Thread: Current Optician Thinking about Persuing Career as OD

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie Current Optician Thinking about Persuing Career as OD

Let me first tell you a little about myself. This is my first time posting here on OptiBoard, but I found this site while doing many, many weeks of research and have finally decided to post with my questions.

I'm originally from Pennsylvania. While there I was pursuing a career in Small Business Management. I was about 12 credits away from attaining my associate's when I moved to West Virginia with my now husband. He is working his dream profession as a professional firefighter/emt.

I put things on hold and went to look for work. I wound up working a job I never thought I would be in. I landed a job at an optometry practice with 4 different offices. They trained me in being an optician as well as a technician. I fell in love with the field. I started doing my research, but was severely disappointed when I realized where the closest schools were. The closest to me now would be in Elkins Park, PA (Salus University) and that's about 3.5 hours away. I decided to look into other options and after buying a foreclosure and getting a wonderful deal on it I obtained my Real Estate License. I did this for a year and was immensely displeased with the career. It just wasn't for me. On paper it looked great for me, but at the end of the day I just didn't enjoy it.

I went back to working small jobs and continued to look for something closer to home that paid better. Well wouldn’t you know about a month ago now I was able to get a job as an optician again and this time 20 minutes closer to my home. Not to mention I work with veterans and it is so gratifying. I've been able to talk to the optometrists there and one in particular has really made an effort to inform me and direct me.

So I did my research again and this time thoroughly. I now know what it would take for me to get where I want to be. My goal is to work where I am now or somewhere similar. I very much enjoy working with the vets and being able to help them would make my day every day.

This is where I'm at..I understand I would have to take all the prerequisite courses and finish my undergrad. I thought about switching to biology or chemistry, but I feel having my business degree along with the prerequisites for optometry school will allow me to stand out amongst the rest. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I could even see opening my own practice down the line, so I believe this would be a good route to go.

I guess that brings me to my questions.

I plan to finish my undergrad with a nearby university and then hopefully I'll be able to get in a school close enough for my husband and I to travel between. It won't be an easy 4 years away, but I know it'll better our lives and our future children’s.

***So can anyone tell me what it was like at any of the following colleges/universities? (Your experience on and off campus?)
    I plan to tour all of these, but hearing first hand is always nice.

- Pennsylvania College of Optometry
    -SUNY
    -OSU
    -Southern College of Optometry
    -The New England College of Optometry

***Also, how long did it take you to pay off your student loans (let's not add in undergrad)?

***Do optometry schools look down on any community college credits (I would be transferring, but I'm sure they would still see that I did). I maintained a 3.8 in community college and never received anything lower than a B.

***Do you see any flaws in my plan at all?

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopeful respond; I greatly appreciate it.

IDA JADE
    Last edited by idajade1124; 10-21-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You have a lot of questions. here. Certainly pursuing a career in optometry can be rewarding in many ways. I have been in practice 34 years and if I had to do it all over again, I would. My son has followed in my foot-steps and has been practicing three years now.

You have a long road ahead of you. Optometry colleges look for students with varied backgrounds, but with strong academics especially in science, and good scores on the OATs.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sorry I had to cut my first post short. I ran out of battery...
    SUNY is a very competitive school to get into, accepting only about one out of 8 or 9 applicants. Probably followed by SCO, then the others. all are good schools. While a school like PCO may be a bit easier to get in to, tuition approaches $40k per year. SUNY is more affordable, but you have to contend with living in the NYC area,

Assuming you get in, staying in school is a full time job. Class and clinic schedules will be at least 40 hours per week, not including study time. It is not something you can do easily without good family support. It would be difficult to do while trying to hold any kind of a job, or trying to raise a small family.

Loans...well it depends. I am a firm believer that you should only take loans to cover tuition, books and fees...NOT living expenses. Some grads today have over $150K of debt when they get out. Not a good place to be. But in spite of this, optometry grads have a virtually spotless repayment record...so they must be earning the bucks. Government loans give you up to 30 years to pay back...but do you really want that obligation for so long?

Over the years, Optometry has developed from an eyeglass prescribing profession, into more, including the diagnosis and treatment of most forms of eye disease short of surgery. They prescribe drugs in all 50 states. In some states, even minor surgical and laser procedures are allowed. The demand for optometric services has grown considerably because of this and because of the ageing population that needs more eyecare. Demand is expected to grow under healthcare reform as optometry takes on the role of the primary eyecare provider.

IMHO, although a few new schools have opened up in recent years, raising the number of available graduates, job prospects are still reported to be good. But you should know that some feel there is a glut of optometrists making it more competitive to earn an "easy" living.

I don't mean to lecture you about career choices, but you must choose based on what you LOVE to do. The other things, although difficult to contend with at times, tend to fall into place. Again, good luck.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No worries, thank you for both replies.

The OD here where I work has told me how cutthroat they are (SUNY), even when you get accepted. She did her residency there and enjoyed that, but could see how the environment would be pretty brutal for new students.

I've pretty much seen about a 10% addmissions rate across the board for all the schools I'm considering. That's nerve racking a bit, but I'm confident in my abilities. I've always tested well and science was always a favorite for me.

As far as living goes, for me at the moment SUNY is actually one of the better options. I have also danced for over 16 years and know many people who now live in the city who have already expressed interest in rooming with me if this all pans out. So I'm not ultra worried about the housing there.

I've always been able to manage at least a 60-80 hr work week (job and school included), I'm not saying I'll hold a full time job, but I have bartended in the past and may try to find something similar that I could do on the weekend nights (just an idea though).

Then with support, I'd have a ton of support from family and friends it'll just be a little distant. Thank goodness for skype these days. My husband and I have no plans to start a family of our own until I'm done with schooling. We're thinking early 30's so this would be a few years out of school if everything goes as planned.

As far as out of the gate finding a job. I'm not overly confident, but I've made and continue to make ties with places I'd like to work. I'd love to work at the veterans hospital I'm at now, but if that isn't an option right away the OD I worked for who got me started in the field has already expressed interest in me working with him..again if everything pans out correctly. I understand not everything goes according to plan, but I've always been a troubleshooter. I live in the DC metro area so jobs are pretty plentiful; I just hope they continue to be.

Thank you so much again and I truly believe this is something I will love doing.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I know many of the faculty and students at SUNY first hand. (I am not faculty). They are a fine bunch of people. The students are the best of the best, so it is competitive to make your mark and stay up with the rigors of academia. The environment at the school is to keep you there, not to alienate you. The only "competition" in a sense, is to pass your National Boards at the end. SUNY has a 99% pass rate on the Boards.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great to know. Thank you!

Thread Information