Thread: Ever advertise with Yelp? Your experience?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Confused Ever advertise with Yelp? Your experience?

Hello,

We are just starting to look into REAL advertising for the first time to get exposure and grow. We have heard and researched some horrific stories of advertising on Yelp. My first opinion is never because of the stories out there.

I currently have many all 5 star reviews on our Yelp page and lots of 5 star filtered reviews for god knows what reason (Yelp says because their system uses algorithms to determine this, well what could that be? Real people writing us real reviews? I don't get it??? Great system!). So I have done a little testing of where our store lands on the Yelp page organically. If I search for eyeglasses or eyewear under my zip code I am dead last. If I change the filter to walking or within 4 blocks, still dead last. Other shops 5 miles away from me are still pulling up first, and not advertising listings, normal listings.

So my question is has anyone ever advertised with Yelp? What was your experience? They currently have a contract for 3, 6, 12 months at about $500/monthly.

The horror stories out there say after advertising with Yelp they can change reviews, put you in last place, filter more reviews, etc. Well I don't think they are going to start writing me bad reviews but can it really get worst than it is now for us?

Obviously the thing with Yelp is the end customer probably doesn't know about all this, they are just looking for a place to shop. So is this one of things where if you can't beat em then join em?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyepeople View Post

The horror stories out there say after advertising with Yelp they can change reviews, put you in last place, filter more reviews, etc. Well I don't think they are going to start writing me bad reviews but can it really get worst than it is now for us?

Obviously the thing with Yelp is the end customer probably doesn't know about all this, they are just looking for a place to shop. So is this one of things where if you can't beat em then join em?

If you know about all of the shenanigans what makes you think that the end customer doesn't?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    If you know about all of the shenanigans what makes you think that the end customer doesn't?
    The Masses. The end customer don't know about Luxottica....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Luxottica?

I thought you were talking about Yelp and clueless "end customer"?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am. I was using that as a reference for the same clueless end customers...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now I'm the clueless end customer?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't imagine paying that kind of money for advertising that I have no control over. Just start your own website, add a blog, and do it yourself. Post your patients testimonials. Sure, the end user knows you won't put anything bad on it, but they also know that not all the bad ones on Yelp are true.

Save your money...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Now I'm the clueless end customer?
    Ha ha... I am just trying to see if anyone has had any experience using Yelp for advertising. I do not believe the masses of people out there know that Yelp "Could Be" a scam as far as reviews or for business owners are concerned. I believe they are just looking for somewhere to go with what they see as good reviews. So that just makes me think if you cant beat them then join them. I just dont know....

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yelp reviews have been good for our business, even the "bad" one(s).

I wouldn't *pay* Yelp, though.

B

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Yelp reviews have been good for our business, even the "bad" one(s).

I wouldn't *pay* Yelp, though.

B
    So I guess the next question would be if you set aside an allowance of $500 per month, which avenue of advertising would you spend it? What has been ROI or bang for your buck?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So I guess the next question would be if you set aside an allowance of $500 per month, which avenue of advertising would you spend it? What has been ROI or bang for your buck?
    Btw,i did contract with Yelpfor 12 months. A waste.

Now i am preparing to spend $500 month on a coordinated social media/website program.

Stay tuned for info and details.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello,

We are just starting to look into REAL advertising for the first time to get exposure and grow. We have heard and researched some horrific stories of advertising on Yelp. My first opinion is never because of the stories out there.

I currently have many all 5 star reviews on our Yelp page and lots of 5 star filtered reviews for god knows what reason (Yelp says because their system uses algorithms to determine this, well what could that be? Real people writing us real reviews? I don't get it??? Great system!). So I have done a little testing of where our store lands on the Yelp page organically. If I search for eyeglasses or eyewear under my zip code I am dead last. If I change the filter to walking or within 4 blocks, still dead last. Other shops 5 miles away from me are still pulling up first, and not advertising listings, normal listings.

So my question is has anyone ever advertised with Yelp? What was your experience? They currently have a contract for 3, 6, 12 months at about $500/monthly.

Welcome to the real world of economic value of virtual presence.............................(think).

Now, if Gougle wants to advertise to reach your business, they a) Place an ad on Gooople?, or b) put an ad on Boing, or C) Use a telephone solicitation computer dialer?.

Secondly if Nutflux wants to market they a) Send you a ticket to the theatre, free, or b) Coupon you for a free DVD player, or C) use direct mail targetted by your local postal system?

P.S. I have highlighted the correct answers so that the real advertising methods stand out.
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Barry, or anyone else who has paid Yelp - When you pay Yelp, how do they reach your audience? Do they have to be on Yelp, in optical area before you ad pops up?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If your "search" (yelp specific or no) points to a Yelp-based result, your ad pops up first in your *local*...whatever that is as defined by Yelp.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If your "search" (yelp specific or no) points to a Yelp-based result, your ad pops up first in your *local*...whatever that is as defined by Yelp.

B
    Thx B! Are you saying if I am doing just a regular Google search, then a Yelp ad will appear? I've never noticed that before, will look closer.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you pay Yelp, on search made by the customer your store will show up first instead of being last. Also, if you receive any bad reviews you can ask Yelp to remove it and they sure will as long as you are a paying customer for them. That's why I never rely on Yelp reviews as they can be altered. I think there are much better ways to do marketing than Yelp.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was a "paying" customer on Yelp, and ask for a "review" of a particular (I thought at the time) poor review.

They reviewed. They let it stand.

As it should be. Paying clients should NOT have additional influence on reviews, if they are to remain credible at all.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    Thx B! Are you saying if I am doing just a regular Google search, then a Yelp ad will appear? I've never noticed that before, will look closer.

NO, not an "ad". Rather, *your* listing comes up first...unless someone in your "local" is paying even more than you are, and then their listing comes up first.

Escalation rears it ugly head once again.

B

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was a "paying" customer on Yelp, and ask for a "review" of a particular (I thought at the time) poor review.

They reviewed. They let it stand.

As it should be. Paying clients should NOT have additional influence on reviews, if they are to remain credible at all.

B
    Hmm... When we received a bad review we got contacted by Yelp customer service and they asked if we want them to remove the review or keep it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    Hmm... When we received a bad review we got contacted by Yelp customer service and they asked if we want them to remove the review or keep it.

I guess YMMV. Mine was not so good.

B

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have friends that advertised with yelp and they did not get that much business from them. They also used groupon and it was way better results.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    what type of groupon deals do you recommend? It seems like just a way to advertise through your promotion but looking at some of the groupon offers in my area, I can't imagine being able to profit much off it..

Thread Information