Thread: Price differences for frames between Europe and North America

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Price differences for frames between Europe and North America

Hello, I m a french optician (french riviera, south of france) and we've got a lot of tourists during summer...
    Some of them (americans and canadians) told me some frames were very expensive in US (like Alain MIKLI, Götti, Starck, etc)
    Also, in France, Dita and Chrome Hearts are very expensive (one of my friend who've been in NY said me that Dita sunglasses were very less expensive in NY)...
    I'd like to exchange opinions about it... I can give you my approx. buying price for some brands...
    You can post it on the forum or post it on PM...
    Best regards
    Thx

Sébastien

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The issue isn't so much related to the exchange rate of the Euro, although that does play into it a bit, but things like freight, customs duties and import fees, and mark up. I don't see any way to compare prices in the US to prices in Europe.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just for exemple, a custommer from canada said me that the Götti frame he bought me at 229 € was approx. 550 S can. .
    Idem for dita sunglasses (a friend have seen model at approx [Wholesale pricing removed]), in france they are sold approx. 240 - 450€.
    Chrome Hearts: 390€ to +900€.
    I know freight costs, custom officials can be expensive...
    I asked this question in order to know price differencies (for my information).
    If one day I go to USA, I think i'll buy a lot of Dita sunglasses!!
    Interesting: Ray Ban prices are nearly the same in europe and in USA...
    Last edited by FrenchRivieraOpt; 08-17-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Wholesale prices removed!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it greatly depends on how large the company is. Luxottica is the biggest optical company in the world, and have systems set up to ship internationally etc, so they can keep the cost similar across the board. Smaller companies though need to figure out how to sell internationally, and while I don't know the specifics on how it works, I believe there are fees involved with just being able to sell and ship internationally. I'm sure that's part of the reason to the price differences. Also there's the exclusivity factor. If a shop in NA carries a line that no one else carries because it's typically only sold in Europe, they can charge more for it, etc.

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It changes across the EU and EEC, the northern States, Norway, Finland ect are far more expensive than the US, I have many people over here in Nashua NH that whan visiting from this area stock up on frames, whereas in the southern States (the wife is from Portugan) they are cheaper. Then you get the mid states, France the UK ect and a pair of Ray Bans is pretty much equal, where as lenses are much much cheaper than the US..... So there really is no easy answer to the quiery,....

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for your answer! very interesting.
    Norway is approx 2x more expensive than France
    for information I can give you the price I sale lenses to custommer or the price of some frames (french brands or japanese brands) (in private message)
    I would know if some american brands are also far less expensive in US. (for exemple Chrome Hearts sunglasses or Dita sunglasses). I wrote the approx price for custommers (not opticians) upper...

Thread Information