Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did VSP Labs change their name?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why did VSP Labs change their name?

I'm really just curious.

Why would the various "VSP Labs" change to be "VSP One" labs.

Is it a reorganization at a corporate level?

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like the beginning of a joke.......

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think Racethe........will be along with the "punchline", any............minute..............now....................
    Eyes wide open

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    have you nerver heard of "Hertz" is number one rental cars.............................Now its " VSP One " in the optical

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I'm really just curious.

Why would the various "VSP Labs" change to be "VSP One" labs.
    Enron was taken. (and also renamed)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    They are going to reduce the number of independant labs in order to "strengthen" their buying power within their own network. That was their reason for denying my lab, obviously, what was I thinking that more labs and competition would affect the market more adversly than a monopoly. Silly me....

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I think Racethe........will be along with the "punchline", any............minute..............now....................
    How about I come along with my own guess? I would suggest perhaps contacting their lab and ask. However, I would imagine based on what I have read and heard at the shows, namely VEW, they are moving away from labs because they are moving into actual technologies such as their iPad app and digital lenses....ie new technologies. "One" being the ditching of the names associated with the labs they have acquired that until now all operated under their own names. Just my guess though. I'll leave it up to you to perhaps call and ask them.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by sjoseph51 View Post
    They are going to reduce the number of independant labs in order to "strengthen" their buying power within their own network. That was their reason for denying my lab, obviously, what was I thinking that more labs and competition would affect the market more adversly than a monopoly. Silly me....
    I've said it before, the last thing this country needs is yet another lab for VSP Work. There are what, over 250 already? Location is no longer a viable issue given most do overnight delivery. We've used labs from MN to GA to OH and MI without issues.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by racethe1320 View Post
    I've said it before, the last thing this country needs is yet another lab for VSP Work. There are what, over 250 already? Location is no longer a viable issue given most do overnight delivery. We've used labs from MN to GA to OH and MI without issues.
    And that, of course, goes a long way towards supporting the region's economy, right?
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    And that, of course, goes a long way towards supporting the region's economy, right?
    I'm not sure how that's my concern. I'm in it for my regions economy but if the lab I use is elsewhere and serves my business best, then that too serves my region as I have to insure quality and that my practices stays strong.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Hostile takeover anyone?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters
    Laramy-K Optical

Occupation
    "the lab I use elsewhere.....serves my business best" the very reason my lab should be allowed to be on that list, then ANY business can try my lab, regional or otherwise, and give me the chance to serve.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    "the lab I use elsewhere.....serves my business best" the very reason my lab should be allowed to be on that list, then ANY business can try my lab, regional or otherwise, and give me the chance to serve.
    I am not even sure u want to accept VSP anymore....

Occupation
    Optometrist
    ANY office CAN try your lab. They can send you any private job correct? VSP isn't preventing your exposure to ECP's by not allowing you on their panel. Your exposure to ECP's isn't likely a factor in who they select to be a provider lab for their business.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Since the purchase of Marchon, VSP has stepped into being a vertically integrated optical provider in multiple categories, like Luxottica/Lenscrafters/Eyemad and Viva/Davis Vision/Eye Care Centers of America, we now have Marchon-Altair/VSP/VSP One . The goal inherantly is to make money at multiple points in the supply chain.

All insurance companies are vulnerable due to healthcare reform, VSP probably more than most. VSP One is just one way to make their lab business stand out a little bit more and compete and market in the supply chain more effectively. By seperating business units they can make better finacial decisions too. Its a logical business desicion, whether you agree with the verticaly integrated model or not. I don't personally, but their move makes sense on a lot of levels.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    The goal inherantly is to make money at multiple points in the supply chain.
    I've said that here before...they are buying up the parts of the industry where there were at one time weak or not a player so that they will now be more in-line and able to compete with Lux and yet not be controlled by the bigger optical players like Essilor.

All insurance companies are vulnerable due to healthcare reform, VSP probably more than most. [/QUOTE]

yes/no, they are all vulnerable as obamacare is going to eliminate all of them. in the end, obama wants everyone on his new version of medicare, make no doubt about that. VSP has the retail locations in their ECP's many of whom like me are heavy managed care through their plans. that said, I would envision them buying up the larger VSP groups and key players in key locations, spinning off their own brand to compete directly with Lux and LC on the streets. it's no different that what's happening at the medical level today where docs are working for the hospitals, clinics, groups and not for them themselves. I see this model shaping up as what I call a franchise system as it looks and smells just like one in the making.

Not all a bad thing either. Now you'd have a VSP name on your door with you still running the business but now you'd likely also have more direct access to their buying power, weight in the marketplace, etc.....no different that McDonalds vs Joes Burger and Fries. McD franchises on average pull in $2M per store vs the struggling independent that is barely 1/4 that.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Alright guys. Made a reply in the wrong format. It's been about 3 yrs since I been on this board. They say you can Edit/Delete. Where the "H" is the delete mechanism?
    Last edited by dbracer; 11-29-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    "Do not waste time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor; act as if you do." C.S. Lewis

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Reliable Optics View Post
    I am not even sure u want to accept VSP anymore....
    I'm fairly sure no one should.
    "Do not waste time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor; act as if you do." C.S. Lewis

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by dbracer View Post
    I'm fairly sure far less should.
    Fixed as there are far too many of us taking their patients and cashing their checks with a majority doing so out of one side and *****ing about them out of the other. They should remove them from the panel IMO.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fixed as there are far too many of us taking their patients and cashing their checks with a majority doing so out of one side and *****ing about them out of the other. They should remove them from the panel IMO.
    We ALL cash checks and complain about it!
    The question is if you see any profit!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    The question is if you see any profit!
    If you're not, you're doing it wrong.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Confused

If you're not, you're doing it wrong.

Then can someone please message me or email me! I have been taking VSP for 3 years now and do not see the point when it comes to dispensing frames and lenses. The only worthwhile profit I see is when doing contact lenses. I still haven't figured it out.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've said that here before...they are buying up the parts of the industry where there were at one time weak or not a player so that they will now be more in-line and able to compete with Lux and yet not be controlled by the bigger optical players like Essilor.

All insurance companies are vulnerable due to healthcare reform, VSP probably more than most.

yes/no, they are all vulnerable as obamacare is going to eliminate all of them. in the end, obama wants everyone on his new version of medicare, make no doubt about that. VSP has the retail locations in their ECP's many of whom like me are heavy managed care through their plans. that said, I would envision them buying up the larger VSP groups and key players in key locations, spinning off their own brand to compete directly with Lux and LC on the streets. it's no different that what's happening at the medical level today where docs are working for the hospitals, clinics, groups and not for them themselves. I see this model shaping up as what I call a franchise system as it looks and smells just like one in the making.

Not all a bad thing either. Now you'd have a VSP name on your door with you still running the business but now you'd likely also have more direct access to their buying power, weight in the marketplace, etc.....no different that McDonalds vs Joes Burger and Fries. McD franchises on average pull in $2M per store vs the struggling independent that is barely 1/4 that.
    There. It's all spelled out for those of you that accept this ins. Will you be one of the locations that get assimilated or will you be one that's not? Watch as they drop you and open across the street from you. Just as ECP's made Lux/Big E what they are today, you are contributing to your own demise by accepting this ins along with all the others.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    There. It's all spelled out for those of you that accept this ins. Will you be one of the locations that get assimilated or will you be one that's not? Watch as they drop you and open across the street from you. Just as ECP's made Lux/Big E what they are today, you are contributing to your own demise by accepting this ins along with all the others.
    You're interpreting what I said as if the locations would be owned by VSP and that's not likely. Why would they invest in B&M stores. What I meant is they will look to leverage a brand, thus putting those larger groups or practices that join under it. Thus you'll still be in control and ownership so no assimilation comments are necessary. Makes sense, especially given the name recognition many of the larger retail giants and mid level players have in their markets. IMO, those that try and stay mom and pop will have the more difficult time of it in the future.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I apologize that my writing style has caused confusion again race. I'm not saying or implying that VSP would open locations. I was expanding on you comment about franchising Dr locations. My point was if Vsp were to franchise locations there will be current and future locations that will be shut out. What franchisee would tolerate another franchisee within their vicinity? Vsp would need to drop some providers. If I were a current provider I would be very concerned about this unless I was a "key player in a key location".

Also, I'd like to hear how a franchisee is still independent. Would you not still have to sell franchise products to stay profitable?

Thread Information