R: -3.00/-1.00x90 Add:+2.00
    L: -2.50/-0.75x95 Add:+2.00
    Vertex tested 12mm
    Vertex specs 12mm
    Lens: Panorama Plus
    Fit Height 5.5mm above HCL
    Panto tilt 7 Degrees
    Frame shape Depth 30mm

Px feels that distance vision clear, Near vision clear and comfortable, however intermediate not clear or comfortable, Px is using intermediate seg at a visual distance of around 1m client finds that if raises head while wearing frame at normal position intermediate clear but when using normally cant access intermediate zone without uncomfortable head position, Px finds that if puts frames on bottom of nose and looks through distance seg that intermediate clearer and easier.

Seg Height - Perfect - centre of pupil
    Frame fit - Perfect
    Checked Rx - Stable/No Change

Tried to lower Add power finds that near not clear enough, tried to modify distance rx feels that is not clear enough, so calculated intermediate rx put into trial frame finds that is perfect, once back into frames finds unusable.

Have tested for muscle imbalance - None
    Looked at material/index intolerance - none
    looked at previous and new base curves - identical
    Tried different lens design/s - same problems
    (Firstly Presio, then Sola One, now back to Panorama plus)

Have drawn a short blank on this one, does anyone here have any ideas for a solution to get the clients intermediate working correctly? because I'm out of ideas!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi nope there is no logik to it, unless panorama plus can be made whit a variable corridor lenght.
    and that have changede.
    Peter

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Short, late in day answer: 1 meter is distance VA, not intermediate. Ability, due to age is changing as well. Check for a further reduction in myopia(non timid refraction required) and coach re: trifocal requirement, as a opposed to multifocal(defiency of area).
    Eyes wide open

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you patient is looking for a crystal clear vision at the "intermediate" portion of the lens good luck

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Short, late in day answer: 1 meter is distance VA, not intermediate. Ability, due to age is changing as well. Check for a further reduction in myopia(non timid refraction required) and coach re: trifocal requirement, as a opposed to multifocal(defiency of area).

So would lowering the Seg height and changing to a short corridor length lens help with this?

Surely if I have put the intermediate rx into a trial frame and client finds this useful at that 1m distance this should work fine in the progressive lens also? albeit that the px will have distortion to contend with but with only a 0.25 change in rx this would not effect it that severely to the point they are unusable.

Maybe it is just age and the ability to accommodate at that required focal length is effecting this but if the last test results and the trial framed rx of the new rx where more or less identical this would not be the case? px does see better with the new rx to the point where she finds the old rx not useful.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    So would lowering the Seg height and changing to a short corridor length lens help with this?

Surely if I have put the intermediate rx into a trial frame and client finds this useful at that 1m distance this should work fine in the progressive lens also? albeit that the px will have distortion to contend with but with only a 0.25 change in rx this would not effect it that severely to the point they are unusable.

Maybe it is just age and the ability to accommodate at that required focal length is effecting this but if the last test results and the trial framed rx of the new rx where more or less identical this would not be the case? px does see better with the new rx to the point where she finds the old rx not useful.
    In answer to your question, IMO.....No. I qualify that with the person is searching in the multifocal for a power which is a mere "ribbon" in existance. It's neighboring powers above and below are also useful......at further and nearer distance. Your person is either over-minused for the distance correction, which is giving them discomfort and a lack of resolve at the one meter mark, or is experiencing galloping presbyopia. The person was probably experiencing it before, but the extra -.25 on the left pushed it over the tolerance level, so the search and experimentation is on. "I can see better..................if I turn them upside down!"

The answer to your 2nd question........of course a large 35 mm field of a trial lens is going to be superior to look through.......in a multi that power only exists in a miniscule ribbon, and is not directly in front of the eye.....this only reinforces that the person could use a trifocal, an office lens, or a new refraction.

Dinner bell!
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If their lifestyle warrants it, I would have to say a second pair of office lenses is in order.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    If you patient is looking for a crystal clear vision at the "intermediate" portion of the lens good luck
    My thoughts exactly.... sounds like they need some task specific eyewear! Or the good 'ol 7x28 tri!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post

any ideas for a solution to get the clients intermediate working correctly? because I'm out of ideas!
    Have you offered him a short Scotch. I like Jack Daniels Black Label. Frequently straightens out the distance, clears-up the near, and they really don't care 'bout the intermediate. Give it a try.

Respectfully,
    dbracer
    Last edited by dbracer; 11-29-2012 at 12:57 AM.
    "Do not waste time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor; act as if you do." C.S. Lewis

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is your solution:

Offer your patient second pair for work...

You're welcome :)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Px feels that distance vision clear, Near vision clear and comfortable, however intermediate not clear or comfortable, Px is using intermediate seg at a visual distance of around 1m client finds that if raises head while wearing frame at normal position intermediate clear but when using normally cant access intermediate zone without uncomfortable head position

First I would say that I love my in office lenses and believe in having eyewear that meets the customers lifestyle including multiple pairs as needed.

Second, based on your comments I pasted above, if the Px finds the intermediate more usable by lifting their head (I assume you mean tilt it back), then would it be possible that a "shorter corridor" design might help as it brings the intermediate and reading zones higher into the lens?

The new In Touch lens design that has a quicker first step into the intermediate may also help this Px if the "nearer" intermediate is more important than the "further" intermediate.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I don't have experience with the InTouch (the Shamir lens isn't it?) but I agree a short corridor may help. Fitting a softer design progressive (I haven't heard of the Panorama but it sounds hard!) should improve intermediate vision. I would personally recommend the Hoya ID as it has the widest intermediate I am aware of. You could even go a step further and try the ID Mystyle as it will take into account the patient's specific needs. That is your best bet, in my opinion, without trying occupational lenses as others have mentioned. The problem with broaching that topic is that many patients think a varifocal is a lens for 'everything' and it can be hard to change certain people's minds.

Now, please could someone educate me about the 'Panorama'?

Thread Information