Thread: Continuum

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Continuum

So, I've always fit occupational lenses like a normal progressive lens when taking a seg height. My boss says that you split you measure half way between the pupil and the bottom lid. I hve found any clear documentation on this. The dispensing guide say's that the pupil should fall within 5mm of the 180, if not then adjust vertically as needed. What say you? BTW I've been fitting these for a long time and have never had any trouble. The lens in question is the Continuum.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With that brand,................. it's dispenser/consumer choice. Has the lens been used before? What is the B dimension of the frame. Will there be adequate intermediate, and/or reading, if you position it at X? What angle will it be used at(podium, whiteboard, drafting table, sheet music, etc)? What are the consumer needs/expectations, bearing in mind the add usefulness. I think +1.00? How tall/short is the consumer? Arm length? Comfortable at what position?
    Eyes wide open

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I naver had luck with the Continnum. Good luck with that.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    My boss says that you split you measure half way between the pupil and the bottom lid. I hve found any clear documentation on this.
    That's probably as good a recommendation as any.

I hve found any clear documentation on this. The dispensing guide say's that the pupil should fall within 5mm of the 180, if not then adjust vertically as needed
    Continuum was designed to be "easy to fit," so the fitting and dispensing instructions were intended to allow for flexibility. In theory, if the eyes were centered well (vertically) in the frame, no fitting height was required; in this case, the lenses were fabricated with the centration point along the datum (180) line of the frame.

The fitting point of the lens is in the center of the progressive zone that connects that stable intermediate and near zones. If the centration point of the lens is located farther than 5 mm below the pupil, it may be less comfortable for the wearer during reading vision. Of course, you could fit the centration point directly to pupil center, but some wearers may find the stabilized intermediate zone then too high in this situation.

Consequently, the wearer will generally enjoy optimal optical performance and visual utility when the centration point of the lens is located a few millimeters below pupil center. Measuring to pupil center and then subtracting 3 mm is a common way to do this, but splitting the difference between pupil center and the lower lid will also work.

Like traditional readers, the horizontal decentration of the centration point is based upon the near PD with Continuum, not the far PD.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyChief View Post
    I naver had luck with the Continnum. Good luck with that.
    The continuum and most other "office" style lenses are some of the few lenses that I've never had a patient reject. They have universally loved them. You may want to revisit the manufacturer's instructions and Darryl's post above.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Thread Information