Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: To Be Inked.....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue To Be Inked.....

Okay, So not the normal topic we discuss here about Optics, but on a different level of a part of our professionalism of our "appearance"

Tattoos

Now I for one am a Tattooed and Pierced Optician (Male) and employed. Many of the techs (Ladies) are also Tattooed with, one or multiple of ankle, shoulder, lower back, and foot Tattoos. In our office we are asked to "Cover any and all Tattoos at all times for the "Professional" appearance." My current Tattoos are fully covered by clothing and can't see the light of day without removing clothing ..... You are welcome ..... and many can not tell or would ever know unless told. The ladies of the office, when ever they cross their legs, or lean over, or wear open footwear their Tattoos show. Now there have been next to zero complaints of their Tattoos showing by either other employees or patients. When they have been seen, more often then not, the ladies are asked about them, and that's the end of it.

Now My next 2 that I have planned will be on my forearms, and I do naturally wear long sleeves shirts with the cuffs rolled up just above my wrist as that there are no pre-made shirts that fit my long arms and it is just easier to roll them up then have the "Short Shirt" fit. Now as I reach for thing high and low the sleeves tend to slide up and may reveal a small part of the Tattoos I have planned. Now there is nothing vulgar to my newly designed Tattoos, in fact they are Optical and Eye Industry designed to show my devotion to my field.

My main thought of this post is,

How do you feel about a "Professional" when you see the edge of or full sight of a Tattoo?
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, my oldest daughter proudly displays her ink. She's an unemployed bartenter. My middle daughter's ink is covered by her business attire and most of her casual attire. She's an attorney. My son's ink is only visible on one foot. He's a small business owner and all-star cheer coach.

My problem is that I am often so distracted by the ink that I can't concentrate on the conversation at hand.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i take no issue with tattoos and have one myself, and had my nose pierced at one point. i was livid when i was told to keep a job i would have to take my nose piercing out, mind you it was a super tiny silver ball, that most people didnt notice, and they didn't ask me to remove it until i had been there all six months and someone finally did notice it. my tattoo is not visible to the public but i'm planning on one or two that are. I think that people need to look beyond the tattoos and focus on someones personality. I would have zero issue with an attorney with tattoos if i felt like they would kick a$$ in the court room, who says we all need to be cut from the same box anyway? I think that a lot of companies will start feeling this way with the newer generation entering the work force. I say that like i'm not 26 and pretty much part of it. We have to wear skirts in our office and a lot of our women have visible tattoos and no one usually takes issue with it. and most of our clientele is of retirement age.

For gods sake theyre making suits with skinny cut pants now, i don't think a little ink will hurt ANYONE!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think a lot of it depends on your client base. Almost all of it, really. In a college town, next to an Apple store and a record store, show all the ink you want. If you're helping anyone 45+ and you take Medicare, think long and hard.

My tattoos are covered with clothing and long hair. My ears are pierced 3x each and I do wear all my earrings, small studs in each, and that has never raised comment with customers or former employers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just remember, it's not what I think or any of the rest of us for that matter. What counts is who writes your check and what they think. And your patients, what they think matters as well. They may not say anything, but will certainly have an opinion if asked.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    I think a lot of it depends on your client base. Almost all of it, really. In a college town, next to an Apple store and a record store, show all the ink you want. If you're helping anyone 45+ and you take Medicare, think long and hard.
    Totally agree. Tatoos are akin to pony tails and Mohawks. I've known plenty of nice people who sport them, but you have to admit they often carry a certain pre-concieved notion

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    Totally agree. Tatoos are akin to pony tails and Mohawks. I've known plenty of nice people who sport them, but you have to admit they often carry a certain pre-concieved notion
    Yes, and if you want to leave the college town, and get a job in a conservative village, you can always shave your head. On the other hand, that tattoo of the bony fingers reaching up your neck towards your ear may limit your opportunities.

When I advertise for employees, I tell prospective applicants to not even bother applying if they have excessive piercings, or visible tattoos. I want the focus to be on what I'm selling, not on the employees body art.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We never allow employees to show their tattoos in office. This is the basic rule long before. Personally I will question someone's expertise if saw they have tattoos. Sorry to be offensive but this is the real thinking of mine.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Tattoos.............................

Quote Originally Posted by wearegood View Post

We never allow employees to show their tattoos in office. This is the basic rule long before. Personally I will question someone's expertise if saw they have tattoos. Sorry to be offensive but this is the real thinking of mine.
    There used to be times when wearing tatoos was offensive as was discount opticals, today it seems to be the other way around,

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    There used to be times when wearing tatoos was offensive as was discount opticals, today it seems to be the other way around,
    I still find discount opticals offensive.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I tend to think that someone who has a face tattoo can't have a very professional job. Who would hire them ?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Tats are the new facial hair.

Yes, let's discriminate against that guy/gal who has a sleeve (full arm ink) just because "my patients won't like it" despite the fact that this person was the highest scoring student in his/her opticianry school.

Yes, let's discriminate against that guy/gal who has multiple piercings just because "I find it offensive".

Come on people. Stop and think about what you are saying/doing here. Why can't we all just get along with each other and judge people on their merits and knowledge instead of the way they look?

(with apologies to Dr. Martin Luther King)

I have a dream that people will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by ink on their skin or by the number of their piercings but by the content of their character.

Personally speaking, I'd far rather have someone skilled at what they do who was covered in tats and piercings than someone who hadn't a clue as to what they were doing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wearegood View Post
    Well it's not intentional that most Tattoos are seen here. It's not as if we walk around in no sleeve, belly button shirt while wearing short pants. They just tend to slip and are shown on accident.
    So you just have a problem in general with people whom have Tattoos?

You are entitled to your own opinion and all. But would you refuse treatment from ER staff and Doctors with Tattoos if your life was on the line because you "question their expertise"?

Just remember, the difference between people with Tattoos and people without Tattoos. Tattooed people don't care that you don't have a Tattoo.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Tats are the new facial hair.

Yes, let's discriminate against that guy/gal who has a sleeve (full arm ink) just because "my patients won't like it" despite the fact that this person was the highest scoring student in his/her opticianry school.

Yes, let's discriminate against that guy/gal who has multiple piercings just because "I find it offensive".

Come on people. Stop and think about what you are saying/doing here. Why can't we all just get along with each other and judge people on their merits and knowledge instead of the way they look?

(with apologies to Dr. Martin Luther King)

I have a dream that people will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by ink on their skin or by the number of their piercings but by the content of their character.

Personally speaking, I'd far rather have someone skilled at what they do who was covered in tats and piercings than someone who hadn't a clue as to what they were doing.
    Well Said!!!!!
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a cross/Cleft tattoo on my left wrist, to show my love of worshiping God through music. I am currently looking for work, but never have had anyone say we can't hire you because of the tattoo or where it is placed. On the other hand, they may not hire me because of it and I wouldn't know. But I have it to show my faith in God and it is to him I will trust to put me in the right position. Amen Sisters and Brothers. P.S. Im 53 years young and got it two years ago.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While lunching at a national 24-hour diner chain, a young woman came in to apply for a job. She was dressed in scrubs, probably from an office in the medical building nearby, quite well groomed and polite. The manager was obviously impressed, until they shook hands. The young woman had tattoos on her hands. After she left, I heard the manager remark that she couldn't hire anyone with tattoos on their hands. Other areas didn't seem to be a problem, but they drew the line at hands. Just sayin'.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think if it's that much of an issue with your job, you should just find shirts that fit better.

My response to the "Can't we all just get along" talk: Keep dreaming, it ain't gonna happen. We all judge. It's wrong, it hurts, but it's reality. I think we have a few more generations before the more 'taboo' body decorations become acceptable in mainstream jobs. We can't even get over the prejudices of race, religion or sex. It's gonna be a long time before we get over ink and body piercings.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Let's not kid ourselves: people get tattoos because they want others to see them. I have no tattoos or piercings. They are an invitation to be passed over for serious opportunities.

Regarding hiring for a professional position or one that works with the public:
    I would not hire anyone with tattoos that could not be covered by business attire.
    As far as piercings go, small inconspicuous earrings for females only. Professionals do not have faces full of metal.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have some tattoos, yet get very annoyed with people who complain about the discrimination they feel because of their own tattoos. We live in a society where appearance plays a major role in perception of character. Tattoos are a choice. When I hear a tattoed person get all ****** off because they couldn't get a job at the local pet store because of their neck tattoo, my response is this; You chose to get that tattoo on your neck. It's the same as if you went to apply for a job at a daycare with 'a F*** The Police' t-shirt on. You chose to wear that shirt. You chose to get that tattoo. As adults, we all need to be held responsible for our own actions, and expect the consequences. Someone with a swastika tattooed on their forehead needs to give up on their dream of being a Justice of The Supreme Court. It's not discrimination. It's a civilized society, with a moral code of conduct. Go ahead and be rebellious. Please, by all means express yourself. But don't act all hurt when some people are offended by your choices.
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have 1 tat, covered, no piercings. A couple of the ladies in the office have visable ankle and foot tats, and no one seems to care. I was going to get another on my calf, but because I work in shorts in the summer, have hesitated.

When interviewing, I do have a problem with facial piercings and have skipped over people with even a little nose piercing. Just not my thing.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by vcom View Post
    I have some tattoos, yet get very annoyed with people who complain about the discrimination they feel because of their own tattoos. We live in a society where appearance plays a major role in perception of character. Tattoos are a choice. When I hear a tattoed person get all ****** off because they couldn't get a job at the local pet store because of their neck tattoo, my response is this; You chose to get that tattoo on your neck. It's the same as if you went to apply for a job at a daycare with 'a F*** The Police' t-shirt on. You chose to wear that shirt. You chose to get that tattoo. As adults, we all need to be held responsible for our own actions, and expect the consequences. Someone with a swastika tattooed on their forehead needs to give up on their dream of being a Justice of The Supreme Court. It's not discrimination. It's a civilized society, with a moral code of conduct. Go ahead and be rebellious. Please, by all means express yourself. But don't act all hurt when some people are offended by your choices.
    The ONLY thing I question in your statement is this: "It's a civilized society, with a moral code of conduct."

Straight out of the Republican fact book, in fact, I'll bet if I looked hard enough, either Rush Limburger or one of his cohorts probably said it.

There is no such thing as a "moral code of conduct". If there was, discrimination of ANY KIND would not exist. The only reason that people with long hair, tat's, and piercings are allowed to be discriminated against in word and deed is because it hasn't been made illegal (yet).

If you want to live by a so-called "moral code of conduct", stop swearing (or using *** to indicate a swear word). Stop judging other people on how they appear. Behave in a proper moral manner. Act in a moral manner. Speak and write in a moral manner. None of which you have done in your post.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whoa...we seem to have struck a nerve here. It's time to dial it back before things get ugly.
    Personal choices are personal choices.
    Employers and business owners get to make reasonable rules governing their businesses. That's their choice to make.
    We can all disagree with each other, but in the long run, vcom is correct.
    We are responible for the choices we make.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    When interviewing, I do have a problem with facial piercings and have skipped over people with even a little nose piercing. Just not my thing.
    Facial piercings are one of those things for me that i'm back and forth on, i had a nose piercing, i worked in multiple professional settings with it and was never questioned or had it brought up until i started a bartending job a few years ago and even they took a long time to notice. I've also seen people with tongue and eyebrow piercings in professional settings. I feel as long as you can keep it tasteful and not ridiculous (i.e. crazy colors, dangly things, giant gauges in your earlobes) you can make it look "nice." Mine was never anything more than a small silver ball or a diamond. i wore crazier earrings than that and didn't have an issue. my 80 year old incredibly conservative christian grandmother told me it made me look cute :) however she still doesn't know about my tattoo haha

I also feel like they arent something i would hire someone with if they went overboard, if they had nose eyebrow lebre lip and the monroe, i would probably tell them to seek employment elsewhere. but a small one isn't anything to get too worked up about for me :)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not judging people at all. I just don't want to hear people who put themselves in a position where they are more likely to offend others, complain about the reaction they get. And we do live with a moral code of conduct. We can all agree on certain things being more potentially offensive than others. If I died my hair pink, it would be slightly shocking, but not that offensive, however I would have to expect some sort of reaction. If I stood outside an aids clinic with a 3 word sign stating what I beleived to be God's negative opinion of the patients of that clinic, it would be very shocking, it would be offensive to many, and I would have to expect a serious reaction. That is my point. I don't want to hear people complain about the reaction they get, when they do something that encites a reaction. Stop whining. You made a choice you knew might be shocking at the time. That's kind of the point. Let's remember the cool thing about civilization is it can evolve. There was a time when a woman showing her belly button at the beach was shocking and offensive. But she chose to show her belly button, knowing full well how people would react at the time. I'm all for freedoms and choices and community and working together for a better tomorrow. Just sick of the whining. Own up to your choices. (Can you tell I have 2 teenagers?)
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The minute we start using a so-called "moral code of conduct" to judge others is the minute we have all lost our personal freedom, especially when that "moral code of conduct" is forced upon us by others and we have no say in it.

Yes, it's touched a nerve. And it should touch EVERYONES nerve. If you don't speak out against this kind of thing, we are doomed to repeat the past. The "moral code of conduct" is responsible for such things as demanding transvaginal ultrasounds before abortion. The "moral code of conduct" is responsible for the far right-wing tea-baggers in the Repugnant Party being against so-called "gay marriage". Yep, it's touched a nerve.

Thread Information