Thread: Kappa Edger door issue

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Kappa Edger door issue

I had to replace the door on my Kappa edger due to the teeth being stripped. (It's 11yrs old.) I just installed the new door, but it closes slower than it used to, but opens at regular speed. I then get the A08 code for access-door operating error. The only two things that I can think of being bad is: 1. the motor. (speed issue) or 2. The door sensor is bad. Anyone with a Kappa edger have any suggestions? I'm really backed up on my edging jobs!
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Is the door opened by a motor (rack/gear or pulley system) or by air cylinder? You might have bumped something off alignment when it was installed and now is having difficulties running normally. It's also possible the sensor was knocked out of alignment as well.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Is the door opened by a motor (rack/gear or pulley system) or by air cylinder? You might have bumped something off alignment when it was installed and now is having difficulties running normally. It's also possible the sensor was knocked out of alignment as well.
    Mike, Thanks for your reply. The door has a motor with rack/gears to open and close. The sensor has no adjustments to it. (Two screws and screw holes, no slots) The door doesn't appear to be binding, as I can push it up and down with no problems, and as it does operate normally with the motor in one direction. The new door also is identical to the old one.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check if the sensor is not bent. It should be perpendicular to the rails.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I spoke with the Essilor technician late Friday pm. It appears to be a triple whammy on the edger. The door definitely needed to be replaced, but the sensor was damaged as we found it was not perpendicular, and was loose on the circuit board. The opening and closing motor is going bad which, is why it was moving slower in one direction than the other. The tech advised that over-all, these issues are minor considering we've been running this machine for 11 yrs now. We've ordered both a sensor and motor and hope to get it Monday. I'll post the results after I install the new parts.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I installed the replacement motor, and door sensor, and the edger works perfectly. I was back up and running within 20 minutes of receiving the parts! Hope this helps anyone in the future if you have the same problem.

Thread Information