Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's stirring with Clearly CL's and other onliners

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Manitoba OD:

I am aware of the ANSI standards but that was not the point and you have buried yourself in rhetoric. The question is who backs it up in the field, checks the dispensing of it and adds teeth to the standards ? You are only talking about the written rules not the teeth needed to stand behind it in the field.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Manitoba OD:

I am aware of the ANSI standards but that was not the point and you have buried yourself in rhetoric. The question is who backs it up in the field, checks the dispensing of it and adds teeth to the standards ? You are only talking about the written rules not the teeth needed to stand behind it in the field.
    Why are you always so defensive??? For a 'so called' supporter of our mutual professions, you certainly like to ruffle feathers rather than groom them amongst your peers. Is it all possible for you to post just once without bashing the Colleges or creating silos?

Concerted, focused efforts gain much more support and energy and produce much better results.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Reason idispense is so angry, is that he is probably Jay Hakim, college board member. He can't come out and admit it because his harsh words and criticism of the college itself would leave him open to potential breach of trust charges against him.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Take a photo booth kiosk, add a computer and a card reader to read the benefit card, some virtual try on software, slap the contraption in a factory or mall and voila, the insurance benefits are processed before the employee can leave the booth ...B&M stores won't know who moved their cheese.

There is a reason field inspectors became none existant. It was to open up the field.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    CC's customer base is bottom feeder cheap consumers looking for a great deal period. These are not people with insurance coverage or benefits (perhaps a very small percentage do) and if they do are willing to forfeit using their coverage for the best price, so in a sense people with benefits is a whole new market for CC - however...

Accepting insurance plans and having the ability to provide your own are two completely different things. Anybody that can register online with a BM location is pretty much guaranteed approval as a provider.

But, what we are discussing here is virtual online company that has developed their own policy coverage for purchase to employers/employees. Companies will not support an insurance policy that only offers its services and products through a monitor and keyboard - I dealt with HR departments for many years and trust me, they do their homework before committing to any supplier, especially when it will fully impact employees and their families. How do you pick a suitable frame for a 5 year old child with strabismus?? It requires a BM location, there's no other way.

The majority of people who have coverage are not flocking to the web - they are supporters of real 'ophthalmic professionals'. Even if it did transpire, where would the employee go when they have an issue and nobody wants to see or help him? That's right - to the HR administrator at their employer to complain about their dismay and lack of satisfaction.

So when I say they need a network of BM locations - they need to be tapped into and have access to 'real professionals' with 'real' locations - they don't need to own a chain, but they do have to be strategically aligned with this network, and if there were an acquisition and the same owner owns both the supply chain and the dispensing network - voila!
    You are so wrong!

People with insurance benefits do buy on line and the insurance companies promote on line companies.

First on line vendors attacked B&M on the basis of greed and price and they sucessfully changed the public's perception of the value of eyewear and ECP's . Now online vendors are going to change the publics perception even more by making themselves one stop shops that include insurance processing thereby removing your customer from the 2 year return frequencies.

They don't need B&M affiliation to improve their bottom line and ruin yours, they only need to offer insurance processing to continue to ruin the perception of value of B&M .

Did they need to make a profit to make people think we are too expensive ?

Did they need to comply with local applicable laws to remove your customer base and solicit customers in your home town ?

They do not need B&M , they control B&M . B&M is scared to insist that the regulators do the jobs they are paid to enforce. Regulators are scared to do their jobs because of the BC fiasco and political situation .
    Last edited by idispense; 12-13-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    So much for that notion...
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Take a photo booth kiosk, add a computer and a card reader to read the benefit card, some virtual try on software, slap the contraption in a factory or mall and voila, the insurance benefits are processed before the employee can leave the booth ...B&M stores won't know who moved their cheese.

There is a reason field inspectors became none existant. It was to open up the field.
    Jay/idispense, are you saying that your board conspired to dismantle the field inspectors in order to open up the market for online dispensing? That makes no sense since its outside of Ontario and your board has zero jurisdiction in other provinces. Then again, you're on the board so I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Idispense is not Jay Hakim......this I know. I actually like him as a person.
    However my opinion is that he would rather stir the pot on here and talk about conspiracy theories
    rather than trying to drive more business to his location.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many have pointed out that on line vendors are not profitable and will not survive, yet there are more today than last year and your cheese continues to move out your back door and into their kitchen. In fact, they now blatently move your cheese directly out your front door without restraint. Attacking B&M on the insurance angle will now move even more of your cheese onto their kitchen plates .

Would someone please tell onliners that it is illegal to move our cheese if they are not profitable . Oh wait a minute , maybe someone should tell the dotcom companies like FACEBOOK that it is not right to build up millions of user base without first knowing how to turn that user base into profitable $$

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who would have believed that a provinces legislative ACTs could be turned inside out within 60 days and a industry constructively deregulated and that afterwards their membership would continue to pay into a constructively deregulated regulator ?

The point is our present model does not work and the rest of North America needs to learn from a failed model and correct it . We are not required to sit and stagnate with models that do not work . We need to change those models or abandon them.

The opponents that stole your cheese did not play by your rules, instead they rewrote your legislation for you so that it suited them . Why are you defending a legislative model that does not work ?

In the BC case the judges essentially told (read the transcripts yourself) both opposing parties that they were free to seek legislative change to support their business models . One sought that change and constructively deregulated a province . What did the other do ?

The BC judges pointed out the strength of wording in the Alberta ACT and suggested that BC would have won had they employed that same wording . Instead they are constructively deregulated.

Why can a BC judge see this , state it in writing and others can't even see or understand it after constructive deregulation has taken place and your cheese continues to move into anothers kitchen ?
    Last edited by idispense; 12-13-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Idispense is not Jay Hakim......this I know. I actually like him as a person.
    However my opinion is that he would rather stir the pot on here and talk about conspiracy theories
    rather than trying to drive more business to his location.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    +1. We've all come to just simply ignore idiotic replies.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shall I assume that there is disbelief in the "photo kiosk connected to a computer and card reader concept for processing eyeglass orders without B&M stores and automatically processing the insurance claims " ?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I always thought the disruptive patterns of idispense on the forums mirrored those of Jay Hakim on the college board. That's why i believe they are the same.

Jay Hakim is not as disruptive on the board as he use to be, now that he's been banned/barred & ejected from the college permises. Optiboard seemed like the best spot for him to continue his rants about conspiracies and schemes to do ill harm to the profession.

But maybe idispense isn't Jay Hakim after all. To idispense, my apologies.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I agree with idispense... the regulatory bodies involved in optics are ridiculously poor. I think members of the public would be outraged by just how poor they are.

Thread Information