Thread: State Societies-How do YOU increase membership?

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

State Societies-How do YOU increase membership?

I have recently accepted the membership chairmanship of the Optician's Association of Virginia. We are looking to increase our membership. Any thoughts on how?

What has worked for your state society?

Please help me out!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Find out what the members and potential members want the society to do. The do it and let them know you are doing it.

Chip (Today's Rocket Scientist)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Cindy

It is a tough assignment but if you beleive in your society send out a letter telling people why you joined . We conducted a survey and found that convenience in education was important so we make sure that our divisions don't coincide in their education meetings throughout the year.

:cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cindy: Hate to say so but now that one can get CEC's by mail, magazine, and the web. State societies will have to offer something more than a link to a "fighting for it's own survival OAA" and an opportunity for CEC's. Hell, you may even have to come up with a way for compeditors to get along and be friends.

Tough Order,

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hell, you may even have to come up with a way for compeditors to get along and be friends.
    Then I would be a miracle worker, right? Not a membership chair!
    :D
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Cindy, When I joined the Certified Opticians Assn. of Texas in 1970, I made $60/week and the member dues was $75 a year. Our state association was a group of "independent" opticians, even seperate from those that fit contact lenses; they had their own group. We had an excellant Executive Director. We had great officers and board members, and a lot of professional pride. We "thought" that we needed to have more "numbers", so we solicited membership from those opticians who were employed by optometry and retail chains. In order to do that, we had to lower dues, lower member standards, provide educational seminars for our competitors employees. We digressed from independent professionals to technical sales clerks. So, how could we expect to maintain any margin of respect for our skills and body of knowledge, with such dilution of the profession; so, you want membership increases? make it worth something... btw, in Texas, our member dues is $65 a year, 32 yrs later. So, it's worth about as much as taking the family out to dinner, one time! My Chamber of Commerce dues is $300 a year, and I get a member directory, a little marketing in the cummunity, and knowing that I am doing something to help the community. When we think that there will be the staus quo, without us supporting our professional groups: local, state and national, then we're in for trouble.

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    Well, I do work for "the evil empire" as it's "lovingly" refered to by some here.....(thanks, guys) and quite frankly, I don't feel welcome in my state society!

I have friends in private practice & they have graciously invited me to events - when I am introduced, I get this look like "what the H*** are YOU doing here" ? (seriously, I'm not being paranoid).

I think there is a need to be open with each other so that we can learn from each other - I can learn things from those in private practice & YES, there are things that those in private practice can learn from those in retail.

We don't get notices about meetings - I only hear about it from my friend when she comes to visit.

I like to learn - I read the journals & trade magazines - I realize that this profession is highly fragmented - but I DO care about my patients (yes, I refer to them as patients) and want to provide them with great service.

Karen

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Karen,
    How does your friend get notified about meetings? If it's because she's a member, then that's one more good reason to join. I worked for the same "empire" when I decided to become active with my state association and was made to feel about as welcome as you were. Don't let that stop you, I didn't and it's paid off in many ways. Sometimes you just have to bully your way in and hang tough. The shame is that even though I notify the local LC's about meetings and events, few bother to show up.

Now back to Cindy's original question, what would bring you, the Optician not the employee, into your association?

Smilie

Judy, great point, what would bring you, "the Optician", not the employee, to an association of like professionals, what's in for you? besides CEs, etc, You see there are hundreds, no thousands, like Karen, competent, caring, trying to do their best to serve eyewear consumers, and btw, I think they are the doctor's "patient", they're the optician's "client. I'm sorry that there are state associations that make retail Opticians feel unwelcome. what I was trying to say is that the standards should be high and professional, and that members should be willing to make some sacrifice for their participation, so raise the dues, but make very welcome those willing to make the sacrifice. I think that professional self-respect went south, when we lowered standards, and lowered dues to accomodate those being grossly underpaid. it's a matter of priorities; if any of those who can't afford membership wanted to buy a seconf tv, they'd have it in a minute, I think...

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How is your state divided demographically?

Cindy, The excersise is how to increase membership.You first have to organize the effort.You can work on the "product" as you go along but you have to have a plan to begin with.

By now you have come to the realization that you can't do it alone.You will need help from each geographical area of the state.I would start by enlisting the help of someone from each area who is either, currently a member, or a PROACTIVE optician in that area.

Once you have the 'volunteers', get them together to brainstorm an approach to opticians in each area.Make it clear to all right from the git go that membership is open to ALL opticians.I think once folks see an effort they will join in.

You will be sucessful in getting competitors together, because most of them respect each other.

Keep us posted and good luck! hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I appreciate all the input I am receiving. I plan to mull over them all!

:DWe are planning regional groups and I am enlisting people to help me in the various regions.

:DWe are getting the word out that we are all inclusive.

But what I had intended to receive form this post was ideas on things that societies used that worked.

Can you help me out?
    ~Cindy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Once you get.........

Cindy,

Once you get your area reps in line, plan to have a membership meeting in each area. This will involve getting the president of the society along with as many directors as possible to participate at each meeting. The meeting should be social in nature....basically a getting to know you sort of thing. Once the folks who attend have had a chance to meet each other and the society members, a short pep talk for new members should be given by either the president or the membership chair. The plan should be to highlight the benifits of membership, and sign them up at this meeting.

It will be up to the area rep to keep this thing going after the rest of you have left town. the area groups could meet every other month, or whatever suits them. Hopefully the society has an annual meeting over a weekend, offering CE's and fellowship, where all areas can get together in a quasi social atmosphere. You won't get everyone with this approach, but you will get the ones who are interested in their future along with the future of the industry.

The most important thing you can do is to stay on top of your area people, with phone contact on a regular basis.They will tell you what hurdles they have and its up to you to help them over.

BTW congratulations on accepting the job! :D

hj
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Cindy

Optigoddess had a legitimate point in her reply. Our state society membership committee has approached management of the large chains to get their support in either (as a benefit) paying for their employees membership dues or paying for their continuing education. Anyone practicing Opticianry who should be approached and made feel welcome with invitation to meetings and membership. Have a list of reasons for joining when your committee canvasses the state.

:cheers: Jerry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

BTW.....

Cindy, one of the things that helped MA in the mid 60's was to organize the "areas" into chapters, which met on a more or less regular basis.This practice was dropped many years ago, and I think it was to the detriment of the society in its push for members.Thats why I think its important to get proactive opticians behind your effort.

hj
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Open Membership

I agree with others that all need to be invited to participate. It is important that all facets of the profession be represented to have a viable organization. I would, however, like to defend some of the trepidation at having certain sectors in attendance. Many of the chain organizations fight intensely to deregulate Opticianry altogether. I have testified at several state board hearings only to sit across from organizations like that who tell me that Opticians are nothing more than sales staff and need no license. It makes it difficult for us who have fought the good fight for many years to welcome employees of that (or any other adversarial) organization with open arms and let them know all we are doing. Those employees may be the enemy in our efforts to advance. You must prove your self a bit before being welcomed with open arms. That said, it is also imperative that Opticianry organizations recognize the need to represent all members of the profession. It is confusing and a 2-edged sword, but I stand firm in my belief that we can do far more by allowing all who call themselves Opticians into our memberships and treat them accordingly. We must meet on common ground and only then will we be back on the right track. Optigoddess feels uncomfortable and it is probably warranted, but just because she works for a chain doesn't mean she doesn't have the same feeling about the profession as you. There is a need to meet half way and start moving forward again.

Warren

Smilie

Warren, I think you stated what I was trying to say in a better way...when our association was a group of "independent" opticians, it's just that we knew who we were, Opticians. we weren't trying to be doctors, or anything else, but we also had different issues than an optician employed by an eye doctor or a retail chain. If any Optician, at any status, wants to meet the standards of the group, in CE requirements, ABOC, dues levels that ensure fiscal operation of the group, and their active participation, there should be no optician excluded. there isn't a professional assocoation at any level that benefits from "low, affordable dues". If it costs less to belong than dinner out, it must not be worth much, wrong. but every national and state association has membership and financial problems.."oh, we can't raise dues, it'll run folks off, they can't afford it"...that's because the dues are "too low", the commitment level too slight, and the expectations too high. they don't have a clear idea of what their financial commitment is getting and preserving for them. it costs a lot of money to hold up "our side of the fence". OD and MD organizations spend lots of money lobbying to do away with the prescription release regulations, what happens if we no longer have an organization to fight that? See, if you work for an OD or MD, you might think that's good! your office "capture rate goes, pts can't go down the street to xxz optical, they're "locked in". OK, then the Dr. really doesn't need an ABOC, they just need a sales clerk to fill out the order form! So, where does leave you? can you see that OPTICIANS need to stick together, be better educated, be certified, take all the ce's possible, be an asset whereever you might be, but have a goal to be "independent", run your own show, sell what you want, share in your shops profits. so, I'm a bit crazy, but i've had my shop for 25 years now, and it is so wonderful! My brother had a shop for the last 12 years, it was "just him", but he made it all happen, every day. there's great satisfaction in that...that's not for every body, but every body should have the "right" to do it, if they so desire!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    "It makes it difficult for us who have fought the good fight for many years to welcome employees of that (or any other adversarial) organization with open arms and let them know all we are doing. Those employees may be the enemy in our efforts to advance."

This is where I become very FRUSTRATED. We are Opticians first and employee's or owners second. It is this very mentality that keeps us from becoming an organized group of professionals that stand together to maintain our rights for the well being of the public. It's OK to dislike the big chain stores that have hurt the independent Optician but don't misdirect the anger to an otherwise qualified Optician that passed the same State Boards as we did.
    Our potential is huge but it is our unity that is lacking!
    Welcome aboard Cindi! I will stand proudly beside you!
    Robert Flippin

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Reading always helps

Lab Rep
    If you had thoroughly read my post you would have found that I support her as well. It was not Cindi who felt unwelcome, but Optigoddess. I merely pointed out to her that there are reasons for the ambiguity and distrust between the segments of the profession that people should recognize. I support an open membership scheme for all Opticians as I stated in my post and don't want someone to take a small segment of that post to misdirect its meaning. I appreciate your support of all Opticians and encourage others to do the same.
    Warren

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Please accept my apologies for unfairly jumping to conclusions about your post. I am passionate about the unity of Opticians if sometimes not to bright in the process. Sorry.
    Robert

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Lab Rep

You said:
    Those employees may be the enemy in our efforts to advance."
    These people work for the "enemies" that keep us from advancing, they are not the problem. Their employers are the problem. We need to reach out to the employees in these chains and tell them we support them and welcome them. Chains aren't going away.

Jerry:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Come on people! I was explaining to someone why sometimes we are reluctant to readily welcome someone new into our midst. It was hypothetical in nature and meant to simply explain why in years past when the majority of us were independents, welcoming in a person who worked for a chain was viewed as "risky". What I was attempting to say was the same thing many others have said, probably just not as well. If you read my post completely then you will see that I support strongly allowing all segments of the profession into our memberships! Taking one small section and highlighting it serves only to change the meaning. I wanted to clarify.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Warren

I agree with your position on inviting all that are opticians into our 'Opticianry Organizations'. My reference was to the quote pulled out by Lab Rep and hoping that anyone skimming through would get the idea that all are welcome as you pointed out.

:D Jerry

Thread Information