Thread: Scratches

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Scratches

I have an associate in the lab who scratches everything he thinks about touching. We have discussed every way possible to prevent scratches. These are mostly semi rimless poly AR jobs but occur frequently on full frame jobs too. What practices do you have in place to prevent scratches? Anything might help. I believe that most are from improper cleaning.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    He's also a pretty significant hyperope and states he can't see them. I have him taping both sides of the lens if its a grooved lens but this a temporary fix. Any others suffering from hyperopia >+6 have trouble too?

Occupation
    Put him in contacts.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Can you describe the location of the scratches...random or same location. Also a brief description of processing equipment would help. On the finish side scratches can arise from several sources..lensometer, edger, hand edger, deblocking and mounting, cleaning clothes etc.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Wes: He is also presbyopic. We've tried several different contacts and contacts/glasses combinations.

Precision Lab. We've worked out most of the obvious sources such as lensometer scratches and poor mounting techniques with the rimless. The nylon string was being dragged on the front of the lens as it was pulled into position. We use optisafe slipstops, blocked with a cs7 blocker, spartan edger, handstone with wet and dry wheels, a stand alone groover, and a digital lensometer. Most appear to be cleaning scratches however I'm not sure how is his producing them. He takes extra cation (moves slow) and rinses under running water often. The scratches are random on the lenses.

Fezz, my hands are so dry they had to use both of those products to take my finger prints for my state license. I'll give it a shot but I don't think that's it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by theGross1 View Post
    I have an associate in the lab who scratches everything he thinks about touching. We have discussed every way possible to prevent scratches. These are mostly semi rimless poly AR jobs but occur frequently on full frame jobs too. What practices do you have in place to prevent scratches? Anything might help. I believe that most are from improper cleaning.
    The sad fact is that you might want to re-assign duties, and have this person do the things within their capabilities, and that might not include assembly.
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    I'm trying to hold out but that is where the road looks to be leading.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I unfortunately had to laugh as I read the initial post, because I have a similar situation. My guy has great attention to detail.. and I believe he gets a bit over zealous in his cleaning, and ends up creating more problems than he saves. Had to tell him on more than one occasion that the polish already did its work, he just needs to give it a spritz on both sides, gently wipe the lenses, and then the rest of the frame. No scrubbing should be necessary.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    X-Ray (leaded) glass is at least as bad, and the only way we've found to combat processing scratches is by enforcing cleanliness rules. Nothing touches the lens surface EXCEPT clean fingers or clean towels. If the towel is dropped on the floor, it can't be used. If it is put on a table top, it can't be used. (put it over your shoulder!!) Clean hands, lightly rubbing the surface of the lens underwater.

I liked the idea about skin lotion, but then you get the grease which is a whole 'nuther problem.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Neoprene gloves?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    X-Ray (leaded) glass is at least as bad, and the only way we've found to combat processing scratches is by enforcing cleanliness rules. Nothing touches the lens surface EXCEPT clean fingers or clean towels. If the towel is dropped on the floor, it can't be used. If it is put on a table top, it can't be used. (put it over your shoulder!!) Clean hands, lightly rubbing the surface of the lens underwater.

I liked the idea about skin lotion, but then you get the grease which is a whole 'nuther problem.
    Yaaaa, then the "dropsies" start occurring..............how about white gloves?
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Neoprene gloves?
    Yup. Have him glove it up. Latex or nitril are cheap enough and you can still feel what you're doing.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Anybody with two left hands should not be used in the finishing of glasses...........

Anybody with two left hands should not be used in the finishing of glasses, move him to invoicing or anothert job he can cope with. He is getting paid to scratch lenses, gloves or no gloves. The person might be very good in another position, if not stop paying him.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We were still having an issue, and I had made an observation when I was running production. It seems that a few of the folks have been using the paint pen meant for hydrophobics on all lenses to help them see "the dots." When I was doing the final inspection, many of these dots would stay whole and slide across the surface of the lens. I can only imagine what that does if any of those chips stick to a towel.

It was the POSCA white pen..
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are ink markers that are better alternatives than paint. Keeping in mind the forum rules I won't promote my favorite, but all the usual suppliers have options. Give them a try.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    We do a dry cut finishing on our poly and trivex lenses. Our experience is that after the edging cycle there would be very fine debris that would be deposited onto the surface of the lens that we had to exert so much pressure wiping with alcohol-soaked kimwipes to take off. More often than not we were unlucky in not scratching the surcface of the lens because of this process. Our theory why there were such deposit of poly debris was because cutting poly creates so much heat during the roughing cycle that attracts debris due to a creation of static energy. Our solution was to apply hair wax on to the surface of the lens after blocking it, to serve as a buffer. Quite troublesome and costly but it significantly reduced our redos due to scratches. Just thought about sharing this. Thanks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    to add to last post... lens dust is horrible... its like diamonds on glass. any time i have dust from the hand edger I rinse it in the sink before cleaning.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    I actually would blame on the inferior coatings. Now that I have be gone from LC an working in a different lab we have no scratches.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I actually would blame on the inferior coatings. Now that I have be gone from LC an working in a different lab we have no scratches.
    That's what I was thinking. We have switched to only higher end coatings, and over the last 3 years, have had virtually ZERO probs w/ scratching. The older technology and some inferior coatings are still a potential nightmare. AA

Thread Information