Thread: Product Assortment Critique

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Product Assortment Critique

Hello everyone!

I'm in the (long) process of putting the final touches on a budget for a small optician run optical shop in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I'm looking to carry around 500 pieces. The balance will be either 60% ophthalmic/40% sun or 70%/30% respectively. This is the brand assormtment I have so far:

Retrosuperfuture (SUPER)
    Entourage of 7
    SALT
    OGI
    Theo
    Activist
    Eco
    Lindberg
    Cazal
    Tom Ford
    Chanel
    Jil Sander
    Gucci
    Tory Burch
    Michael Kors
    Marc Jacobs
    Ray Ban
    Carrera
    Maui Jim

Any and all feedback is welcome! Let me know what you think!
    -Johnny Cook, ABOC

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are planning to locate in the high rent part of town, right? Near an arts district?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yes--close to LSU as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And your location will have a ton of walk-by traffic too, right?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    There should be quite a bit. We are looking at a space in a new shopping center that just broke ground a few doors down from a high end specialty grocery store, Trader Joe's.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is too many lines for only 500 frames. Cut the lines in 1/2 and you will have more success IMO. You need to carry 40+ Maui Jims just to have a selection for students and profs.
    Go deep and fewer lines. People will buy what you have if they like you and the shop.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With this assortment you will also not be approved for Chanel and they are 60 pieces to open and maintain. They want luxury and other brands that are luxury; we carry Fred, Ogani, solid gold Lindberg, Maybach and custom diamond pieces yet we are still on the list to be approved for the past 7 months.

it also looks like you are missing some lower end product for the students.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    craig is right, too many vendors for a 500 piece inventory, for women's also look in to the koali line, very cool stuff, but OGA and Koali are min 18 piece buy in. ray bans will be big with college kids, maui's are awesome (i have an RX pair myself and i like them more than my top of the line specs ) try to cut down on the vendors, and make sure youhave some understock to fill holes as you sell ... good luck!!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I did know that about Chanel. I forgot it was still in my preliminary list as I copied and pasted it in. I'll be doing Persol probably. I realize that it's a large list. I do not plan on this being the final assortment--more of a rough draft. Which lower end lines do you suggest? So far I really have Eco and Ray Ban for a mid range price point. Thanks again for all of your feedback/insight.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    for a mid range we have good luck with scott harris from europa, its nice and fun looking good quality, just not a NAME name :)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I keep my vendor list to 10 and go deep into them. You might want to also look into Kala, Mattisse (hand painted and colorful) and WileyX.
    Good luck on your shop!
    I came, I saw, I left

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Retrosuperfuture (SUPER)
    Entourage of 7
    SALT
    OGI
    Theo
    Activist
    Eco
    Lindberg
    Cazal
    Tom Ford
    Chanel
    Jil Sander
    Gucci
    Tory Burch
    Michael Kors
    Marc Jacobs
    Ray Ban
    Carrera
    Maui Jim

I would not carry SALT, Cazal, Chanel, Tory Burch, and Michael Kors. Instead go heavier on the other lines. I definitely would add Kaenon to the list though, they have been very strong on the advertising (Olympic Athletes, Texas Rangers, LA Dodgers, vs) and it does help with sales a lot. People walk in and ask "Do you have Josh Hamilton's glasses". That's my personal opinion.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kat View Post
    I keep my vendor list to 10 and go deep into them. You might want to also look into Kala, Mattisse (hand painted and colorful) and WileyX.
    Good luck on your shop!
    Hmm... Wiley X really? It wouldn't go with that mixture of frames. Plus, you can buy them from Harley Davidson stores, Wal-Mart, Bass Pro Shops, Frames Direct, Ebay, Amazon, and all other online retailers as well as sporting goods stores. Why would you sell a frame line like that in your store?

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would avoid Koali...wasn't a fan of adjusting them. Although last time I worked with them was about three years ago so maybe that's changed. I love the Fysh and Kliik lines. I'm also a big fan of Fendi, Prodesign, Jhane Barnes, and Nike.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've worked with Koali and OGA from Morel in the past. I have nothing against them and I won't ultimately count them out--but they're not cheaper than the bulk of the assortment I have penciled in now. I won't be carrying WileyX. I don't think it fits the demographic I'm targeting. I do like Prodesign. I won't count them out either.

Gokhan, I plan on carrying Cazal due to the market demand for it. I'm planning on sticking to mainly the classic and vintage sun models. Why do you reccomend I not carry SALT? I've never worked in an office with them--just always admired their product.

Again, I love the feedback and insight. It's ALL welcome!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johnny, if you have a demand for Cazal then yeah definitely carry them. When it comes to SALT, I love the product myself as well however I haven't seen any store selling them easy. It's always been a tough sell for people who carry them (at least the ones I know). Also, check out Barton Perreira. I don't know if you have the market for it but the product is great. It looks great, quality is great and they fit great.

Thread Information