Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D Printed eye glasses the future is here folks.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    Just like everything else out there, there are different qualities/capabilities of printers out there and the final product it can create. For a $500 printer you can get something that can do blockish (think 8-16 bit) designs that can't get the fine enough resolution for some parts.. spend 10 times that and get something that can do the most intricate designs and produces a much more "finish" product.

The range of materials are expanding. Some coworkers and I were discussing the possibility to use this type of system for a sunglass line we wanted to start. I personally like the idea of combining this technology with the metal laser etching techniques out there to offer a wide variety of customization.

OptiBoard Professional gibby2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Really like

3D printer plus Epilog (or similar laser) to etch designs on frame.
    There's pent up demand to shop local/national as the consumer is tiring of offshore production.
    This would be a great way to set our business apart..
    Has anyone researched if there's a "Rapid Prototyping" Show in the western US anytime soon?
    I was surfing various websites and found there's one in Toronto in 2013 but I didnt bookmark...doh
    Looks like start-up coast are 12K for a printer and laser ...dont know about materials and servicing
    Of interest check out www.objet.com ..."biocompatible materials are available"! Materials that can be in contact with mucous mb's for up to 24hrs!! In house Custom CL's in the future??
    Wowie wow wow....
    Regards
    AA

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Is this technology something that impresses the optician more than it will the patient? To the optician it seems cool-cutting edge-DIY, maybe cut out the big L. But to the patient...who cares? They just want good style and fit for a reasonable price.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To utilize the printers, you will need to have some CAD or similar experience. Of course, there are several opensource software vendors out there, willing to help you use this type of technology. Google's Sketch up comes to mind. You can also use Adobe's Catch, which will take your pictures/designs and model them into 3D. There are several vendors willing to print on your behalf, that charge for time/materials. Ponoko is one such place that also have links to several instructables that will take you through what you need for a successful print run.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As for if this would impress the patient... I believe for a certain market it would. Whether you want to focus on applications to reduce the cost of eyewear, making one offs to help the patient, or creating custom works of art.. There is a healthy market for the use of this technology.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    As for if this would impress the patient... I believe for a certain market it would. Whether you want to focus on applications to reduce the cost of eyewear, making one offs to help the patient, or creating custom works of art.. There is a healthy market for the use of this technology.
    Absolutely yes on the one-offs.

The average frame manufacturer makes multiple tens of thousands of each frame. What if you could offer your patient a one-of-a-kind frame? What would they pay for that (and of course, I talking the high-end patients here)?

For my purposes, I see this as a way to end my dependence on the frame suppliers for specific models that only seem to be available for 6 months, then I have to run the search again for something similar. I'd far prefer to set the printer up in continuous production mode for a stock run, then reprint as needed, and always have the exact same model available, even 10 years later.

I find it interesting that Z87 frames never seem to change, the same models are available year after year, but when it comes to street frames, the models only last about 6-9 months. *le sigh*

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think this tech has the potential for broad application. We constantly have ladies come in that have been wearing a 7/28 for years and wear a petite frame but want something cute. There are far and few between. What a great opprotunity to have something custom made for them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    i think the technology is a great way to test a style for size, shape, fit (to a certain extent). basically a physical prototype. A real frame could be sourced from a willing "one-off" manufacturer, say in china. Sort of how we make custom cls. If a forward = thinking manufacturer, equipped for the purpose, would take 3d drawing files and produce one-offs using a practical to install system, it could fly i believe.Of course you need some technical know-how or an industrial designer on site to get this really going. Meh.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I am using 3-D printer to build custom clip ons and my biggest challenge is to get rid of rough edges generated by "vector lines"!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    hi Jerry,
    Custom clip ons? with hooks? Are they working out well? would you post a pic? now that is creative, cool application!

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG View Post
    I am using 3-D printer to build custom clip ons and my biggest challenge is to get rid of rough edges generated by "vector lines"!
    Based on a small amount of knowledge, I'd say that your design conversion to vector format was either incomplete or bad. Have you tried another conversion?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    There was an article about this posted today on Facebook from either Vision Monday or 20/20, you may want to check it out.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Based on a small amount of knowledge, I'd say that your design conversion to vector format was either incomplete or bad. Have you tried another conversion?
    Hi Mike, I use AutoCad to make designs and my drawing is "sealed" in blue instead of red. Red line presents broken link somewhere...in my understanding!
    THanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Someone may have said this already,... but as soon as a workable version of this software/printer is available, someone will introduce it to the Internet and the custom-fit, hands-on optician fitter aspect will be swept away.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are already several folks who have posted their 3D printed frames to assorted blog sites. Most seem to be gearing towards either replacing a broken frame, or creating a novelty one. (such as Kanye's shutter shades)

OptiBoard Apprentice NeaOptikiSA's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    At the moment 3d printed glasses are used as prototypes all over the world from Manufacturers and Designers. As far as i have seen the materials are emerging now. Till recently the materials that were able to be used are more likely junk or imagine the injection quality.

The sure bet will be when many metal materials will be able to be used, like titanium and aluminioum. The plastic that is created by these printers is not as flexible at it should be.
    Angel the Greek
    Eyewear manufacturer
    Handmade optical frames and sunglasses 100% made in Greece
    www.neaoptiki.com www.elgrecoeyewear.com

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Digging up an old thread to see what’s happening with the technology right now.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by beejay View Post
    Digging up an old thread to see what’s happening with the technology right now.
    Let sleeping dogs lie.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    From what I know, the material limitations for plastic hasn't been solved yet. They just can't make them as durable as current frames. As far as laser sintering for metal frames, yeah, it can be done, and to a good quality, but given the size, it would take a significant amount of machine time, and then it still has to be hand finished. The cost would easily be 4-5x current retail for a similar metal frame.

Give it another 5-10 years, then there might be something worth talking about.

Thread Information