Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ou

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    I would advise a review of the concept of yoked prism for those not aware.

Do you suggest a certain text or reference for those of us who are unclear or rusty on the subject?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Most people just don't start wearing that much prism out of the blue. The previous pair probably had a good deal of prism base in and should have been a clue.
    That is a assumption...........and we all know about assumptions.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    It is proper to use OU when you are referring to things like blepharitis or conjunctivitis in both eyes, or referring to putting drops in both eyes...but it is not proper when referring to prescribed prism.

I think I've said all I'm gonna say about this.
    A great BIG thumbs up and a LIKE button! It can not be any better stated or any more easy to understand.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Every 2 years during Florida continuing education classes we have to take a 2 hour course on medical errors. It talks about the most common mistakes that can happen. There is always a story about the an rx not being interpreted correctly. One non related optical story is when a doctor had to amputate a patients leg, but accidently did the wrong one. All do to the patients chart not being filled out correctly.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    oops, sorry for the typos, lol.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you cannot understand 3D BI OU it is not misinterpretation, it is not understanding what you are doing. With the current state of Opticianry, you may just be right however. You may even want to draw pictures.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Do you suggest a certain text or reference for those of us who are unclear or rusty on the subject?
    Of course, Fezz. Borish, Clinical Refraction. You can find some variance in today's terminology, however. In the more contemporary field of vision therapy, the COVD describes yoked prism as just that, same direction. An example from the free dictionary mentions it as follows:

yoke prism's Two prisms, one in front of each eye, of equal deviation and direction (e.g. 2 ΧBU, OU). The apparent view moves towards the apex of the prisms. These are sometimes prescribed in the management of nystagmus, in visual training, for the bedridden (BD prisms) and in some cases of physical disability. (Fig. P19) Note: also spelt yoked prisms. Syn. version prisms (http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/prism). So there is some variance in the term.

Another reference you may appreciate is as follows:
    http://www.thesgassociates.com/Artic...ysfunction.pdf. It holds true to the more contemporary description of yoked prism.

I hope this is helpful to better understanding of the subject. I stand by my comment that it is not regularly used in practice and the overall effect on the typical consumer with vertical prism in the sme base direction is 0.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you Warren!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope this is helpful to better understanding of the subject. I stand by my comment that it is not regularly used in practice and the overall effect on the typical consumer with vertical prism in the sme base direction is 0.
    Dr Sheedy did a study around 1987 on yoked prism (BD). 2D was tolerable by almost all participants whereas 4D was intolerable by most. The difference could be the VA loss from LCA's though.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It's all in the "U".

Uterque - the meaning is each eye in this scenario.
    Unitas - the meaning is both in this scenario.

Uterque is the proper word for the "U" in OU so the prescription should mean the prism in both eye's not split between the eyes. Unitas would suggest split between both eyes which is not the case here. The same holds similar for a script writtten:

OU: -3.00 DS

It is not split but -3.00 in each eye. The description is very clear, but I would still call because it should not be used with prism. This also holds true with the degree symbol as it can be confused with a "0" making an axis of 18 into and axis of 180 so it is wrong to use degree symbols when writing out a prescription. I find it necessary to slash my 7's as well so that their is no confusion in the matter. A recipe is best when easily interpreted, even pharmacists are moving away from the common acronyms for frequency of dosage to a more clear direction.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you cannot understand 3D BI OU it is not misinterpretation, it is not understanding what you are doing. With the current state of Opticianry, you may just be right however. You may even want to draw pictures.
    Warren,

It can be misinterpreted by those who don't understand prescribed prism, as well as by those who do.

WRT yoked prism Rxs- I've filled two, in recent years, one from a behavioral/developmental optometrist, and one from a neuro-ophthalmologist. We don't see it "often", and is not "far-fetched", although its use in developmental optometry is probably not mainstream. It's effectiveness is certainly not "zero", especially for TBI.

Best regards,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Dr Sheedy did a study around 1987 on yoked prism (BD). 2D was tolerable by almost all participants whereas 4D was intolerable by most. The difference could be the VA loss from LCA's though.
    Pardon my ignorance-

LCA?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The effect of bilateral vertical prism in the same direction is 0, even in Brooklyn. Why would you see this often?
    Vertical yoked prism prescription have the potential to reorder and reorient visual function by simultaneously affecting visual motor and visual sensory processes.

The term "yoked prism" was originally used to differentiate it from the typically prescribed lateral prism. They are defined as a pair of prism lenses of equal power with their prism base in the same direction. The utilization of these prism lenses are highly selective and specific.

Basic philosophy of Behavioral Optometry and the use of vertical prism prescription is that efficient acquisition and processing of visual information requires the development of a good representation of the 3-dimensional structure of body and environmental space and the ability to move attention freely within this space.

Can you imagine this sometimes happens even in Brooklyn!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Pardon my ignorance-

LCA?
    I'm going with lateral chromatic aberration. I would have thought radial chromatic aberration though. Hmmm.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm going with lateral chromatic aberration. I would have thought radial chromatic aberration though. Hmmm.
    Yes, Lateral chromatic aberration. It's more noticeable than ACA's (Axial chromatic aberration). My speculation is probably wrong though because LCA's are also very dependent of a lens materials Abbe's. More than likely Sheedy's studies used glass trial lenses. Darryl has an excellent CE on the subject here, ( and I hope he chimes in on the Sheedy study);

http://www.2020mag.com/ce/TTViewTest...essonId=107855

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Warren,

It can be misinterpreted by those who don't understand prescribed prism, as well as by those who do.

WRT yoked prism Rxs- I've filled two, in recent years, one from a behavioral/developmental optometrist, and one from a neuro-ophthalmologist. We don't see it "often", and is not "far-fetched", although its use in developmental optometry is probably not mainstream. It's effectiveness is certainly not "zero", especially for TBI.

Best regards,
    Hi Robert
    Its prismatic effect, as we typically think of it is 0. We would typically see vertical prism in opposite directions. Yoked prism can be used for folks with speecific conditions, like TBI, as you aptly point out. But I am sorry, if someone does not understand OU, and considers it to mean base out, they have no business taking care of patients. But as Opticianry has disintegrated to what it is today, I am not surprised. The pictures may just be called for in this environment.

Best,
    Warren

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Yes, Lateral chromatic aberration. It's more noticeable than ACA's (Axial chromatic aberration). My speculation is probably wrong though because LCA's are also very dependent of a lens materials Abbe's. More than likely Sheedy's studies used glass trial lenses. Darryl has an excellent CE on the subject here, ( and I hope he chimes in on the Sheedy study);

http://www.2020mag.com/ce/TTViewTest...essonId=107855
    You know we're a bunch of nerds, right?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The biggest nerds I've ever met on the interwebs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seen my avatar?

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    There was a long discussion about this, years ago: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...t=ocular+latin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I received an Rx recently that abbreviated OUT as OU. I'll try to find it. Here's how my software handles the abbreviations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails O.U..jpg  

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DOS Robert?

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Are we really going to be looking to Alpha Bytes as a guide to the appropriate way to something like this? Using "OU" as an abbreviation for "out" strikes me as a profoundly bad idea. I agree with the proposition stated earlier, that a polar expression is superior in just about every way.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DOS Robert?
    Yup. Limping into the 21st century. If there was a comparable program, and if all of the data (16 years worth) could be converted...

Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    Are we really going to be looking to Alpha Bytes as a guide to the appropriate way to something like this? Using "OU" as an abbreviation for "out" strikes me as a profoundly bad idea.
    Can 'o' worms it is. I just wanted everyone to know it's out there. I'll call the doctor when I find the Rx that used this prism notation, but it was an OMD...

I agree with the proposition stated earlier, that a polar expression is superior in just about every way.
    Agreed. It's should be universal.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most people just don't start wearing that much prism out of the blue. The previous pair probably had a good deal of prism base in and should have been a clue.
    Can I get a freaking amen?
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Thread Information