Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Sport Sunwear

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Thoughts on Sport Sunwear

Hey guys,

I'm at a crossroads. Oakley, Maui Jim, Nike, Costa Del Mar, Revo, etc., etc. If you guys could carry just one, which one and why?

I like Oakley's products for the most part and their RX program. I love Maui Jim's product and demographic. Nike has a cool look. Costa Del Mar is CRAZY popular here in Louisiana, but no one does them and offers RX around here.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for all your input.
    -Johnny Cook, ABOC

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I could only have one, Maui. Good rxes, fast turnaround, great Plano warranty and customer service on the Plano end directly to th customers too. I know I can stand behind it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think Rx programs are a rip. They are overly expensive, and reproducible by any good lab.

Look for a line that has "pop-out" or "discardable" lenses.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyocook View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm at a crossroads. Oakley, Maui Jim, Nike, Costa Del Mar, Revo, etc., etc. If you guys could carry just one, which one and why?

Costa Del Mar is CRAZY popular here in Louisiana, but no one does them and offers RX around here.
    CRAZY popular and NO ONE does them and offers rx? There's your answer!!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I think Rx programs are a rip. They are overly expensive, and reproducible by any good lab.

Agree with drk, most people choose contacts with sunglasses instead of the brand RX glasses.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

+1

At one time, I carried more than 600 sunglasses in one of my stores. Revo, RayBan, Maui,...you name it, we probably had it. I did this as an effort to once and for all dispel the notion that only gas stations can sell a lot of sunglasses. I had my Amish employee custom build showcase with premium lighting to highlight the lenses.

When VEE rolled around I took 3 of the employees with me, and had them take classes heavy no sun sales. I also put in lower end sun lines, to capture all price points.

At the end of three years, we had sold somewhere around 70 sunglasses. This, on an investment of around 30k. Our best sellers were the RayBan sport, waswhich was a rimless copy of the Maui sport (it must have been a great seller, as they disco'd it), and a Rx'able cheap frame from Asia Pacific.

The "experiment" was a success, in that it taught me to not waste valuable inventory money on products that people don't buy from opticals. When the companies tell you, "You can't sell them if you don't carry them..." That is true, but just because you carry them is no guarantee you will.

We now sell quite a few Rx suns, but they are mostly disco ophthalmics that I buy deep, put decennt (sometimes discards from name brands) sunlenses into (mirrors, gradients, etc...). We give the frame away, sell the lenses for normal cost, and add on any treatments. We average around 4 pr. per week, per store. Not setting the world on fire, but not burning up my bank account either.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I think I am leaning toward carrying Maui Jim. I have always loved their product, even non RX. I've also loved their customer service. I've been selling glasses for close to 10 years and I really can't say that I've heard anything negative about them from anyone.

Johns, I like your approach as well. Again, thanks for all the feedback guys.
    -Johnny Cook, ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our experience is one thing, what's going to do well in your market may be another thing entirely. About 1/3 of my sales are suns, not so much for Johns, but he probably sells 10x what I do of everything else, but we are in very different places. I would highly suggest you let your market be your guide. They are your clients, not us.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One line we are going to be dropping is WileyX. Between their new exclusive WM line, as well as their partnership w/Harley D, the boat is getting too crowded for us.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That's very good advice, Java! I agree, Johns. That sounds like a crowded boat. I'm looking at having 500-600 frames in my shop. I really just don't have room for more than one specialty sun brand. It seems silly to have Costa Del Mar and Maui Jim. Time will tell. I haven't talked to either rep yet.
    -Johnny Cook, ABOC

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow! Really, really disagree with you, drk, on manufacturer Authentic Rx programs!
    Not my experience at all!
    B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As difficult as Oakley is to deal with on a business level, they make a durable, well fitting and excellent product that gives us the absolute least warranty/breakage come back of any line.
    Period.

B

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I agree, Barry. Oakley stuff is tops. I love the stuff, but can't bear the company.

We just do Rx sunwear.

I just don't think there's that much to sunlenses, materials-wise. 99% of what "delivers" is poly polar. Back-side AR is good on non-wraps, but pretty superfluous on wraps.

Front-side flash mirror is for cosmetics, mostly, but often cool-looking. Dudes, usually.

(Photochromic polar is really high tech, I'll admit, but I'm not sure that's Rx, is it?)

I think all the individualized stuff is where you're probably getting geeked. I agree that's important, but can't you get that at your normal lab? I've checked in the past, and Oakley and certainly Maui Jim were more pricey than what I'd normally pay.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    After managing Sunglass Huts, and carrying Oakley at every office I've ever dispensed at, I am also drawn to Oakley, Barry. You're right, they make a good product. It's also very readily available in my area at two Lenscrafters, 5 Sunglass Huts and over 10 other rx and non rx retailers. However, it is still on my list. I will talk to a rep in the next few days.
    -Johnny Cook, ABOC

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyocook View Post
    That's very good advice, Java! I agree, Johns. That sounds like a crowded boat. I'm looking at having 500-600 frames in my shop. I really just don't have room for more than one specialty sun brand. It seems silly to have Costa Del Mar and Maui Jim. Time will tell. I haven't talked to either rep yet.
    If what you said earlier that "Costa Del Mar is CRAZY popular here in Louisiana, but no one does them and offers RX around here." is true; why would you not carry the Costa Line? Seem's like a snap call to me.

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maui Jim..... Best lenses and very sturdy frames. Plus cheaper than Oakley and great for those of us who cannot wear contact lenses....

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    drk, what do you think of the Hilco/Leader Rx Sunwear line? I've been getting some pretty major sales off these.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I just tried to speak to an Oakley rep. They won't discuss any aspect of the line (minimums, restrictions, etc) without my store actually being open first. That was a huge turn off. I'm fleshing out a budget before my store opens. I guess I can't include them in it since they won't communicate with a potential new dealer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We said NO to Oakley a few years back because they wanted 36 piece minimum of the opthalmic stuff along with the Suns we wanted (approx 40 pieces)!
    Anyone else have those requirements?
    Either way, it's good product but we do way more Maui Jim than anything else. Plano MJ sales are usually 1 a day.

Hilco Leader Rx is a great line too around 1/2 the cost of MJ

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to agree with a couple people who asked why not Costa, since you would be the only dealer in the area. Everybody does Oakley, and MJ. They are great products as well, but why not differentiate yourself????? Costa has established a pretty solid Rx program over the last year. Solid frames, and incredible lenses!!! I am the only Rx dealer in my area, by a few hundred miles, and have had people come from a couple hundred miles to order them. I Love doing something different than everybody else. Have you tried (held, worn, looked through, etc., etc.)and compared side by side any of the products you are consdering? Food for thought. Good luck in your decision.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kaenon is worth a look as well.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Kaenon is worth a look as well.
    I've done a couple of them, the problem I've run into however, is the minimum lens blank size (although this probably won't be a problem for plastic lenses).

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well I will say that if you're going to bring in the hilco/leader stuff let's talk about the Liberty suns. Better quality and they have they have their own lab...Have you looked at them?

Christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    If I could only have one, Maui. Good rxes, fast turnaround, great Plano warranty and customer service on the Plano end directly to th customers too. I know I can stand behind it.
    I dont understand why you consider direct to customer service from MJ a PLUS!?!?!?

Its a huge minus for me. If we sell it we will service it! Warranty or no warranty!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    I dont understand why you consider direct to customer service from MJ a PLUS!?!?!?

Its a huge minus for me. If we sell it we will service it! Warranty or no warranty!
    It builds good brand reputation before they even hit my front door, if they've owned a pair before or know someone who has.

Thread Information