Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about another IS OPTICIANRY DEAD thread?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

How about another IS OPTICIANRY DEAD thread?

So, it's been a year since the last IS OPTICIANRY DEAD thread. Where are we? Are we wiser? Have we made any progress?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By observation, I think we have entered the Zombie phase!
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Let us start..............

Firstly, since the question is being posed, again, there must be some truth to the rumor. Therefore, if I may, I will pen the obligatory....................

Here lies:

Joan/John Q Optician, who died of complications of apathy, consumer abuse, neglect by employer, and shunning by online users.

He/she will be, sadly, missed by all loyal,and anal retentive consumers, engineers, chain store managers, and freebie seekers.

Joan/John was predeceased by parents "ophthalmic dispenser" and "certified contact lens fitter", who are now, unfortunately divorced. They were predeceased by many uncles..............ophthalmologists who cared about preserving vision, but developed lasik dependency.
    Eyes wide open

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Where are we?............................................

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post

Where are we?........................... Are we wiser?.......................... Have we made any progress?

Where are we?............................................

Still at the same address than last year, refusing to move, singing halleluya to the FDA who stopped a small part of direct online supplies to the consumers,ignoring, disagreeing that major changes are needed.

Are we wiser?.................................

In general we don't realise or see the the clouds of the Perfect Storm, "Hurricane ON-LINE" approaching. The weather forecasters are in a minority and in general ignored, and we belittle their warnings. So we will have to endure the weather as it comes.

Have we made any progress?............................

Yes, in technology, we can get more money with newly developed products, which are often rehashed older ones, that are strongly promoted by the large manufacturing corporations, ignoring that every other competition can offer the same at their own time and taste.

No, for the educational department. Every thread on the subject on this Forum dies a slow death, initiated by its opponents who do not realize or admit that education is for the benefit of any profession.

The only progression is, that the dangers to this profession are now openly mentioned on this forum, a subject that was taboo for many years.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does the SAO have anything to add to the discussion?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like reading old threads since I wasn't a member at the time they were written.
    I believe Chris, you stated almost identical comments in 2004 about online eyewear.
    Hows come 8 years later business for us is only thriving?? When are the online companies going to come by and buy our store and shut us down? Another 8 years? Longer?
    Nothing to worry about really. When they start selling the products we do, AND personally fitting them, then I'll only be interested - not concerned. So tired.....of online talk.

Occupation

Blue Jumper When are the online companies going to come by and buy our store ..................

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyf1509 View Post

I like reading old threads since I wasn't a member at the time they were written.
    I believe Chris, you stated almost identical comments in 2004 about online eyewear.

Hows come 8 years later business for us is only thriving??

When are the online companies going to come by and buy our store and shut us down? Another 8 years? Longer?

anthonyf..........................I still remember these threads from years ago, when OptiBoard members laughed at my comments and called
    me crazy when I warned about a coming recession three years before it actually happened.

In those years, most of the then active OB members admired and loved the goodies the large optical corporations dished out to them in products and ideas. They did not see where it was all leading to.

Also the American optician does not look any further than their own interest within their borders and what is happening in the professional field in other parts of the globe is being totally ignored. The threat to this profession is world wide and already being practised in higher populated countries like India (1,241,491,960 - 2011, Source: World Bank) by the large corporations. One of them among others, owns a lab operation with over 1000 employees and the largest direct to consumer on-line optical based in that country. The other corporation has invested in building a retail chain empire of hundreds of stores.
    These corporations also invest heavily in the educational field of Optometry as this is the necessary profession to produce prescriptions.

The on-line companies will never shut you down, but they will try to starve you out. With a new recession or even a depression looming on the horizon, their chances for a seizable increase in their on-line business has definitely increased.

However they do need professional opticians as their product is as un-finished as you get it from the optical lab, or your own workshop.
    The product needs checking, adjusting, repairs, modifications and many other services which you can supply.
    According to OB post's the consensus is nearly 100% against charging for services because they are supposed to be free and included in the present markup system.

So a change of the age old system of charging for eyeglasses by the individual B&M retailer seems to justified and be a must to survive in the not so far future.........................

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    IS OPTICIANRY DEAD??

Only if you want to lay down and die. Dare to be different. Not all of the public want their lenses made in China, or Mexico, or Thailand. There will always be those who shop for PRICE ONLY. That goes for the public as well as opticians. You get what you pay for is still true today! Personal service will always be important to the others.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters
    Laramy-K Optical

Occupation

Unemployment is surging across the Northeast...........................

US Unemployed The number of people unemployed in the US peaked in October 2009 at 15,421,000. There are now 3,163,000 fewer people unemployed in the country. From a post peak low of 12,088,000 in September 2012, the number of unemployed has now grown again by 170,000. US employment and jobs data (including jobs lost/gained) is also available.

http://www.deptofnumbers.com/unemployment/us/

Bureau of Labor Statistics, By Evan Soltas Oct 3, 2012 5:26 PM ET

Unemployment is surging across the Northeast. In two states -- New York and New Jersey -- the statewide rates of unemployment are higher than they were at any point during the recession. In Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut and Pennsylvania, years' worth of progress against unemployment has been reversed in a matter of months...................................

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...-soaring-.html
    When above mentioned millions of un-employed have the choice between a few different pricing versions of eyeglasses where will they go and purchase them ? Will they care where the glasses have been produced ? Will they take the chance to forgo the professional service or not ?

How about the old age pensions which are underfunded ? The pensioners who have made big losses on the stock market. Are they looking for better pricing for their glasses ?

These people are not the ones that are looking for cheaper because it is in their nature to go for cheap, it is because they are forced by economics and bad luck.

Opticians will have to be different from the age old system and adapt to the present and future or they will be archived into history like this thread.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Does the SAO have anything to add to the discussion?
    Agree. It's now been two (2)-years since the SAO was formed. Many of us await a progress report.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ted,
    I do not know what kind of report you want, but the SAO is not an organization designed to do anything beyond providing recognition to those with appropriate educational credentials. It is not political in any way. It will slowly and quietly go about providing those who become members with the ability to stand out from the pack. That is its sole work. We have only 25 members or so, but it is continuing to grow. One interesting thing........and it may just be my interpretation of the events.........but this summit that is now going on took place with similar goals. I hope were were instrumental in inspiring this new movement. I was disappointed, since I am the loudest proponent of formal education for Opticians, not to have been invited, but I am pleased John and Wes are participating in the summit and its leadership.

I hope all is well with you in Canada.
    Warren

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    So, it's been a year since the last IS OPTICIANRY DEAD thread. Where are we? Are we wiser? Have we made any progress?
    I'll speak for myself.

Is Opticianry Dead? No, Opticianry springs eternal in my neck of the woods. I have had several people ask for help with moving forward with their careers in both education and certification. I have offerd help where I could and moral support where it was needed. of course I'm also in an unlicensed state so we tend to be below the radar for most conversations.

Where are we? Still here, still kicking. Business is up! I have seen a renewed interest in supporting small business in this past year. I hope it continues.

Are we wiser? Yes, I hope so. I know better what hasn't worked thus I tend to be able to see better what won't.

Have we made any progress? Yes and no. Each year has it's own triumphs and falls. I went to the convention, realized where my goals lay and where they don't. All in all, good progress.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    I'll speak for myself.

Is Opticianry Dead? No, Opticianry springs eternal in my neck of the woods. I have had several people ask for help with moving forward with their careers in both education and certification. I have offerd help where I could and moral support where it was needed. of course I'm also in an unlicensed state so we tend to be below the radar for most conversations.

Where are we? Still here, still kicking. Business is up! I have seen a renewed interest in supporting small business in this past year. I hope it continues.

Are we wiser? Yes, I hope so. I know better what hasn't worked thus I tend to be able to see better what won't.

Have we made any progress? Yes and no. Each year has it's own triumphs and falls. I went to the convention, realized where my goals lay and where they don't. All in all, good progress.
    Who are the "we"?

If you are not one of the "we", then opticianry is dead.

There was a fork in the road, and some folks figured is was easier to be salespersons than an opticians. For those folks, yes, opticianry IS dead (or they are dead to it).

For those that fall into the "we" category, opticinary is alive and kicking.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The selling of eyewear isn't dead...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post

The selling of eyewear isn't dead...
    How much of real professional opticianry is eyeware selling these day's ?????????????????????????????????????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    How much of real professional opticianry is eyeware selling these day's ?????????????????????????????????????
    At my establishment it is 100%.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    At my establishment it is 100%.
    There's your answer.

Eveyone must answer for themselves.

Chemistrie Eyewear
    Occupation
    I certainly hope opticianry is not dead since 100% of my company's sales are through independent retailers. Based upon what I see, it is far from dead. Those opticians that are business savvy, open to change, and provide great service are doing quite well. They develop strategies to compete with the new competition/distribution channels. Those opticians/independents who cannot adapt will struggle and fail. But you can say that about any profession/business, especially in today's world where technology accelerates change.

The discussion in this thread confuses two different issues: the state of opticianry as a profession and the state of the optician/independent retailer as a business in an increasingly competitive landscape. While related, these are really two different issues.

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Maybe I should have formulated my question as:

How many optical retailers employ non licensed employees to sell frames ?????????????

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris,

To your point on unemployment- what is the percentage of population unemployed? 10%? In real figures 15%, 20%? Whichever figure you use the majority will still be employed. Is it not better to concentrate on that? The media concentration on unemployment figures distorts the reality we deal with on a regular basis. Wheras cheap stuff on the internet changes simple commodities - eyeglasses have to be a little different. At least in my opinion they are. No doubt the internet market will grow, but my practice is growing too. I'll put my efforts into that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Job ads read "wanted :optician that can sell" translated that says.....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe I should have formulated my question as:

How many optical retailers employ non licensed employees to sell frames ?????????????
    I admit I've worked in the industry for 4 years and have never been certified. It had never been strongly recommended/encouraged to be certified until my current position. I never felt the need to be certified since it was never expected of me. The doctors were just happy that I had a knack for choosing and selling frames for patients and then helping them select the proper lens. Now that I've been studying for the ABO exam, I realize how much I didn't know and how much I have yet to learn. I guess my point is that employers don't necessarily look for their people to be trained if it's not necessary in their state and as long as that person increases their profits. (That may just be because in my state you're not required to be certified. I imagine it's quite different in states where it is required.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NUECoptical View Post
    I admit I've worked in the industry for 4 years and have never been certified. It had never been strongly recommended/encouraged to be certified until my current position. I never felt the need to be certified since it was never expected of me. The doctors were just happy that I had a knack for choosing and selling frames for patients and then helping them select the proper lens. Now that I've been studying for the ABO exam, I realize how much I didn't know and how much I have yet to learn. I guess my point is that employers don't necessarily look for their people to be trained if it's not necessary in their state and as long as that person increases their profits. (That may just be because in my state you're not required to be certified. I imagine it's quite different in states where it is required.)
    The problem in alot of cases is that the OD's staff are just a bunch of lay people dresses in white jackets who have a little knowledge.
    Interesting that employers wouldn't want the best for their patients.
    Hope that changes and OD's come to realize that their dispensaries will run much smoother with liscenced opticians than with others.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Hope that changes and OD's come to realize that their dispensaries will run much smoother with licensed opticians than with others.
    very true!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1 to posts #23 and 24!

Often (not always), it is the ODs and Mds that hire cheap and regardless of skill level. For many of these types, although the put much time, expense, and effort into the examination, and the glasses and contacts are a mere afterthought...just a way to add some profit to the practice. Again NOT all, but many.

Thread Information