Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any shooters out there? What do you think the shooting glasses safety bottom line?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am here rereading this thread and it reminds me that I need to replace a few shooter specs with my updated rx and trivex lenses. I wish that Drivewear came in Trivex. I love that tint for shooting. I will have to tint a few trivex pairs to get a close enough tint.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz, have you heard of Transitions Aris Autumn gold (Solfx)? I've read great things from trap shooters (not optical geeks . It goes from a yellow to a darker golden brown. AND it's available in Trivex. That's what I'm looking at doing for my next pair of shooting glasses. I'm a -.25 -.25 x 155 and plano, but I think I'm going to get them in plano to let guys at the range try out. I'm just trying to decide on a frame.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was not aware of that option!

Thank you for the heads up!

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Ditto on the Autumn Gold option. It's become quite a favorite around here in the fall.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeaslee View Post
    Fezz, have you heard of Transitions Aris Autumn gold (Solfx)? I've read great things from trap shooters (not optical geeks . It goes from a yellow to a darker golden brown. AND it's available in Trivex. That's what I'm looking at doing for my next pair of shooting glasses. I'm a -.25 -.25 x 155 and plano, but I think I'm going to get them in plano to let guys at the range try out. I'm just trying to decide on a frame.
    If only it were polarized like Drivewear.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

removed
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 12-19-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Chris, I am already more accurate than any line of sight I have reason or right to defend. While I have no interest in long range competition shooting, I do know what it's about. What I need is real world practicality because I'm more interested in protecting my eyes than hitting a mark half a mile away.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

removed
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 12-19-2012 at 02:40 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok so this an opinion from a total newbie who just took her NRA safety course two weeks ago and shot some handguns for the first time ever (not including 1987 duck hunt Nintendo game).

I was at a gun range, in my little cubby with my contacts on and my husbands wrap safety frames- the dime a dozen ones from Home Depot. When I was shooting the um, gloc? I think, the casings (I think that's the term) were coming out while shooting and hitting me occasionally on the head. I did have a hat on, so they didn't hit me directly, but I was startled. Obviously if I was a seasoned shooter I wouldn't have been surprised.

What I learned was 1. I had fun and want to go again. 2. It was far too dusty for contacts. Therefore I need some kind of eyeglasses. 3. I would feel much more comfortable with a wrap style frame with a cushioned eye wire, ala liberty sport or wileyx. 4. Not sure when I would need them to be tinted since I don't plan on being out side of the indoor range any time soon.

Since we don't carry wileyx at work I'll probably do a pair of libert sport of some sort. I don't think I'd feel comfortable in the frames you showed Chris, but I bet people who are really into shooting have seen glasses like those from their own research.

And that's my 2 cents!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Wes................how then as one of the most active promoters of opticians education, right here on OptiBoard, you dismiss the existence of a hundred years old optical retail speciality, which requires more technical knowdledge than the run of the mill eyeglasses.

Sight correction for target shooting is a totally different area than calling industrial safety products "Shooting Glasses", and is practised in Europe and other countries that do not have 3 school shootings in the same week.
    There's a difference between dismissing the specialty you describe and being honest about what most real world shooters want and need for protection. I understand the function of those glasses and am not dismissing the technology, but they're not what 99% of people are looking for when they talk about "shooting glasses". When people ask me for help when they "break their arm", or need a new "noseguard", I don't put a cast on them or send them to the local football team to look for recruits. I make sure I know what they want, and I use my knowledge and experience to help them get it.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    So far I get the impression that none of the posters has any idea what shooting glasses actually are for. What an optical world..........
    Chris,

The topic of this thread is about "shooting glasses safety bottom line?". The broad brush that you used when you stated that "none of the posters has any idea what shooting glasses actually are for" is insulting to me personally and I will assume to the others who have posted in this thread. I think that you may have misunderstood the topic at hand.

I will assume that you did not fully understand the question that the OP was asking. If you did understand it, I am irritated that you would have posted a veiled self promotion link to your website. It is obvious to me that your link was another attempt by you to drive traffic to your website and not to actually add to the discussion at hand. I find your endless self promotion and attempts to drive traffic to your website fatiguing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, at a time, shooting glasses were all about the optics, but today, it's just about as much about the safety of the lenses. A big wakeup call for the shooting public came when Dick Cheney shot his hunting buddy in the face. If not for his hunting glasses, his buddy would have probably been blinded in at least one eye. He took shots to the face and glasses, but they didn't break his lenses. (poly)

I'm looking forward to Wes' experiment with shooting Trivex. Poly, I've drove a nail thorough without fracturing ( cracking, yes, but not becoming pieces.) I want to see the comparison. Wes?

Occupation
    I haven't received the trivex pucks from Jacqui yet. As soon as I do, I'll put rounds through them and post pix. If you want me to shoot anything (nothing living, please), mail it to me and I'll put holes in that too.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Wes, PM me your addy and I will send you out some Trivex that I had casted awhile back.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't be the only one that found it distasteful that Chris made a jab about school shootings. I guess they have an ignore list for a reason.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    I can't be the only one that found it distasteful that Chris made a jab about school shootings. I guess they have an ignore list for a reason.
    +1!

Occupation
    I find that I often have to compartmentalize conversations so that acronyms don't get mixed up. Now we have a thread about shooting and glasses, and the idea of AR is giving me a compartmentalization headache.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Wes, PM me your addy and I will send you out some Trivex that I had casted awhile back.
    Didn't see this, but I got your pm. Addy sent. What caliber holes do you want in those lenses? I can provide you with .380 dents, .223 holes, .308 holes, 9mm holes, 10mm holes, birdshot dents, buckshot craters, or I can just blow it to pieces with a 12 gauge slug.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Didn't see this, but I got your pm. Addy sent. What caliber holes do you want in those lenses? I can provide you with .380 dents, .223 holes, .308 holes, 9mm holes, 10mm holes, birdshot dents, buckshot craters, or I can just blow it to pieces with a 12 gauge slug.
    I'm sending the 4 lenses I've got. Have fun! Maybe start with the smallest caliber and work your way up?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    or I can just blow it to pieces with a 12 gauge slug.
    What? No .50 cal?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    What? No .50 cal?
    I can't justify the expense. If .308 can't take care of the problem, I'm somewhere I have no business being.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    I'm sending the 4 lenses I've got. Have fun! Maybe start with the smallest caliber and work your way up?
    I did that with the poly pucks. 380 bounced off. 223, 9mm and 44 cut right through. The 45 shattered the ones that already had holes. I wonder what would have happened had they not already been damaged. I suspect it would have bounced off too, but I won't know now because I don't have another 45 to try it with...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have another 45 to try it with...
    I do :) I'm going to see if I can get a couple from the lab at school to try out. How did you mount the lens?

Occupation
    I tried taping them to cans and plastic bottles at first, but eventually I just stuck them upright in a rotten tree stump. I had to go chasing after a few of them...

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeaslee View Post
    I've gotten into a couple discussions at the shooting range for what qualifies at the minimum for safe glasses for shooting, plano or prescription. Are regular (non safety) plano Oakley's sufficient, or do you think they need to be ANSI Safety. Or better yet, the Military Ballistic (MIL-PRF-31013 Ballistic Standard)? Personally I use my Wiley X's as dedicated shooting glasses, but I didn't know what the rest of you guys fee is adequate protection.

Also, for those with a script, are regular glasses in a poly or trivex adequate or do you feel its necessary for bigger or wrap safety frames? What do you recommend for your higher rx patients?
    I had to go back to the original post to remember a few things. I have been getting more and more referrals for "shooters." They have mostly been Randolph Rangers. To the best of my knowledge, the Randolph's aren't Z87. We don't sell them, so they bring them in.

I was poking around at Oakley the other day and got this for a different reason: (from the Flak Jacket)

• Optical precision and performance that meets ANSI Z87.1 standards
    • Impact resistance that meets ANSI Z87.1 standards for high-mass and high-velocity impact

The Oakley's ARE NOT stamped Z87 on the frame nor the lenses, so thus, aren't "officially safety." (correct me if I'm wrong)

We do well with WileyX for the Motorcyclists out there who need RX, and a few without.

I just had a guy pick out a pair of Titmus Snakewear for shooting.

I would feel more safe with a "safety" eyewear than with non safety, FWIW.

As an aside, they have all preferred SV or BF over progressive. Funny, they were all Presbyopic.

Just my 2 cents!

Thread Information