Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: To Be Inked.....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Judy: They are shooting themselves. How many places hire tattoo'd or pierced people over those without same. Same goes for ponytails on men, two applicants, same qualifications who do you want meeting your bread an butter public?

Tell me you have ever seen anyone whose appearance was enhanced by tattoo's or piercings.

Chip
    Oh chip, you know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I'm not sure why this is even an issue. Tattoo's are not appropriate in a professional setting in 2012. Maybe they will be in 20 years. Neither are weird piercings, slutty clothes, or pink hair. If that's your bag, go work at an artsy fartsy job. I think it's fair to say that being offended by having to follow social norms while in a "professional' setting is unreasonable. There's a big difference between being prejudiced against those who look different and not allowing a tattoo in the workplace.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip
    How many places hire tattoo'd or pierced people over those without same.
    Chip, Be sure to post your sign saying "long haired freaky people need not apply."

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tell me you have ever seen anyone whose appearance was enhanced by tattoo's or piercings.

Chip

I sure have!

Cancer patients, burn victims, immune disease sufferers, etc!

Cosmetic tattooing has been a life saver for some suffering souls!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This thread makes me think about the show=Taboo!

What may be the norm for some may be totally taboo for others!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have any piercings or tattoos and don't want any. That's a personal choice. But I know too many quality people with them to make generalizations.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optilady: One may discriminate against anything other than race, age, gender, national origion or religion. One may refuse to hire on appearance unless it fits into one of the above . One may even refuse to serve customers as long as the above guidelines are observed. Many resturants have won cases both in hiring and serving based on appearance and attire.

Don't have trouble with prosthetics (for God's sake I am in this business) or tattoos to compensate for deformities (although I haven't known tatooing to help this) but in most cases tattoos and piercings are the deformity.

Did you know that people with two or more tattoos are four times more likely to committ suicide? This in itself would link them to some form of mental instability.

Chip

End of anything else I have to say on this silly subject.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    Chip, Be sure to post your sign saying "long haired freaky people need not apply."

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Chip if you had that sign, I would shop in your practice. I don't like long haired freaky types. I'm with you this time, Chip.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
    What if you saw an Armed Optician/Doctor? Would you feel safe or scared?
    My feelings about firearms have changed since I moved to the South. My Drs. both have conceal to carry permits but I've never seen a firearm on their person at work or in a social situation. My father in law and his wife both carry weapons but they keep them concealed. I think visible weapons are tacky truthfully. I know many responsible gun owners but none of them feel the need to parade around with an open holster looking like a big deal. "It's for protection" needs to be followed by "protecting my ego".

As for the original thread intent, tattoos are great...for someone other than myself. I've never been all that enamoured. It just isn't me. I do have several tattooed friends and they are all mostly service industry folks.

I think that when people get "dark" tattoos that involve skulls, devils, blood, etc, they invite people to think that they dangerous and not to be trusted. I know this is silly because I have friends who have "dark" tattoos and they are absolute teddy bears. I know this but Joe Shmoe may not. We judge people everyday on the basis of their looks. Anyone who says different is lying. I catch myself doing it all the time and I have to remind myself that its not fair. A business owner has a responsiblity to his prospective clients- he or she needs to be able to offer a service person who has wide appeal. Unfortunately in this day and age tattoed folks are still misaligned solely because of their body art. A pragmatic business owner is going to understand this even if he or she is okay with body alterations/art. It's all about customer flow and money really.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Ponytails on men unacceptable???

Sheesh, Chip.

*speechless*

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile this thread is on the way to the thread cemetary ....................................

I have the feeling that this thread is on the way to the thread cemetary like every other one when the insults start flying.

Its all about a fad. Many people go the the plastic surgeon to restore old beauty and others have the natural beauty inked over, all a matter of taste and even more so money. There will never be an agreement on this subject. Amen.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Oh chip, you know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I'm not sure why this is even an issue. Tattoo's are not appropriate in a professional setting in 2012. Maybe they will be in 20 years. Neither are weird piercings, slutty clothes, or pink hair. If that's your bag, go work at an artsy fartsy job. I think it's fair to say that being offended by having to follow social norms while in a "professional' setting is unreasonable. There's a big difference between being prejudiced against those who look different and not allowing a tattoo in the workplace.
    I have to mention most high-end frame reps are tattooed. They have no problem finding a job and their employer can care less as long as their numbers are up.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    I have to mention most high-end frame reps are tattooed. They have no problem finding a job and their employer can care less as long as their numbers are up.
    A high end frame rep could be considered to be in the fashion industry as much as the optical industry, where rules change. They're also not dealing with the general public in a retail setting.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, according to a few people on this thread so far, I'm probably the most unprofessional person here. My entire back is done, I gauge my ears (not large, but you can definitely see through them) and have had a range of different hair colors. I'm also the most requested-by-name person in our office. Most of our clientell are 50+, and we are in a very blue colar town (directly across the river from Detroit). People will judge you no matter what you do, but if you're going to judge me purely on my appearance without taking my skills in to account, then it's your loss. It's certainly been to the gain of my current employers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While it's all fine and good to be smug and even a bit self-important on our decision to (or not to) be tattooed, it is a personal choice. There is no right or wrong. But it is also a personal choice of the clientele who decide to (or not to) patronize your establishment due to their perception of the way you look. If you're doing SO well that you can afford to be selective and indeed knowingly turn off potential patients who for whatever their own feelings and reasoning may prefer to spend their money in a shop that allows tattoos - then good for you. You're in the extreme minority, and that's quite a feat. Most small business owners however aren't likely to enjoy that same level of financial comfort. And their choice to hire a staff that appeals to the largest general cross section of the eye wear consuming public certainly cannot be viewed as anything less than simply pragmatic.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Where is the "taste" in a tattoo?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you ever have anyone walk out of your office because none of your employees have tattoos?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Has anyone ever seen......................................

Has anyone ever seen a tatoo on a picture of any US President, or Canadian Prime Minister or any higher up elected world leader ?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No but I am sure there are some in the Pacific and the Far East, Probably some in South America. Probably if any Holocaust survivors went on to be politicians in Israel or the U.S. they had that little tattoo on the inside of thier arms.

Chip

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    In my entire time on this board, I've only blocked one person. I guess I now have to add another.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would never get a tattoo and think most of the time they are ugly but they are so common now I don't give most of them a second thought unless it's on the neck or hands. To each their own.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Probably if any Holocaust survivors went on to be politicians in Israel or the U.S. they had that little tattoo on the inside of thier arms.

Chip
    What does this have to do with a discussion on voluntary tattoos?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Apprentice NeaOptikiSA's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    in US i notice that tattoos are more offen in public view. Maybe because i visited Las Vegas the tattoos are more offensive in such a place! Same in our islands where the tourists are many. But can a tattoo inspire the person you have opposite you in a scientific way? Optical industry is about health therefore everyone's mind goes to doctors, high level education and most of all scientific appeal. If i was going to choose for my eyes health i would choose the non tattoo person. If i was going to choose the best cocktail then i would choose from the tattooed person (especially woman)!

In my shops in Greece the tattoos are not allowed but generally we do not have many people be inked. Also we force them to wear a doctor's robe, in order to increase the scientific profile of the person who serves the consumers. Thats a good issue to comment on it! Do you use white robe in optical stores? In Greece is more often to see it.
    Angel the Greek
    Eyewear manufacturer
    Handmade optical frames and sunglasses 100% made in Greece
    www.neaoptiki.com www.elgrecoeyewear.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCrafter View Post
    Ok, I want the tattoo peeps to be honest here.

Any tattoo regrets?
    #1: You know, this made me remember a couple of tattoos I got, several years ago....I've obviously blocked it out of my mind, because it was EXTREMELY painful!!! I had eyeliner tattooed on....holy guacamole!!! The process wasn't overly painful, it was a little stressful once she started and I got to thinking, "ummm, high speed needle at lash line....I sure hope she has a steady hand!" The healing stage was the painful part! My lids were sooo swollen, looked like I had 2 dang grub-worms resting on my lids! (yikes!) I had a light color lip liner tattooed on as well, they did a dental block on me for that one, funny thing is there was one little place on my lip that would not get numb....so she'd be "buzzing" along and hit that spot and I'd see stars. I can't say I regret those tattoos, because they aren't permanent unless you maintain them, but I would not do it again....1. They hurt! 2. They need lots of maintenance 3. The light pigments (like they used for my lips) will turn dark when exposed to sunlight...and unlike "Transmission" lenses, the color doesn't lighten when you come back in! and 4. $$$too pricey$$$

#2: And of course, as much as I like my little $5 tattoo on my shoulder, I regret that I didn't go to a good parlor, spend a little more money and get a decent tattoo.

Other than those two things, nope, no regrets!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    End of anything else I have to say on this silly subject.

Promise?
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Thought I'd throw this into the mix:

http://failblog.cheezburger.com/ugliesttattoos

Thread Information