Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1823242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Strange Facts!

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Sean:

If you studied the conditions and hardships these sailors had to endure, they probably needed this and more. I think it was only last year that the Brit's discontinued the daily ration of rum on thier warships.

Chip:cheers:
    So sorry..............i did not know i needed your ok to post......these are just for fun....breaks the day up.......the next time i need a critic/cynic....... i'll be sure sure to get your approval.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    So sorry..............i did not know i needed your ok to post......these are just for fun....breaks the day up.......the next time i need a critic/cynic....... i'll be sure sure to get your approval.
    Gentlemen, please - no fighting in the war room!

For the record:
    Although the American Navy ended the rum ration on September 1, 1862, the ration continued in the Royal Navy. Toward the end of the nineteenth century temperance movements beggan to change the attitude toward drink. The days of grog slowly came to an end. On January 28, 1970 the "Great Rum Debate" took place in the House of Commons, and July 30, 1970 became "Black Tot Day," the last pipe of "Up Spirits" in the Royal Navy.
    Source: http://www.contemplator.com/history/grog.html

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    Gentlemen, please - no fighting in the war room!

For the record:Source: http://www.contemplator.com/history/grog.html
    Thanks for the intervention .............but i'd rather ask for forgiveness......than to ask for permission.:).........Not..............let'em speak for himself.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    84% of a raw apple is water.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How the Hell did I get this stirred up. It was a comment, not a criticism.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

referee

I cannot, for the life of me, see why any offense was taken by what Chip said. He simply elaborated on what was already being posted.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I didn't even realize something was stirred up til I opened this in the a.m.

so confused....granted it's a very common natural state for myself, but still.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Occupation
    Albert Einstein didn't like the new 20th century theory of QM (Quantum Mechanics).

So much so, that he coined the somewhat derisive phrase "spooky action at a distance" to describe one of QM's mathematical consequences.

Are you inclined to think that there is no process, effect or change in the physical world that takes place faster than Einstein's famous Special Relativity "speed limit" - the speed of light in a vacuum?

"Let's go quantum ..."

Spooky action at a distance: The diagram demonstrates a pair of photons that are in a state of quantum entanglement. It has been demonstrated that an observation performed on one photon - in this example, a measurement that reverses its spin polarization - instantaneously reverses the spin polarization of the other photon. Remarkably, there is credible experimental evidence to indicate that "spooky action" (i.e. quantum entanglement) has been confirmed when the photons are separated by as much as 144 kilometers - the distance between the Canary Islands of La Palma and Tenerife. Since the effect is literally instantaneous, it is also called a "superluminal" effect (i.e. faster than light).

A photon is the elemental, indivisible unit of light.

Leaving aside the most subtle aspects of QM, it is fair to say that a photon has zero mass and zero size or volume. It's been called a "point-like particle".

For more from the distinctly counterintuitive world of "Dr. Quantum", see "Landmark" experiment with light delves into mysteries of quantum physics.

Image: Toshiba Research Europe.

For the complete technical report from Toshiba Research Europe, see Improved fidelity of triggered entangled photons from single quantum dots.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 03-13-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    How the Hell did I get this stirred up. It was a comment, not a criticism.
    Chip,
    Sorry i misinterpreted what you said...please accept my apology.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    it looks like you were misunderestimated there chip!

;)
    www.opticaljedi.com

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hey Grubie.....

Mistakes happen all the time when you can't actually hear what is being said and have to rely on what you read.The title above is a case in point. Did I just say "Hey Grueby, or did I say Hey Grubby. I can see someone taking what was written the wrong way, and I think you know I would never violate posting guidelines by name calling.....so let me make this perfectly clear I meant Grewby. See ?, three seaparate spellings and three possible reactions. A mistake was acknowledged and an aplogy sent. Let's put that dog to sleep.:D
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey! Who's Grubby lookin'?

(sorry I simply could not resist the oh so obvious Star Wars reference)
    www.opticaljedi.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    In the 16th century, British sailors were allowed ten pints of beer a day for rations. :cheers:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splice_the_mainbrace
    Shwing

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In 2009, the Burj Dubai will be the tallest building in the world, but it's final height is still a secret.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    In 2009, the Burj Dubai will be the tallest building in the world, but its final height is still a secret.

The world's tallest buildings: How the Burj Dubai stacks up.

CLICK on the thumbnail to view a hi-res JPEG image. (Time; December 27, 2004.)

For the latest Strange Fact from rinselberg:
    Quantum Mechanics: "Spooky Action At A Distance"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the common cleaning chemical of ammonia gains its name from an Egyptian god....

Workers at the Temple of Ammon in ancient Egypt combined camel dung and urine collected on the temple grounds, and used it for cleaning clothes. The origin of that recipe is unclear. But the Romans called this substance sal ammoniac, the salt of Ammon. A gas, first extracted from the salt in 1782, was called ammonia
    www.opticaljedi.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The words canoe, hammock , barbecue and hurricane all come from the Arawak Indian language.

Occupation

Guinness Draught 101

Since this is St. Patrick's Day ... the next time that you find yourself contemplating a fresh pour of Guinness Draught in a pub glass, watch the bubbles carefully by looking directly through the side of the glass: Lower your head to pub glass level - or elevate the pub glass to eye level.

Bubbles always float upwards to the surface of a liquid - right? Physics 101. About two thousand and two hundred uninterrupted years of the Archimedes Principle of Buoyancy ...

The experts in such matters predict that you would actually see the bubbles sinking down to the bottom of the glass.

Using a Kodak HS4540 high-speed digital camera to capture video of bubble flow in a poured Guinness Draught. (Stanford University's Zarelab bears the name of Stanford Chemistry Professor Richard N. Zare.)

If it's a scientific explanation ye' be wantin', mouse-click your way to Do bubbles in Guinness go down? They break it all down like an NFL coaching staff prepping the football players on the new game plan: Easy-to-read text, animated diagrams and online video clips. An explanation that anyone can follow "by the numbers".

There's more Guinness lore under the post title Rocket science you can drink - including some tech notes on the Guinness widget can and widget bottle - on the Laramy-K Optical discussion forum. (I don't know whether that's good publicity for Laramy-K ... or do you subscribe to the theory that there's no such thing as bad publicity?)

The strangest Strange Fact that's ever been posted?
    Quantum Mechanics: "Spooky Action At A Distance"
    Last edited by rinselberg; 03-19-2007 at 09:28 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Iceland has the highest per capita Internet usage rate in the world, with 86 percent using the web. The U.S. is at 69 percent.

Occupation

"No shark left behind"

Sharks - not as mindless as you may think.

At Chicago's Shedd Aquarium, which displays a selection of shark species in its Wild Reef exhibit, the sharks have been trained to assist in their own care. Trainers have conditioned each shark species to recognize and respond to one of a set of species-differentiated "shark flags", which are brought into the exhibit at feeding time. Each species of shark responds only to its own flag and swims to a different part of the exhibit, which enables staff members to ensure that each shark receives the proper amount of food and check up on their health.

The flags present the sharks with simple geometric designs that the sharks can be trained to discriminate - for example, a horizontal bar for one species vs. a vertical bar for another species; etc.

http://www.sheddaquarium.org/index.html

"The Contra Rap", from impersonator Rich Little's "Ronald Reagan Slept Here" album, was aired some 26 times on Dr. Demento radio broadcasts from 1988 to 2006. Play it online at Theirs is a scandal that deserves to be told.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 03-26-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Niagara Falls is actually three sets of falls....American, Bridal Veil and Horseshoe.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Garbage disposals for use in the home were first made available in 1938.

Occupation
    When you think of the U.S. State Department, you probably think of the language of international diplomacy: Guarded, polite, understated, nuanced ... in a word, diplomatic.

But the State Department can be refreshingly candid when it comes to travel warnings.

Driving in Qatar is likened to participating in an extreme sport; drivers often maneuver erratically and at high speed, demonstrate little road discipline or courtesy, fail to turn on their headlights during hours of darkness or inclement weather, and do not use seat belts - all resulting in a high vehicular accident rate (in excess of 70,000 annually). In fact, traffic fatalities are Qatar's leading cause of death ...
    Source: https://www.osac.gov/Reports/report.cfm?contentID=62019

I did some rough calculatons. There are about 300 U.S. citizens for every citizen of Qatar. The U.S. has about six million road accidents a year, of late. So road traffic in Qatar generates about five times as many road accidents per capita, vs. the U.S.

And that warning from the State Department is relatively low-keyed, compared to some other nuggets ...

Police involvement in criminal activity is both legendary and true in Mexico ... Reporting crime is an archaic, exhausting process ... and is widely perceived to be a waste of time ...
    Driving in Egypt can be a harrowing experience and not for the faint-hearted ...
    Despite Malta’s geographic proximity to Italy, organized crime is almost nonexistent ...
    Be aware of drink prices in Croatia's gentlemen's clubs, where tourists can unknowingly run up exorbitant bar bills, sometimes in the thousands of dollars ...
    Greek police have limited ability to deter criminals and receive little support from the Greek government and even less respect from the Greek population ...
    The online travel advisory for Switzerland approaches the poetic:
    Being surrounded by the majestic, snow-covered Alps, combined with a pervasive sense of orderliness, it is understandable that travelers might forget that the city of Geneva and the adjacent cantons are not immune from crime ...
    And when it comes to Haiti, the State Department is downright philosophical:
    The tragedy of Haiti is that Haitians have become great leaders in every profession and in every country, with the exception of Haiti ...
    Of course, there's always the Travelocity version ...

"We'll be greeted as liberators by the Iraqis ..."

The Travelocity Roaming Gnome - DENOUNCER of Travel Myths

Sources:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17870454/
    http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/arc..._undiplomatic/

Will you be the first to submit a correct answer for my new OptiBoard brain teaser? Find it under Werewolf Test ...
    Last edited by rinselberg; 04-02-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr. Willy Müller invented the first automatic telephone answering machine in 1935.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fun with words;

1- BOSS: How did the "boss" get his name?
    From the fact that at one time he had complete authority over his workers and could thrash them at will. "Boss" comes from the Old High
    German bozan which means "to beat".

2- DOUBLE HEADER: What is the origin of this baseball term?
    Baseball took this from railroading. In railroading, a "double header", is a train with 2 engines on it. Hence, in baseball, a "double header" is two games on a single afternoon.

3- TAXI:
    The reason a taxi is called this? The word referred to the "meter" carried by the cab. It was called a "taximeter" because it measured the fare or "tax", and cabs boasted of the fact by painting "taximeter" ontheir doors. Soon this was shortened to taxi.

I like words....

Thread Information