OS +7.25 sph pd= 55
    Frame A:49 B:26 ED:50 DBL:18 full metal
    Lens material: Asph Poly

The pair I made for her last year was:
    OD +4.50 -0.50 x 157
    OS +6.00 sph pd= 26.0 ou
    Frame A:47 B:24 ED:48 DBL:18
    Lens Material: Asph Poly

**The problem she is having is that her left lens in the new pair makes her left eye look so much bigger than her right eye. It didn't seem as noticeable in the pair from last year. My question is this...is there a way to solve that problem? I know the RX is playing a role here, but I'm wondering if there is something else I can do? Would a thinner lens help? A different material lens? A digital SV lens? The patient is 11, she wears contacts, but would like to wear her glasses from time to time, but is very self-conscious about the difference in the appearance of her eyes w/ the glasses on.

Any help would be appreciated!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reduce the vertex using a plastic, rather than metal frame. (you didn't mention if she's going from plastic to metal). Make sure the OS especially is thin as possible.

I understand she's 11,(poly) but an Rx this high needs better abbe's for vision. Sometimes poly isn't the best choice even for a child. A 1.70 would give her that (better vision) plus a thinner lens reducing the magnification even more.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Were the lenses surfaced or finished blanks ? BC may also be higher on new glasses. 1.67 usually fits the bill nicely.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    A slightly flatter curve would reduce the magnification as well, but this would increase off axis aberrations. An aspheric 1.70 would work wonders, but it's not cheap.
    decisions, decisions.
    Also, that's a lot of decentration. My rule of thumb is: anything over 5 mm means your frame is probably too big anyway; in higher powers, anything over 2.5 mm is too much.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Also, that's a lot of decentration. My rule of thumb is: anything over 5 mm means your frame is probably too big anyway; in higher powers, anything over 2.5 mm is too much.
    Good point. Decentration is the killer.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How or why did her PD change? Use different index for different eyes, will help reduce magnification, don't use poly on anything with this much plus. You might (or you might get in trouble with non-aspheric O.D. and aspheric O.S. Aspherics reduce maginfication O.S.

Chip

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Now I See View Post
    Hi everybody!
    I have a patient that has come in with a new pr of glasses:
    OD +5.25 -0.50 x 143
    OS +7.25 sph pd= 55
    Frame A:49 B:26 ED:50 DBL:18 full metal
    Lens material: Asph Poly

The pair I made for her last year was:
    OD +4.50 -0.50 x 157
    OS +6.00 sph pd= 26.0 ou
    Frame A:47 B:24 ED:48 DBL:18
    Lens Material: Asph Poly

**The problem she is having is that her left lens in the new pair makes her left eye look so much bigger than her right eye. It didn't seem as noticeable in the pair from last year. My question is this...is there a way to solve that problem? I know the RX is playing a role here, but I'm wondering if there is something else I can do? Would a thinner lens help? A different material lens? A digital SV lens? The patient is 11, she wears contacts, but would like to wear her glasses from time to time, but is very self-conscious about the difference in the appearance of her eyes w/ the glasses on.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    How or why did her PD change?
    Chip

Children grow up.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Reduce the vertex using a plastic, rather than metal frame. (you didn't mention if she's going from plastic to metal)....
    Both metal frames.

Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Were the lenses surfaced or finished blanks ? BC may also be higher on new glasses. 1.67 usually fits the bill nicely.
    The pair I made last year were surfaced, the current pair, she got from her doctor's office.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    A slightly flatter curve would reduce the magnification as well, but this would increase off axis aberrations. An aspheric 1.70 would work wonders, but it's not cheap.
    decisions, decisions.
    Thank you...this does present a challenge, because her eyes are a little close set.

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    How or why did her PD change? ......

Chip
    The old pd was taken at my office last year, so that's the pd I read w/ the pupilometer. The new pair were made at her doctor's office, that's the pd I got when I read the new lenses. She's 11, and she has done some growing over the last year.

The patient and her family have been a friends of our family for years, I didn't have a frame that she (the pt) liked, and she found one at her doctor's office. The doc's office put her in Trivex to begin with (can anyone say THICKNESS???) Then they put her into Aspheric Poly, but there is this issue with the larger eye appearance, that wasn't as noticeable with the old RX. So, they were thinking of getting the lenses made at my office, but I didn't want to move forward without feeling confident that I can offer a solution to the problem. I'm all ears for more suggestions, but what I'm hearing so far is...
    1. Changing the material
    2. Using a flatter BC
    3. Less decentration

Do you think a combination of all of these things would make a noticeable difference?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also, that's a lot of decentration. My rule of thumb is: anything over 5 mm means your frame is probably too big anyway; in higher powers, anything over 2.5 mm is too much.[/QUOTE]

oh yes 6mm of decentration for each eye with that strong of a power is not just to much...its WAY to much. It makes a huge difference in lens thickness. I find that it makes much much more difference then what most people relize. To much decentration will increase nasel thickness on plus lenses thus increasing magnafication.

Occupation
    @ Now I See: Absolutely.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Good for you for being so focused on both how she sees and how she looks. I wish there had been more attention paid to the cosmetics of glasses when I was 11 and getting them.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its always hard to balance out the optics vs the cosmetics on scripts like this. IF digital is not an option, then I would look into matching the base curves of the previous pair, or if possible, use a flatter bc on the OS.

I love the 1.70 idea as well, and have been very impressed with both the cosmetics and clarity with it. This would be my first choice.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    Its always hard to balance out the optics vs the cosmetics on scripts like this. IF digital is not an option, then I would look into matching the base curves of the previous pair, or if possible, use a flatter bc on the OS.

I love the 1.70 idea as well, and have been very impressed with both the cosmetics and clarity with it. This would be my first choice.
    Then the problem of thickness will arise.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wearegood View Post
    Then the problem of thickness will arise.
    1.70 will be much thinner than poly.
    All other things equal, in a plus lens a flatter curve will produce a thinner lens, and aspherics are thinner than traditional spherical lenses.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Now I See View Post
    **The problem she is having is that her left lens in the new pair makes her left eye look so much bigger than her right eye. It didn't seem as noticeable in the pair from last year.
    Determine if the vertex distance has increased with the new eyeglasses- an increase in vertex distance will not only increase magnification, it will increase the difference in magnification between the eyes, and aggravate the increase in differential magnification due to the Rx change.

but is very self-conscious about the difference in the appearance of her eyes w/ the glasses on.
    To decrease the differential magnification, we need to increase the magnification in the right eye. This is done by increasing the base curve (match the left eye for the best cosmetics), and by increasing its thickness.

http://www.opticampus.com/tools/magnification.php

If you are able to match (or decrease) the vertex distance of the old eyeglasses, matching the thickness and BC of the left lens might be enough to duplicate the appearance of her old eyeglasses, depending on the BC and CTs of the old and new lenses. If not, you will need to increase the right eye thickness by 1mm to 4mm thicker than the left eye. Consider using a zyl frame to hide the nasal thickness, a somewhat round shape, and nose pads to help position the 180 line close to the pupils.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Changing BCs by steepening the left is good, but must be done in a good FF lens design that allows BC's to be specified. I would use 1.60 index for best vision, or even better CR 39 if you follow Robert's excellent frame shape/size suggestions.

In CR 39, I would try an 8.75 base OU. and watch that vertex fitting distance.

Also, consider dropping the AR, using using one with more reflectance, such as Zeiss SET Gold. This will hide/distract from the magnified-eye appearance

Heck, I've done CR-39 +9.25s in a Silhouette Titan Minimal Art with knife edges and drilled the temporal attachment in by an add'l mm. A round/oval shape, fitted with minimal decentration in a rimless with SET will DO the trick!

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, so much to all!!! I knew this was the right place to ask questions! You guys (and gals) put the "I-C" in optics!

I'm going to talk to her mom and see what we can do...it's a learning experience for us both, so I'll keep you posted and let you know what we come up with!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Even though I am a fan of FF, none of the usual names offer good Anesekonic compensations or options. Ansekonic lenses can be designed by adjusting the power in one, and then the base curve in the other.

There is a good calculator on Opticampus to determine both numbers with a degree of certainty.

Right now, Shaw Lens (Peter Shaw is on Optiboard) has the only lenses that compensate digitally.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Now I See
    The problem she is having is that her left lens in the new pair makes her left eye look so much bigger than her right eye
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpstick
    Even though I am a fan of FF, none of the usual names offer good Anesekonic compensations or options... Right now, Shaw Lens (Peter Shaw is on Optiboard) has the only lenses that compensate digitally
    If I recall, Dr. Shaw is attempting to compensate for dynamic anseikonia. This would not eliminate magnification differences between her right and left lenses. In fact, it could potentially make them just as bad, but reversed, so that her right eye looks bigger than her left, which would not really address the patient's chief complaint regarding cosmetics.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    not sure if this would help may be some could let me no but could atoric design in one eye and aspherics in the other would that help with one eye looking bigger than the other .

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi all, Van Rue mentioned this thread, I met him on ODs on facebook , SHAW lens addresses both dynamic and static inter-ocular magnification differences. The appearance of the eyes would be equal with our lenses for the above patient. We use a digital back surface design , they would not look worse at all since our method will use a flatter aspheric in the stronger plus eye and a higher shape factor in the less plus eye, the software algorithm is carefully constructed not to create a static magnification reversal. In this case the optimum curves would be to make the higher plus eye appear a little smaller compared to a "standard" lens and the lower plus eye to appear a little larger so that the end result is equality. I hope that this clears up any lack of clarity.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Magnification is caused/induced by power, material, index, thickness, vertex along with lens size and decentration ( the last two both relate to thickness). Asphericity potentially could or could not influence magnification by thickness*. ( Atoric, not this Rx.)

To control or reduce magnification as much as possible, you need to address all of the above. The two variables that will mean the most are thickness and vertex on any Rx. Controlling thickness starts with lens size and PD ( As small and round/oval as possible and FPD as close as possible to patient's PD). Material (index) will make a difference because higher index's uses (require) flatter curves reducing the thickness (and vertex). (Be aware that not all hi-indexes have great abbe values. With high powers like the above, you need to start thinking of LCA's and their affect on their vision). Using a frame that sits as close as possible to their eye reduces the vertex distance.

* As far a aspheric/atoric helping. Depends. If you're talking using corrective curve deviation that we traditionally think of with aspheric/atorics, no. A +/-.50 cyl would have an extremely small amount of "curve deviation" for the cyl. The smaller the lens, the less curve deviation or asphericity is required. This is a 49 eye size so little deviation is induced. I don't think just asphericity ( or atoricity) in this small of eye size would reduce thickness much.

Now then, if you were to do a radical aspheric design like IceTech ( I don't work for them) makes then you could reduce the thickness even more. ( by radical asphericity I mean a radical curve deviation to remove lens material, not a corrective curve deviation. Think SuperModular lenses (ok, I'm old and remember those..)

I'm sure someone will add or correct me on the above.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    SHAW lens addresses both dynamic and static inter-ocular magnification differences.
    Peter, Can you elaborate on this point? Are you stating that you are correcting static and dynamic aniseikonia, simultaneously? (I can't see how this could work, at least without introducing a great deal of spherical aberration or something.)

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    Peter, Can you elaborate on this point? Are you stating that you are correcting static and dynamic aniseikonia, simultaneously? (I can't see how this could work, at least without introducing a great deal of spherical aberration or something.)

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Hi Darryl, and thanks for the question,
    I haven't been on optiboard for a while, its been a crazy 6 months since we launched at VE in NY.
    Image size is calculated using the corneal vertex distance (well really the true vertex distance which is posterior to the corneal apex, the entrance pupil) this coincides approximately from a cosmetic standpoint at the iris, and the corneal limbus. these structures will appear the same size in each fellow eye with an isogonal lens system). A side benefit is reduced dynamic magnification, now there are many discrete solutions for an isogonal lens system, our (international patent pending) proprietary iterative computer design chooses the optimum combination of base, index, thickness, geometry, asphericity and index to subsequently correct the dynamic magnification (ie prismatic effect) while maintaining an isogonal correcting system. It is rather complicated but that's the beauty of computerized design. Digital surfacing corrects any spherical aberration is fully controlled by our atoric/aspheric backside surfacing even with front side aspheric lenses. We have had great success and our most surprising successes have been patients with small distance Rxs (plano to -1.00) in a PAL with small degrees of anisometropia (0.25D to 2.00D). Spherical aberration is not an issue at all, and our lenses have less barrel and pincushion effect than typical FF lenses (also less pincushion equals less spherical aberration).

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Magnification is caused/induced by power, material, index, thickness, vertex along with lens size and decentration ( the last two both relate to thickness). Asphericity potentially could or could not influence magnification by thickness*. ( Atoric, not this Rx.)

To control or reduce magnification as much as possible, you need to address all of the above. The two variables that will mean the most are thickness and vertex on any Rx. Controlling thickness starts with lens size and PD ( As small and round/oval as possible and FPD as close as possible to patient's PD). Material (index) will make a difference because higher index's uses (require) flatter curves reducing the thickness (and vertex). (Be aware that not all hi-indexes have great abbe values. With high powers like the above, you need to start thinking of LCA's and their affect on their vision). Using a frame that sits as close as possible to their eye reduces the vertex distance.

* As far a aspheric/atoric helping. Depends. If you're talking using corrective curve deviation that we traditionally think of with aspheric/atorics, no. A +/-.50 cyl would have an extremely small amount of "curve deviation" for the cyl. The smaller the lens, the less curve deviation or asphericity is required. This is a 49 eye size so little deviation is induced. I don't think just asphericity ( or atoricity) in this small of eye size would reduce thickness much.

Now then, if you were to do a radical aspheric design like IceTech ( I don't work for them) makes then you could reduce the thickness even more. ( by radical asphericity I mean a radical curve deviation to remove lens material, not a corrective curve deviation. Think SuperModular lenses (ok, I'm old and remember those..)

I'm sure someone will add or correct me on the above.
    yes, yes, yes, yes, yes all correct,

Thread Information