Thread: Ever used vintage exam lane chair and stand? Hydraulic Chair.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Confused Ever used vintage exam lane chair and stand? Hydraulic Chair.

Hello!

I came across a vintage chair and stand that is in great shape. I was wondering if anyone has has any experience using one that is older. It is a hydraulic unit so I'm just wondering if there is any disadvantages to using older units or if that is a pain for the OD's. I would still use updated equipment with it. I just love the old stuff... ya know?

My theory is the old stuff is made better, less things to break and how long are the patients really in the chair for? But then again I've never used one so I thought I'd ask first...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have come across a few, don't know how well it would pair up with an automated phoroptor. We have an older chair that would match to most any stand and were thinking about powdercoating them in a more interesting color. As far as using the footpump that is up to you. My wife doesn't want to use one and I don't blame her, but they should be very durable.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our's is an 'older' chair and stand, hydraulic with foot control. We used it for many years and never had a problem. It has worked fine. I'll send you a pic if you like. Much more cost effective. And yet, ours is very nice looking. Off white enamel with dark brown leather on chair seat. We have a chair, stand with three arm, and some equipment also. Dr's exam chair, adjustable table, trial frame and lens set, A/O Projector with chart & floor stand. Everything you need to work in a small room. Let me know if have any interest.
    Mother Theresa - MRS. "CoolOptican"

Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do. —
    James Harvey Robinson

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    is this classic chair coral, fushia, or aqua? If it is, make sure you have a matching lensometer (AO12603), makes the room chic retro.

Harry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    is this classic chair coral, fushia, or aqua? If it is, make sure you have a matching lensometer (AO12603), makes the room chic retro.

Harry
    (grin!) Well mine is dark brown Harry....might not be 'classic' enough for that 'retro' look! But I do have a 'teal' Ocular Instruments adjustable table (we redid the formica top), that complimented my deep burple for my Key West Hemingway decor.....fans swishing on the high ceilings, old world maps, couple ships and stuff, some good fake greenery so I wouldn't kill it to brighten things up.....just bring your cigar!
    Mother Theresa - MRS. "CoolOptican"

Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do. —
    James Harvey Robinson

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I bought a used AO chair and stand with spencer phoroter and optimeter. Had no problems, color AO pink the arms could be moved to the sides for large people. Had a patient weigh over 600 pounds and the hydraulic worked smooth up and down. I sold that lane to a guy in Elpaso,Tx and he is the fourth owner. It was the best purchase I ever made. You can't go wrong with relance chair and stand.
    Donald D Price

Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a reliance that is the next generation up with electric controls, the one I want to powdercoat a retro color and reupholster with a nice leather, but we could let it go for the right price. So much better quality and comfort than the brand new topcon lane we left at an eyemart. Weighs a ton.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Until a few years ago, I was using an OLD B and L chair, that was in very good condition, but had very old looking styling. I was a nice cream color and was electric, but it just had that OLD look that wan't quite a fabulous retro look. I finally replaced it because my partners and staff said it looked old and made the practice look like we don't keep up. When I replaced it, numerous patients remarked, "wow Doc, you're keeping up to date".

The old one was rock solid...the new one wiggles...but people think it looks good.

Thread Information