Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any shooters out there? What do you think the shooting glasses safety bottom line?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Any shooters out there? What do you think the shooting glasses safety bottom line?

I've gotten into a couple discussions at the shooting range for what qualifies at the minimum for safe glasses for shooting, plano or prescription. Are regular (non safety) plano Oakley's sufficient, or do you think they need to be ANSI Safety. Or better yet, the Military Ballistic (MIL-PRF-31013 Ballistic Standard)? Personally I use my Wiley X's as dedicated shooting glasses, but I didn't know what the rest of you guys fee is adequate protection.

Also, for those with a script, are regular glasses in a poly or trivex adequate or do you feel its necessary for bigger or wrap safety frames? What do you recommend for your higher rx patients?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I don't know, I use my old B&L shooting glasses that I bought in the 60's. I have yellow, G-15 and grey 3. I shoot primarily 22 freestyle and some position.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Depends on which end of the gun you are positioned...Ballistic are better if you are on the receiving end. Otherwise, any lens is sufficient.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I agree...the frontiermen never wore shooting glasses...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

removed
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 12-19-2012 at 02:43 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Depends on which end of the gun you are positioned...Ballistic are better if you are on the receiving end. Otherwise, any lens is sufficient.
    How about glass costa's or raybans? It seems to me like any platic or especially poly should be sufficient, but do you feel glass is the same way?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The purposes of shooting glasses are to protect from rupturing shell casings, exploding slides, powder burns, and to increase contrast. No wearable lens material will protect against bullets.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would recommend against a glass lens for any sports, not just shooting. For liability purposes, if someone requests shooting glasses, I steer them toward a wrap frame with an ANSI rating on frame and lenses. Personally I have used Mauis and my regular rx in trivex or 1.67 when I forget to bring something else.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I say protection from shell casings and everything else that Wes mentioned is my focus when making shooting glasses. I typically do poly or trivex with whatever tint is requested. I find that gun enthusiasts are as finicky as engineers most of the time and I enjoy exceeding their expectations when it comes to task-specific eyewear. My OD's are never surprised to find a patient in their exam room with a gun case and a special request. I used to be very leery of guns and people who seemed "obsessed" with them until I starting working for this office and I came to know many responsible gun owners who weren't the angry, trigger-happy rednecks I first percieved them to be. Now I'm proud to supply these folks with the eyewear they require for their hobby. I even shot my first gun this year! Previously I had only seen weapons on police officers!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I wear my dress specs (grooved Trivex Trans. A/R) all the time while at the range. If I need a contrast boost, I throw on my Drivewear (uncoated CR-39). The range I belong to makes specs a recommendation, not a requirement.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    I would recommend against a glass lens for any sports, not just shooting. For liability purposes, if someone requests shooting glasses, I steer them toward a wrap frame with an ANSI rating on frame and lenses. Personally I have used Mauis and my regular rx in trivex or 1.67 when I forget to bring something else.
    Unfortunately, a glass lens is preferred by many shooters as it provides the clearest distant vision of any lens material.

I sold many hundreds of pairs of Kalichrome (Yellow) shooters lens back in the day.

IMO using "liability" as a reason to sell other lens materials is just plain wrong. No lens in the world, even Trivex, would protect the shooters eye in the event of blowback or a breach explosion. If the face is going to be mangled, the frame and lens will be part of the damage causing problem and regardless of whether it is glass or CR-39 or polycarb or Trivex, the injury is going to be so severe that no one would be able to say the lens caused the damage.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

check the gallerie for more pictures at -----------------> http://www.knobloch-schiessbrillen.de/wp/en/gallery/
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 12-19-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Chris, when the zombie apocolypse comes, I won't be wearing those. I'll be sitting on top of my roof with my dress wear glass lenses on, picking them off, one by one

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Unfortunately, a glass lens is preferred by many shooters as it provides the clearest distant vision of any lens material.

I sold many hundreds of pairs of Kalichrome (Yellow) shooters lens back in the day.

IMO using "liability" as a reason to sell other lens materials is just plain wrong. No lens in the world, even Trivex, would protect the shooters eye in the event of blowback or a breach explosion. If the face is going to be mangled, the frame and lens will be part of the damage causing problem and regardless of whether it is glass or CR-39 or polycarb or Trivex, the injury is going to be so severe that no one would be able to say the lens caused the damage.
    I agree with you about clarity. I disagree about safety. I had a soldier come in wanting to replace a Wiley X he was issued in Afghanistan The frame and lenses were heavily damaged by shrapnel from an IED explosion. His cheek is scarred; his eyes are just as they were pre-blast. For me, that's all the information I need. I know 99% of the people I sell shooting eyewear to will never need that kind of protection. But for the 1% that does, it will make a difference.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Agreed.
    We all did, it was the best we had.
    Totally disagree. I am held to a standard of care, and quite frankly, there is zero chance glass can be defended for this use with the availability of trivex, and even poly. In a breach explosion, your right, but how about a .50 cal casing ejection from my partner right next to me, I wouldn't trust any glass lens. Safety glass is like a jumbo shrimp.

answers above.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    answers above.
    Which is totally my point. I wasn't promoting glass only, just pointing out that even Trivex won't protect your eyes from an 'up close' problem.

Trying to compare an IED at 8-10 feet to a breech explosion at 4" is like comparing apples to oranges. Same with a ejecting .50 cal casing. No lens in the world will protect your eye. The frame is going to fail long before the lens would, regardless of the material, and injury is going to happen. Putting Trivex lenses into a frame that's going to fail is not the answer. Once the frame is gone, all bets are off.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Which is totally my point. I wasn't promoting glass only, just pointing out that even Trivex won't protect your eyes from an 'up close' problem.
    Your right Mike. That's why I wear my cr-39 lenses shooting and don't give it another thought.

Occupation
    Remember this thread? http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...nd-9-mm-rounds
    Lenses do not protect against ballistic projectiles. Wiley X/Sawfly style goggles were adopted to protect against IED shrapnel and do a pretty good job of it as was mentioned earlier.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

The real type shooting glasses

check the gallerie for more pictures at -----------------> http://www.knobloch-schiessbrillen.de/wp/en/gallery/
    I caught a face full of powder when a primer unseated while shooting some cheap UMC target ammo a few weeks ago. I did Not get an eyeful of powder though, thanks to my Z87 Wiley X goggles and polar poly lenses. I wouldn't have been so lucky with these "real" shooting glasses.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Ha...loads of "protection" there with the real glasses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I caught a face full of powder when a primer unseated while shooting some cheap UMC target ammo a few weeks ago. I did Not get an eyeful of powder though, thanks to my Z87 Wiley X goggles and polar poly lenses. I wouldn't have been so lucky with these "real" shooting glasses.

Yea......I think that Chris confuses regular shooters with those trying out for the Karelia National Olympic Shooting Team!

I am just a regular shooter who has fit a few hundred other regular shooters with shooting specs and I think that I have only ever have seen one or two frames similar to the one he posted!

I have my serious doubts that the shooters that I fit really needed something like that. But if it stroked their self image and ego enough to pony up the moola, I was happy to take it!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I am slinging lead, I usually wear my old Serengetti frames fitted with CR-39 Drivewear.

They work wonderfully for shooting and drinking shooters down at The Stumble Inn!

Occupation
    Hefeweizen?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Hefeweizen?

Pale ale on the hand pump.

I pass on Hefeweizens...........they are not my bag!

Talking about bags and trying to keep the thread on track-I also suggest shooters keep a spare shooting spec in their range bag. Many don't want to spend the cash, but it plants the seed for responsible eyewear management and contingency plans!

Occupation
    I have a couple pair of plano safety goggles in my ranger duffel.

Thread Information