Thread: History on the evolution of modern spring hinge.

Occupation
    Optometrist

History on the evolution of modern spring hinge.

I'm a bit of freelance writer.

Looking for info on the evolution of the modern spring hinge. What instigated it. Who started it. Who first designed it ...and such rot.

Got any suggestions.

Respectfully,
    dbracer
    "Do not waste time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor; act as if you do." C.S. Lewis

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I've never seen much literature on spring-loaded (or "sprung" in the UK) hinges. Your best bet might be to contact Luxottica (responsible several early spring-loaded hinges) or do a patent search.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always though safilo was the originator? Don't tell me my beloved Elasta frames didn't start it all!?!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I always though safilo was the originator? Don't tell me my beloved Elasta frames didn't start it all!?!
    I'm sure that Safilo was an early pioneer as well, although I have no idea whether Elasta hinges came out before or after products like Berdel's Sferoflex or the Avant-Garde spring hinges.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks guys. I'm sorry, and gal. Any more comments are welcome.

I understood Menrad as a pioneer, they were building high quality frames before any of those mentioned above as far as I know -- being intimately familiar with product back to '76.

The stuff I was introduced to on the U.S. market was junk 'til1980. Menrad came forth with new alloys, soft acrylic lens groove liners, & smooth action spring temples. Best stuff I'd seen. Were they the initiators? Not sure.

Respectfully,
    dbracer
    Last edited by dbracer; 11-29-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Bad English.
    "Do not waste time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor; act as if you do." C.S. Lewis

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safilo

As much as I despise Safilo, they have been in the game for 75 years. I believe they patented their Elast hinge in the early 70's. they may not be the first, but its a start.

I could do more digging and look through some of my old textbooks, patent search papers, and notes......but I'd feel like I would need to get paid for my research and writing credits on anything that you published!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl
    Your best bet might be to ... do a patent search
    The only way to know for certain is with a patent search. I did a quick patent search at the European Patent Office website. There are a variety of patents describing various spring hinge assemblies for spectacle frames going back as far back as the 1920s, such as GB270560 published in 1927...

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    The only way to know for certain is with a patent search. I did a quick patent search at the European Patent Office website. There are a variety of patents describing various spring hinge assemblies for spectacle frames going back as far back as the 1920s, such as GB270560 published in 1927...

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Oh Darryl, only you would do a quick patent search for spring hinges! Lol. If I ever pass my ABOC, and then go for my master, can I just use you for all refrences on my paper?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    can I just use you for all refrences on my paper?
    Yeah, probably...

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Best regards,
    Darryl
    it seems the ideas/designs/and math were always out there...just need the proper materials/tooling to pull it off!
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope you can find a sentence or two for those of us who feel if a frame is fitted properly and made from quality materials springs are not necessary.The Clubman series in all their various parts and bridge sizes comes to mind.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    "I could do more digging and look through some of my old textbooks, patent search papers, and notes......but I'd feel like I would need to get paid for my research and writing credits on anything that you published!"

Ya gotta point. One always has to admire Daryl. The guy does far more, I'm sure, than he gets paid for. He helped me write an entire article on CNC PA's. Never blinked. The man's a saint. I don't care what anyone says. Ya gotta admit when someone is better than you. And Daryl and my wife are better men than I. 'nough said.
    Last edited by dbracer; 11-29-2012 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Need to say what need to be said

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Sorry to not be able to contribute to the discussion, but I think that the introduction of the sprung hinge may have actually led to an amount of complacency in frame design.

What is the most likely component of a frame to break, after all? You tend to find that the best quality frames nowadays have other hinge designs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    haha me and uncle fester on the same wavelength there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only thing I have learned (and retained) about this is that the BEST ones are make in Germany and are usually a gold color!

I personally try and stay away from them... all those extra parts to break!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would give Ed Welch a call. He may be able to help in your quest!

http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From Sasieni "Principles and Practice"

"Originally, the device consisted of a simple coil spring round the dowel pin, but in modern frames they are much more sophisticated.

For example, the Martin Wells Welflex springe hinge contains a pivoted leaf spring within the body of the side plate(Fig1.31). The Rodenstock Rodaflex asnd Ronaflex and Sferoflex are other hinges of similar types."

I assume the Safilo Elasta was a later 70's kind o thing.
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I hope you can find a sentence or two for those of us who feel if a frame is fitted properly and made from quality materials springs are not necessary.The Clubman series in all their various parts and bridge sizes comes to mind.
    Well... I agree that a good fit is a good fit, and there are plenty of good non-spring hinges now, but when I started (and maybe you started before me) the frame industry was a slipshod joke.

I was inserting screws half my time even with retaining fluid, the barrels wore out in a sneeze, alloys of the tomato can variety, and even the acrylics aged badly, save nylon. Top shelf European designs made my life in the dispensary a lot more pleasant, and again, the first impressive one to reach me was Menrad.

So maybe the spring hinge wasn't the cause but the affect of overcoming poor American ingenuity. Certainly well made frames and spring hinges showed up at the same time.

Now the story I heard, once, was that when the digital watch appeared there were some watchmakers who saw hard times. Entered the design and manipulation of spring hinges.

I have no idea if this story has any validity. There are certainly holes in it but.... it's one story. Stories are a dime a dozen ... especially if you buy'em on Kindle.

Respectfully,
    dbracer
    Last edited by dbracer; 11-29-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Too dam... uhh... too long

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You guys are amazing though. You have these little bits of info that are fabulous.

Have y'all seen William Rosenthal's book Spectacle and other Vision Aids: A History and Guide to Collecting. The guy is an absolute genius. Makes me wonder what I've been doing with my life. Anyway, take a look. It's fantastic.

Respectfully,
    dbracer

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I would give Ed Welch a call. He may be able to help in your quest!

http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/
    I like it Fezz. Thanks. I try this.
    Respectfully,
    dbracer

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by n711 View Post
    The only thing I have learned (and retained) about this is that the BEST ones are make in Germany and are usually a gold color!

I personally try and stay away from them... all those extra parts to break!
    The Morel Lightec hinge is an exception. It's a brilliant design -- simple, robust, and elegant.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Found this and still looking

Anything new on your side?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by dbracer View Post
    I like it Fezz. Thanks. I try this.
    Respectfully,
    dbracer