'll tell them if their face is angular, they're going to want something with softer edges, no square corners, etc. If their face is rounder, then something with sharper edges will be good. And as Optigoddess stated, frames that "lift," such as cateyes, are universally flattering on most women.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    When people ask me what frames are recommended for their face shape, I tell them this logic no longer exists.

We are currently in a day and age where, if you are comfortable and confident, you can pull off whatever suites your fancy.

Personally, I love it. I tell people to try/ hand them shapes they might not have thought would look good and the surprise of it being a good fit is very satisfying. Of course this also depends on the patient- there are plenty of people who want the same tiny rectangle that has been phased out (thankfully) or want that Ray Ban that everyone has and no one looks good in. You know the one...

I will update people on current trends/ new releases. Round is in. Fashion forward women are wearing double bars. Men get to have more color. TEXTURE! Gotta love texture.

The first thing I help with is size though. I don't care what shape it is, as long as it fits your bridge and your eyes are fairly centered. If you have a melonhead, get out of the petites.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why are we digging up 16 year old threads?!?!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Why are we digging up 16 year old threads?!?!
    I think it's a good refresher as the old rules have changed somewhat and are now more of a guideline/suggestion. Unless there are other threads on this topic?

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Still relevant. No point in having a new thread every time we want to address the same topic.

...Unless you count EssiLux. We need a new thread on that almost daily, it seems.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    When people ask me what frames are recommended for their face shape, I tell them this logic no longer exists.

We are currently in a day and age where, if you are comfortable and confident, you can pull off whatever suites your fancy.

Personally, I love it. I tell people to try/ hand them shapes they might not have thought would look good and the surprise of it being a good fit is very satisfying. Of course this also depends on the patient- there are plenty of people who want the same tiny rectangle that has been phased out (thankfully) or want that Ray Ban that everyone has and no one looks good in. You know the one...

I will update people on current trends/ new releases. Round is in. Fashion forward women are wearing double bars. Men get to have more color. TEXTURE! Gotta love texture.

The first thing I help with is size though. I don't care what shape it is, as long as it fits your bridge and your eyes are fairly centered. If you have a melonhead, get out of the petites.
    Great post. Couldn't have said it better.

Thread Information