Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: To Be Inked.....

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'd rather invest in weapons and ammo.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    *le sigh*

we might just need them come November...but that's a discussion for another time and place.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For everyone who thinks it's the employer themselves who are against tattoos...think about who employs the employer, and how they would feel about body art. That's where the rules originate.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A funny one I saw was a Asian girl I worked with back in the day had me take her to have Kirmet The Frog put on her right butt cheek. Placed so that he seemed as if he was peeking out the band of her panties/bathing suit. She had the most fun with that where ever she went.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe it all comes down to the area you work in. If you have an older clientele I would say just make sure your tattoo's are covered up. But if you're in a more liberal area than everything should be kosher. Luckily I have both clientele coming in my store. And the elderly that come in really love me, lip piercing and all. What can I say? I got charm ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Okay, How about "Armed Opticians" ..... and I don't mean the Left and Right Kind, lol.

What if you saw an Armed Optician/Doctor? Would you feel safe or scared?
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jmchapman View Post
    I believe it all comes down to the area you work in. If you have an older clientele I would say just make sure your tattoo's are covered up. But if you're in a more liberal area than everything should be kosher. Luckily I have both clientele coming in my store. And the elderly that come in really love me, lip piercing and all. What can I say? I got charm ;)
    Same here, they find my toung ring facinating
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
    Awesome. Legally armed citizens are a nice deterrent to/preventer of crime.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Awesome. Legally armed citizens are a nice deterrent to/preventer of crime.
    True that..... but then you get people who "Have a moment" and then BAM, something goes horriably wrong.

Just the other day here locally: After a young man and his father got into a fight, the young man went for a drive and in his own words "Just wanted to shoot someone" and at the next red light he shot a man on a motercycle in the back and arm. And he was "Legally" armed and is now charged with attempted murder after turning himself in an hour after shooting the man.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    True that..... but then you get people who "Have a moment" and then BAM, something goes horriably wrong.

Just the other day here locally: After a young man and his father got into a fight, the young man went for a drive and in his own words "Just wanted to shoot someone" and at the next red light he shot a man on a motercycle in the back and arm. And he was "Legally" armed and is now charged with attempted murder after turning himself in an hour after shooting the man.
    And I would prefer to be armed when a nutjob like that decides to "have a moment".

Gun-banners don't live in reality. They compare our gun-related deaths to European countries, but Europe was settled long before the invention of firearms. America was settled by use of the firearm. Guns are everywhere here. Law abiding citizens have them and criminals have them. If they are outlawed, guess what? The criminals arent going to turn theirs in. Chicago and D.C have the most stringent gun-control laws of any major U.S. cities. Google "Chicago gun violence" and you'll see that they're averaging 40-50 deaths by gun a week. The criminals are bolder because they know the general populace is not armed.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No wonder opticianry as an independent profitable profession is dying.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We're shooting them???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...America was settled by use of the firearm...
    The Native American population didn't really stand a chance did they. Go USA!

As far as the original question of whether or not showing ink is appropriate in your given office - despite all of the peer to peer support you see here in favor of "do whatever you want, and don't let the MAN hold you down!" - there is reality. And that reality clearly points to one very simple fact: Your consumer dictates what is appropriate. If you aren't self-employed, your employer has every right to employ who they deem as qualified, including the appearance of their staff as a measure of qualification.

It is obvious that as a nation, our society is slowly becoming more liberal and open as time marches on. But that doesn't mean that, as others have pointed out several times earlier in this thread, that everyone will agree with you, simply because you think they should. The fact is, not everyone appreciates tattoos. And there is a stigma associated with them in the mind of many. They are likely to be kind enough not to be so bruff as to tell you directly, but they may never spend money with your shop either. The reality remains that if someone doesn't like the look of you for whatever reason, right or wrong, they won't be back. And their friends and family may not either.

Can you afford to live without those customers as your business grows? If you're an owner - you have to make that call. Your image is everything. Skill can only be shown after the initial impression has long since been made.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I owned an optical business for many years and did not hire anyone with visible tatoos or piercings.Do what ever you like but if I'm paying the bill,your not working for me.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Okay, How about "Armed Opticians" ..... and I don't mean the Left and Right Kind, lol.

It's almost as scary as armed postal workers. Can you imagine this guy armed:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by himmeroo View Post
    I owned an optical business for many years and did not hire anyone with visible tatoos or piercings.Do what ever you like but if I'm paying the bill,your not working for me.
    What about even non-visiable Tattoos and you knew they had them. Would you still not hire them?
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post

Oh yeah, I remember this guy, he was just nuts
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post

Looks like he was gonna tattoo someone's face!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by himmeroo View Post
    Im a bit stiff and old fashion I know that but that is what life has afforded me and the time frame I grew up in.

Keep your tats covered while on my clock and representing my office. I dont even care if you have piercings of the eye brow, tounge, lip, nose just keep the equiptment out of those while representing my office. If your going to stretch your earlobe out of shape you better figure how to cover that up also if you are going to represent my office.

I could not imiagine laying on the gurney in the ER and wake up to someone with all of the afore mentioned equiptment hanging off their face telling me that my life is in their hands. FRIGHTENING!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think there is anything wrong with an employer demanding tattoos be covered. But i would think that as long as they are covered it shouldn't be an issue. I mean, would you not hire someone for wearing a different type of underthings than what you wear? (yeah, I know even this can be an issue, but as long as you can't tell that they gentleman in your lab is wearing a thong....)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    ...as long as you can't tell that they gentleman in your lab is wearing a thong...)
    What better way to cover "plumber's crack"?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Looks like he was gonna tattoo someone's face!

Best line.......EVER!

Thanks, that made me laugh out loud and made my day!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    What better way to cover "plumber's crack"?
    Nice, I wear my man thongs so I can draw attention to my tramp stamp. The crack is just extra.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    I tend to think that someone who has a face tattoo can't have a very professional job. Who would hire them ?
    The artist. I have a friend as artist and he has tattoo on left face. Now he teach in a college. Special and character.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy: They are shooting themselves. How many places hire tattoo'd or pierced people over those without same. Same goes for ponytails on men, two applicants, same qualifications who do you want meeting your bread an butter public?

Tell me you have ever seen anyone whose appearance was enhanced by tattoo's or piercings.

Chip

Thread Information