Thread: What's your response?

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What's your response?

I realize that educating patients on why it's a bad idea to buy glasses online is all I can do. I'm wondering if you'd give some examples on how you'd respond to a patient with the following rx - first time progressive wearer - wanting to cancel his order and order online instead "because they're $300 cheaper, and they take measurements with webcams and things".

OD -4.50 -0.25 x 095
    OS -6.25 SPH
    ADD +1.75

Thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That due to the power difference between his eyes, it takes a proffessional Optician to insure accuracy in the fit and placement of a digitally produced lens.
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly, I'd tell him to try it and come see me when he has the glasses. He's going to have problems with a narrow channel lens and lack of mono pds,but sometimes people have to experience the difference.

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Kat and Java99, oft they need to come in with them not working, complaining about the money lost....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also have them call tehir optometrist to see if they recommend getting them online, nine times out of ten they'll say no and problem solved ... and also what the others said :)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks guys! He was not happy with me when I wouldn't provide his seg/panto/vertex/wrap measurements...oops Pretty sure we're having a full moon.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    That idea doesn't always work. Some of the onliners put out a product that is far superior to the mall sorts of places and as good as the small places that really try hard, even with difficult scripts like this one. The selection of frames and lenses is much broader. You can get top of the line FFs online. The only draw back is the wait, which can take up to two months.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamelina View Post
    Thanks guys! He was not happy with me when I wouldn't provide his seg/panto/vertex/wrap measurements...oops Pretty sure we're having a full moon.

Once they have made up their mind then it is difficult to change it , thats why we need to change their perception before they come in to see us not while they are in front of us . The onliners are in their face everyday when they are on their computer or device by using Google Ad Words and Ad Sense technology .

The onliners are hammering away at them based on convenience and price and by calling us bad greedy people.

WE need to respond and discredit the onliners tactics by using the same techniques BEFORE the customer gets to our store, that is what our licensing money should be accomplishing.

Every onliner ad that pops up should have a countering ad pop up from the associations and Colleges that will explain the truth and protect the public .

It s called doing the job that is mandated by a PUBLIC PROTECTOR, getting a return on our investment and nipping the problem in the bud right where it starts .

It is very difficult to stop a ball rolling down the hill as it gains momentum. Stopping it before it starts rolling is easier.

Alternately if you are in a licensed State/Province you could reply with "we will gladly give these measurements FREE directly to our licensing body and your online supplier can call them for this information" . That takes the heat off you and places it squarely in the ball court of the public protector which is exactly where the problem belongs .

All three can finally meet each other and deal directly with each other and we can shed the 'bad guy - middleman" label .
    Last edited by idispense; 10-04-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would say go get it online and remember me when your vision is not clear. :)

Thread Information