Thread: Nova Southeastern University Masters In Clinical Vision Research Program

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Nova Southeastern University Masters In Clinical Vision Research Program

Nova Southeastern University has established an on-line Masters Degree in Clinical Vision Research. I recently discussed this exciting opportunity with Dr. J. Shallow-Hoffman who is the program director. As many of you know from my previous posts, education is my number one priority and finding educational opportunities available for Opticians is significant to that effort. This program is housed in the Optometry School and has an outstanding faculty to provide expert guidance and mentorship to students. If you are interested in a graduate degree this one is a good one for Opticians and Nova has made us welcome. Take a look at the web page www.nova.edu/cvr and give it some consideration. I think there is great potential for anyone who wishes to move into education or research areas, and Nova Southeastern is to be commended for allowing Opticians and others the opportunity.

The Alberta Association of Optometrists published a position paper in May which included this:

“5. In any event, it is highly questionable that a technical trade and/or home study
    program can meet the standard for health diagnosis. To prepare someone to
    undertake a diagnostic function, a comprehensive base of knowledge and clinical
    experience is required. All professions licensed to provide independent health
    assessments receive their education in full-time, university based, supervised
    programs with significant clinical components. In respect of eye health and
    vision diagnosis, ophthalmologists and optometrists are both licensed doctoral-
    level health care providers.

It is unreasonable to consider that a home study course could
    provide an optician with the knowledge base to accurately and
    safely determine that corrective lenses alone can address an
    individual‘s vision problems.”

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

WHAT?

That has absolutely nothing to do with this program. It is not course in refraction nor diagnosis of ocular disease. It trains someone to do RESEARCH! I am always disappointed when things like this that at least I see as a way for Opticians and Optometry to share information that someone always tries to be negative. Distance Education is today a valid educational delivery system. Harvard, Stanford and others seem to accept it just fine, as does my institution, The University of North Carolina at Pembroke. Your evaluation of Opticianry as a trade is a matter of opinion and you are welcome to it, but at least get your facts straight. The courses are stright forward and well designed, and (again) someone from the eye care industry (yes even OD) may want to become involved with this program to get more involved with education/research matters. I was only saying that I am pleased they allow Opticians to be a part of the program.

Warren

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Good Program

This looks like a good program to move forward in acheiving great education and job advancement.

:cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Thread Information