Thread: Formulas or Not for the Advanced Test?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Formulas or Not for the Advanced Test?

I thought the formulas I need are given in the back of the test booklet. Then I read a post on here that they are in fact not and that I need to memorize them. Are they given or not? If they are given I can plug the numbers in where they need to go. Not sure if I can remember all those for the test though.

Also, what pics are given fot the NCLE Advanced test? How much math is on the CL test?

Thanks,
    Bob

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The formulas ARE on the back page of the AC test book. (you still need to know how to work them).

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    For the ACLRE you will need to be able to visually recognize cl-related disorders for referral to a Dr, and proper/improper fit based on fluorescein patterns. All of the math from the CLRE, especially the hard stuff.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What do you classify as "the hard stuff" on the CLRE?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by agr8194 View Post
    What do you classify as "the hard stuff" on the CLRE?
    Personally? Nothing. But most people would assume the stuff that's rated the most difficult.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the insight Optical24/7. I assume you have taken the exam since you know this. I thought I was dreaming when I found this out some time ago. After having just finished my Opticianry Degree earlier this year, most of those formulas are still permanently etched into my brain. LOL Having all the formulas I need provided is quite a blessing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't sweat the formula's too much. (As long as you know how to work them.) My test was mostly on anatomy, path, and refraction. Very little on business or govt regs. Good luck!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Don't sweat the formula's too much. (As long as you know how to work them.) My test was mostly on anatomy, path, and refraction. Very little on business or govt regs. Good luck!
    Good to hear. I'd like to have that version just because I'm not good at the accounting part of the business section. However; I do believe that I'm properly prepared. Just wait and see, and if I don't pass I'll just have to take it again.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good to hear. I'd like to have that version just because I'm not good at the accounting part of the business section. However; I do believe that I'm properly prepared. Just wait and see, and if I don't pass I'll just have to take it again.

Good attitude agr. Knowing the pass rate going in, I had my doubts about passing it too. But I knew that if I didn't pass, it would show me my weak areas to study further on. Luckily, I passed that 1st time. You sound well prepared, I'm sure you'll do well.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good attitude agr. Knowing the pass rate going in, I had my doubts about passing it too. But I knew that if I didn't pass, it would show me my weak areas to study further on. Luckily, I passed that 1st time. You sound well prepared, I'm sure you'll do well.
    What exactly is the pass rate of this exam? I'm told that here in Ohio, the pass rate for the certification exam is somewhere in the 80% range. Lower for the NCLE. The pass rate for the students completing the Opticianry program where I recieved my degree floats right around 97% for both tests. So we are well prepared for that, I feel a little unsure about studying on my own for this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The AC test has a pass rate of around 2%.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    2%?!! Wow!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey! Don't sweat it! You sound well prepared. Most (obviously) aren't!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the kind words. It took me 10 weeks to recieve the results for my certification exams I took this Spring so I'll let everyone know how they turn out. Just might be a while.

Occupation
    I have heard 5% for the ANOCE and 10% for the ACLRE. I've also heard the converse.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After having taken the test this past Sunday I would like to add that not only are the formulas on the test, but the meaning of each variable is given along with the proper units that each variable needs to be calculated in.
    There are far more equations given than needed and a more precise overview from the ABO would be wonderful. Just tell me what you want to know and I'll learn it. I had a "If 75% of the equations aren't important enough for you to test me on than why are you having me learn them?", kinda thought when finished.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After having taken the test this past Sunday I would like to add that not only are the formulas on the test, but the meaning of each variable is given along with the proper units that each variable needs to be calculated in.
    There are far more equations given than needed and a more precise overview from the ABO would be wonderful. Just tell me what you want to know and I'll learn it. I had a "If 75% of the equations aren't important enough for you to test me on than why are you having me learn them?", kinda thought when finished.

Thank you for the follow up!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very welcome.

Occupation
    "If 75% of the equations aren't important enough for you to test me on than why are you having me learn them ?", kinda thought when finished.
    Because they have multiple exams, and you, as a prospective "Advanced-Certified Optician" should know all of them. So what did you think? Do you believe you passed? You took both, right? Difficulty level?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm very positive I passed the Spec exam and not that difficult. I am really unsure about the CL test. Much more difficult for me. We're supposed to have the results by next Wednesday. After the Spec test there were 5 of us talking about the exam and it sounded like we all had the exact same questions. There were 11 of us taking that exam. I did not talk to anyone else about the CL exam other than my friend who took the test with me, it also sounded like we had many of the same questions, there were 5 of us taking that exam. I'll message you when I get my results. Thanks again for all of your help these past several weeks.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I have heard 5% for the ANOCE and 10% for the ACLRE.
    I would find it very hard to believe that the advanced ABO has a pass rate of only 5%, or any rate below 20-25%, unless random persons with no real optical background are just showing up to throw money at a test that they have no real interest in passing. The pass rate of the original Master exam, which by all accounts was considerably more difficult with a great deal more math, wasn't even that low...

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    I would find it very hard to believe that the advanced ABO has a pass rate of only 5%, or any rate below 20-25%, unless random persons with no real optical background are just showing up to throw money at a test that they have no real interest in passing. The pass rate of the original Master exam, which by all accounts was considerably more difficult with a great deal more math, wasn't even th:at low...

Best regards,
    Darryl
    I find it to seem an implausibly low percentage as well; nevertheless, these are the numbers as told to me by more than one official from ABO-NCLE. Perhaps this is a first-time pass rate and not overall?
    I would add to that, I know several extremely bright opticians who didn't pass these exams the first time out.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In '09 according to the ABO I was the 136th to pass it. And the AC test had been around for a while even then.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    In '09 according to the ABO I was the 136th to pass it. And the AC test had been around for a while even then.
    Seems like the ABO at least improved the pass rate, then. Prior to the change over to the new ABO-AC examination in 2003, I believe that there were only around 350 or so opticians certified using the original Master examination, which had been in use for 30+ years. So, 136/6 = around 23 opticians a year versus 350/30 = around 12 opticians per year.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information