Thread: By Ed

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That was nice of Ed to put most of the blame on the optician instead of noting that there are different lenses made that fit different situations. There are soft and hard zones, there are ones made with different grinding techniques that soften the swim motion offen encuured with most lenses. One company started a long time ago to grind prism into the lenses to offset the swim motion that most people would get while trying to adapt to the lenses. Ed also forgot or just didn't want to bring it up is the stronger the astigmatic part of the rx the greater the swim motion. Ed also forgot to tell everyone that the stronger the add power the smaller the area of reading. So to go out and catorgorically banished all opticians with taking bad measurements it would have been helpful to give the full story instead of a haft hearted one that is sided more toward the manufacturers with a direct slap in the face toward opticians. Just my 2 cents.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I didn't read anything that wasn't factual in Ed's article. Everything you mention is exasperated by in-accurate measurements. Believe it or not, there are plenty of *opticians* out there that don't consistently take correct measurements.

If you ever worked in a wholesale lab, you'd be surprised by the amount of remakes from some accounts for simple measurement mistakes.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    That was nice of Ed to put most of the blame on the optician instead of noting that there are different lenses made that fit different situations. There are soft and hard zones, there are ones made with different grinding techniques that soften the swim motion offen encuured with most lenses. One company started a long time ago to grind prism into the lenses to offset the swim motion that most people would get while trying to adapt to the lenses. Ed also forgot or just didn't want to bring it up is the stronger the astigmatic part of the rx the greater the swim motion. Ed also forgot to tell everyone that the stronger the add power the smaller the area of reading. So to go out and catorgorically banished all opticians with taking bad measurements it would have been helpful to give the full story instead of a haft hearted one that is sided more toward the manufacturers with a direct slap in the face toward opticians. Just my 2 cents.
    It was nice of Ed to share his knowledge. I'm sure Ed understands that it is the optician's job to discuss with the patient his or her current needs. That it is the optician's job to select the proper lens and educate the patient in its proper usage. And that it is the optician's job to measure properly and ensure proper fabrication occurred. He wrote an informative article covering measurements. Perhaps in the future he can write articles informing you as to the rest of the responsibilities of an optician. I'm sure if you were to call or write to him to address your complaints, he would have a very forthcoming answer for you. But that might incur some personal risk for you and it's much safer to anonymously target public persons in a public forum.
    Last edited by Wes; 10-14-2012 at 07:44 PM.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    It was nice of Ed to share his knowledge. I'm sure Ed understands that it is the optician's job to discuss with the patient his or her current needs. That it is the optician's job to select the proper lens and educate the patient in it's proper usage. And that it is the optician's job to measure properly and ensure proper fabrication occurred. He wrote an informative article covering measurements. Perhaps in the future he can write articles informing you as to the rest of the responsibilities of an optician. I'm sure if you were to call or write to him to address your complaints, he would have a very forthcoming answer for you. But that might incur some personal risk for you and it's much safer to anonymously target public persons in a public forum.

I agree Wes! But maybe you missed the point. The point I raised was he is blaming opticians for all the mistakes without correctly asserting that there are many other aspects to correctly prescribing lenses. Now if you think it's all the opticians fault so be it. But I have seen many jobs where it's not the measurement of the PD's but the lens that was selected in accordance with there rx. Another words what lens would you use with and rx that was -2.50 -1.75 X 135 add +2.00? Personally I have used Varilux and Sola with great success on an rx that was in above said range. My only complaint with what Ed said was he did not qualify what he was saying that this is only part of the problem not the whole problem as it came across.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To optical 24/7
    I never said nothing wasn't factual but it's not always the opticians fault. If your in a chain you have to go with the lens they want. You might not agree but that's your land where you work!

Occupation
    I agree Wes! But maybe you missed the point. The point I raised was he is blaming opticians for all the mistakes without correctly asserting that there are many other aspects to correctly prescribing lenses. Now if you think it's all the opticians fault so be it. But I have seen many jobs where it's not the measurement of the PD's but the lens that was selected in accordance with there rx. Another words what lens would you use with and rx that was -2.50 -1.75 X 135 add +2.00? Personally I have used Varilux and Sola with great success on an rx that was in above said range. My only complaint with what Ed said was he did not qualify what he was saying that this is only part of the problem not the whole problem as it came across.
    I don't think I missed anything. I was pointing out the optician's other responsibilities. Above, in RED you discuss the lens that is selected or prescribed. WHO selects that lens? Does it select itself? Do you allow the consumer to select it? No. The optician selects that lens, and is therefore responsible if s/he makes those mistakes of poor lens selection. I think maybe you missed the point, and are still missing the point about who is responsible for the actions taken by an optician.

To optical 24/7
    I never said nothing wasn't factual but it's not always the opticians fault. If your in a chain you have to go with the lens they want. You might not agree but that's your land where you work!
    Regardless of where you work, it is your responsibility as an optician to make sure that you serve the patient's needs. If you can not, send them somewhere that can. That's your responsibility as an optician. I have had to do this in the past. Ask DC Optix.
    Responsibility. Get some.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ... The optician selects that lens, and is therefore responsible if s/he makes those mistakes of poor lens selection. I think maybe you missed the point, and are still missing the point about who is responsible for the actions taken by an optician.

Regardless of where you work, it is your responsibility as an optician to make sure that you serve the patient's needs. If you can not, send them somewhere that can. That's your responsibility as an optician. I have had to do this in the past. Ask DC Optix.

I'd be careful with this line of reasoning, Wes. Why? Well for one, when a "doctor" prescribes something...meds, treatments, etc.,...and the desired outcome/patient satisfaction is not achieved, "responsibility is not so clear cut. An unhappy patient often returns to the doctor and pays a co-pay. Drug insurance picks up the change in meds, if any. Would you say that the doctor is responsible the first time if no desirable outcome is achieved, particularly if the perspective is the patient's alone?

Not clear cut. Not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

I don't think I missed anything. I was pointing out the optician's other responsibilities. Above, in RED you discuss the lens that is selected or prescribed. WHO selects that lens? Does it select itself? Do you allow the consumer to select it? No. The optician selects that lens, and is therefore responsible if s/he makes those mistakes of poor lens selection. I think maybe you missed the point, and are still missing the point about who is responsible for the actions taken by an optician.

Really Wes! Get A grip. We're only making comments here, it's not life and death. WOW

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wes I've forgotten more optical then you will ever know, so please get a grip. Responsibility I have all I need thank you!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wes your vitriolic remarks are uncalled for, that's why I only come to this board once in while.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Read very carefully, you will see that he is recommending electronic measuring devices.

Occupation
    Wes your vitriolic remarks are uncalled for, that's why I only come to this board once in while.
    Pot, meet kettle. I am not the one who came out of the woodwork to anonymously start a thread solely to attack another.
    If your sole purpose in coming here is to anonymously post disparaging remarks about prominent members of the opticianry community, perhaps we'd be better off if you didn't visit.
    Wes I've forgotten more optical then you will ever know, so please get a grip. Responsibility I have all I need thank you!
    That would make it seem as if you've forgotten quite a bit; not something to brag about.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Let's all just take a deep breath and relax...

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pot, meet kettle. I am not the one who came out of the woodwork to anonymously start a thread solely to attack another.
    If your sole purpose in coming here is to anonymously post disparaging remarks about prominent members of the opticianry community, perhaps we'd be better off if you didn't visit.
    That would make it seem as if you've forgotten quite a bit; not something to brag about.

Wes bend over grab your ankles and look up! That's the way you see the world half a-s!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, that's enough.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Nice job guys, you manged to get this thread closed. Bet you are really proud of yourselves.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information