Thread: Clear coat? Anyone know where I could get this done?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Clear coat? Anyone know where I could get this done?

Hilco used to do a really wonderful clear coat on metal frames. They don't do it any more. Does anyone know a place that will do it?

Thanks!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper a really wonderful clear coat on metal frames ..............................

Quote Originally Posted by VHB View Post

Hilco used to do a really wonderful clear coat on metal frames. They don't do it any more. Does anyone know a place that will do it?

Sorry for not having jumped into this conversation earlier. Missed this post.

You can do a clear coat yourself that is even protection against oxidation of the frame as well as against any allergies to the skin. Easy to apply.

Check it at: http://optochemicals.com/products/info_frame_protec.htm

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I already have a bottle of that, but it didn't work. This customer has three identical frames. I used the protectant on one of them right after she bought the frame and the color started peeling off within a couple of weeks. Sorry.

Occupation

I already have a bottle of that, but it didn't work. This customer has three identical frames. I used the protectant on one of them right after she bought the frame and the color started peeling off within a couple of weeks. Sorry.

You are blaming a product you applied on top of another one that did not adhere properly to its base for a delamination. Your color would have been peeling off anyhow. Pure logic.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    You are blaming a product you applied on top of another one that did not adhere properly to its base for a delamination. Your color would have been peeling off anyhow. Pure logic.
    Chris;

The way I read the post is that your product was applied to a brand new frame and it didn't work.
    Not that he put your product over the Hilco product.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are referring to Chris's product in this post, VHB...............how certain can you be, that the cause of the person's frame paint job to peel, was the product?

Could it simply be a bad/cheap paint job?
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry to confuse everyone! Chris's product went on top of a brand new frame. It is this customer's third or fourth pair of identical frames. (You know how sometimes you find the perfect frame for someone and nothing else ever looks as good? That's what happened here.) The frame had not had lenses put in yet; I coated the frame before I sent it to the lab.

Hilco quit doing clear coating many years ago. It worked really well on the frames that I sent to them. This frame was not one of those. It has never been coated with anything other than Chris's product.

@uncut: I never said Chris's product caused the frame to peel; I said it did not prevent the color from peeling. Obviously, since she's had several pairs and they all peeled, the paint process is defective.

On a related note, I sent one of the peeling frames to FrameFixers in Syracuse to be repainted and clear coated. Please see my post about that!

Occupation
    Just to clear the air. My clear coat does prevent a paint job from peeling if it does not adhere properly.

it prevents oxidation damage done by excretian of acids through the skin.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Sorry for not having jumped into this conversation earlier. Missed this post.

You can do a clear coat yourself that is even protection against oxidation of the frame as well as against any allergies to the skin. Easy to apply.

Check it at: http://optochemicals.com/products/info_frame_protec.htm

Would the clear coat work on a patient's existing frame? No paint issues, only that the portion of the metal nose pad bracket that is in contact with his skin gives him irritation.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
    Would the clear coat work on a patient's existing frame? No paint issues, only that the portion of the metal nose pad bracket that is in contact with his skin gives him irritation.
    I am quite certain that it would work fine in this scenario, to prevent any further damage.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    plasti-dip

Thread Information