Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any shooters out there? What do you think the shooting glasses safety bottom line?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    How long do you think it will be before threads like this are just a memory?

The gun grabbers are coming...
    Last edited by Wes; 12-19-2012 at 11:09 PM.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I saw online that the SCAR's I was looking at, about $2500, are now up to $4000-4500. What seems to be happening is that only the wealthy are able to buy these firearms. Our local gun shops are out of stock on everything. I saw that Dick's pulled all "black" guns.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    An interesting thread and one that I can actually contribute to.

Before my double vision required glasses, I would hit targets at 500 meters from prone with the M-16A2 Service Rifle 8/10 times.
    My last deployment required shooting with glasses to provide that additional protection, so I wore contacts under safety glasses and shot sharpshooter instead of expert.
    High sharpshooter, but a noticable degredation likely caused by the cheap pieces of junk they issued me. (However, I have seen ample pictures of before and after IED blasts where the only unburt location is around the eyes).

This time (I'm currently deployed), I have a pair of prescription lenses as they can't put prism on contacts....sad for me tbh.

My shooting performance again degraded, however I do feel that the lens material made it extremely difficult to pick out a target at 300 meters and I ended up spending more ammunition on close in targets and having left over due to being unable to pick out my target. The lens material, 1.67, I later found out is not as good optically. (Research I wish I had done PRIOR to buying them, as I would have gone with Trivex in the first place).

I will test my trivex glasses if you are honestly interested in the results, as my shooting ability has been pretty consistent over the past 14 years (ok, now i feel old) of military service.
    After reading this thread, I think that I will seek out a pair of glass lenses and shoot both glass and trivex multpile times and compare the results.

Personally, I am awaiting the use of synthetic sapphire (currently used in laser optics), with its high index, great protection, and optical clarity as a future lens material.

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slide0032_image050.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	13768
    This guy came to the hospital where I'm currently working. He said that something went wrong with his dad's rifle. Here's the result.
    BTW he used Transitions Aris Autumn.

Thread Information