Thread: went to CBS website and watched 60 minutes

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

went to CBS website and watched 60 minutes

Went to CBS website and watched the 60 minutes on Lux.

Not a hatchet job, but pretty informative to the consumer. Especially when they link eyemed to Lux and state that Lenscrafters doesn't give the consumer a break with the loss of the middleman.

What they missed was that lenscrafters was started by American Shoe. The reporter repeatedly compared her shoes to glasses.

Harry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Now that woulda' been a funny statement to make when she held up her shoe Harry!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought this was a pretty good report, and touched on some of the subjects that consumers are usually not aware of, ie. the EyeMed tie-in, and the fact that Luxottica also owns what seem to be competing outlets (Sears, Sun Glass Hut, etc). What they did not delve into was the Chinese connection. What is stamped "made in Italy" may in fact only be assembled in Italy. If CBS wants to report on vertical marketing, and control of prices in the optical industry, they should also take a long hard look at Essilor. The big "E" has gobbled up lens manufacturers, competitor's brands and technology, and independent labs.
    There will always be a segment of the public that is very impressed with brand image. Maybe they can't afford that $3000 Chanel purse, but they can get a small piece of the brand for $300 when they purchase a frame.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    did not see it, but bet the missed the hands off business approach that they take towards the sears and pearls and lenscrafters et al. Or did they mention that VSP ownes Marchon and does the same thing? As do shoe makers and car makers and dishwasher makers and and and and........................ Its business in the new world..

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    What they did not delve into was the Chinese connection. What is stamped "made in Italy" may in fact only be assembled in Italy.
    We own 7 manufacturing facilities, 5 in Italy, 2 are in China. Nothing is outsourced. Be assured, when we stamp a frame "Made in Italy" it is made in Italy... Start to finish

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rj_gonzales View Post
    We own 7 manufacturing facilities, 5 in Italy, 2 are in China. Nothing is outsourced. Be assured, when we stamp a frame "Made in Italy" it is made in Italy... Start to finish
    We = Who??

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    We = Who??
    Luxottica

I'm a sales rep for Lux. I'm also on the brand assortment committee that sees a frame from its inception to distribution

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Oops! I'll clarify. When I say Luxottica, I'm referring to Luxottica Wholesale. I can't comment on Oakley, Oliver Peoples, or any of the brands manufactured or distributed through other means.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it possible that some of the Luxottica brands that are sold in US and stamped in US as made in Italy also produced in China for different markets?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Is it possible that some of the Luxottica brands that are sold in US and stamped in US as made in Italy also produced in China for different markets?
    Absolutely. The same even has happened in the US over the last 5 years, I've seen the "same" rayban with china and Italy on it.

All frames ordered from their website are made in china, you have to actually call them to get the Made In Italy ones. Even for the same styles.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    rj, Thanks, but you must realize that you only know what they want you to know. I have toured factories in China (not yours), and have seen "Italian" frames being made.

Want to buy a "Made in Italy" stamp/press?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is a complete lie. You might work at Luxottica but obviously don't know about the operations much. I worked for Luxottica for over 11 years. 8 years overseas and 3 years in the US. Luxottica ships frame fronts from China to Italy and also ships temples for the same frame to Italy and have them enter through separate ports so they can claim it as frame part to save on customs. These parts are put together in Italy and stamped as "Made in Italy" then shipped out. I have been to Italy, Thailand, and China with Luxottica and got to see the operation first hand.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought the program was a joke. It was more of a Warby Parker marketing ad than anything. I don't understand why would they not talk to other frame manufacturers who produces high quality frames like Barton Perreira, Anne et Valentin, Theo, Alain Mikli, and so on to really understand why some frames cost more than others. Why not talk to an independent ECP and get their opinion on the subject. Warby Parker guy was a total joke, claiming they got into business because everyone was charging too much. Yeah I am sure money has nothing to do with them getting into business.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    I thought the program was a joke. It was more of a Warby Parker marketing ad than anything. I don't understand why would they not talk to other frame manufacturers who produces high quality frames like Barton Perreira, Anne et Valentin, Theo, Alain Mikli, and so on to really understand why some frames cost more than others. Why not talk to an independent ECP and get their opinion on the subject. Warby Parker guy was a total joke, claiming they got into business because everyone was charging too much. Yeah I am sure money has nothing to do with them getting into business.
    As anyone in the industry knows deep inside their bones, opticals haven't been charging too much.

They've been delivering too little.

B

Thread Information