Thread: Newbie Question: Reusing cut lenses

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Newbie Question: Reusing cut lenses

I am an optician in training, and I was wondering if there is anything I should keep in mind when trying to re-use cut lenses. I have already tried hand edging down to a slightly smaller frame with limited success (steady hands!). I have not yet attempted to re-cut lenses using the auto edger, as I am worried that I will mess something up. I assume that if this is advisable at all, you should try to cut to a significantly smaller frame pattern? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Retro-edging a lens is often easier to do by hand than with an auto-edger. Depending on the blocker, and the type of probes the edger uses (I've used pd sticks to "fool" the edger), it can be quite a difficult procedure, but one that often makes you a hero.

Just make sure you know exactly how much your edger is going to take off, as there are usually no second chances. On SV, we usually use our own stock blanks, instead of the POL, as it saves us much time, which equates to saving money. The patients will comment, "Wow! I know it's my lens, but it even LOOKS clearer!"
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Going smaller helps.

I have also been known to use a semi-rimless frame if their lenses are thicker to make sure fit/heights are where they need to be, or use a zyl to allow for some fudge factor for shape.

I will usually try to find the one with the most similar shape/size. I would rather reshape the eyewear than re-edge. Look for a similar bridge to assist with keeping pd's same.

Newer blockers will allow you to see the lens on a monitor with the shape on the screen. This will allow you to see if it will cut out or not. Ours will show red if it isn't cutting out completely. That being said, I also know the shape it places on screen is a bit bigger than the cut out, so if it shows it just barely won't cut out.. 99% of the time if I run with it, it will. Seeing it on the screen though allows you to look at cut out if you place segs/OCs where they should ideally be, and then if you adjust it.. see how far you would need to be "off" in order to get it to work. So if the PAL won't cut out at a 32/33 PD, and 18seg.. you can check to see how the cut out is if you adjusted pd's by one mm each eye, or if you dropped seg.. etc..
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I've done a bunch of these The lab that I worked at in Cheyenne would get 2 or 3 pairs a day like this everyday. I agree with Jubilee about using the blocker to align the lenses. I also agree with John in that a new stock lens is many times the cheapest way to go.

Thread Information