Thread: Canadian Parlament and Senate on optical retail......................................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Canadian Parlament and Senate on optical retail......................................

News Releases
    Back

June 29, 2012
    Charlottetown Senator Percy Downe supports Bill C-313

Charlottetown Senator Percy Downe supports Bill C-313, legislation that would make non-corrective contact lenses – often called cosmetic contacts – subject to the requirements of the Foods and Drugs Act in the same way as corrective contact lenses.

In his speech in the Senate, Downe described the internet sale of prescription eyewear as perhaps the biggest issue facing vision care today, and drew attention to a recent study that concluded “nearly half of prescription spectacles delivered by online vendors did not meet either the optical requirements of the patient’s visual needs or the physical requirements for the patient’s safety.”

Senator Downe also spoke about the risks stemming from the increasing online sales of both cosmetic and prescription contacts and glasses, and said, “Complications, up to and including serious vision problems, that may arise from improper use, handling, and fit, are preventable provided that a professional dispenser assesses eye health and lens fit and provides training on proper use and handling of contact lenses.”
    “What is Health Canada doing to protect the growing number of Canadians who choose to purchase their eyewear online, unaware of the risks that such a purchase may entail?” asked Downe. He concluded by urging the federal Minister of Health to quickly bring forward new legislation to control the online sale of both contact lenses and eyewear to protect Canadians from faulty products that may cause serious harm to their permanent eyesight.

“Canadians are purchasing these cosmetic contacts from party stores, local markets, and other locations, where buyers receive no instructions on the use and handling of the lenses, rather than from a licensed and regulated professional dispenser,” noted Senator Downe.
    Essentially, Bill C-313 would ensure that Health Canada approves the product and that the proper medical device and establishment licenses are in place before the product is manufactured and distributed to retailers.

Attached: Speech Delivered in the Senate Chamber on Friday, June 29, 2012
    For further information:

Senator Percy Downe: 613-943-8107
    Or toll free at 1-800-267-7362
    www.sen.parl.gc.ca/pdowne

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Debates of the Senate (Hansard)
    1st Session, 41st Parliament,
    Volume 148, Issue 100
    Friday, June 29, 2012

Food and Drugs Act Bill to Amend—Second Reading—Debate Continued

On the Order:
    Resuming debate on the motion of the Honourable Senator Duffy, seconded by the Honourable Senator Frum, for the second reading of Bill C-313, An Act to amend the Food and Drugs Act (non-corrective contact lenses).

Hon. Percy E. Downe: Honourable senators, I join the debate in support of Bill C-313, important legislation that has already passed in the House of Commons with all-party support.

Bill C-313 goes a long way to ensuring that Canadians are taking the best possible care of their eyes by making non- corrective contact lenses, often called cosmetic contacts, subject to the requirements of the Food and Drugs Act in the same way that corrective contact lenses are.
    Quite frankly, there is nothing more important to a person than his or her health. It should come as no surprise that in a 2003 poll by Environics Research Group, Canadians listed vision loss as the disability they feared most.

Many Canadians wear corrective or cosmetic contacts for a variety of reasons every day. What is alarming is the damage that can be associated with wearing ill-fitting or mishandled contacts. The complications that arise from improper use, handling and fit are preventable, provided that a licensed and regulated professional dispenser assesses eye health and lens fit and provides training on proper use and handling of contact lenses.

Bill C-313 cannot address all of these concerns, honourable senators, as they are outside federal control. However, this legislation can ensure that Health Canada approves of the product, and proper safeguards are in place before the product is manufactured and distributed to retailers.
    Honourable senators, something that really concerns me about this issue is the fact that cosmetic contacts may be purchased from party stores, local markets and other locations where buyers receive no instructions on the use and handling of the lenses. In particular, I am concerned about the health risks associated with buying contacts through Internet sites. The potential problems are not limited to the sale of simply cosmetic contacts, but also prescription contacts and glasses.

The Internet sale of prescription eyewear is perhaps the biggest issue facing vision care today. Unregulated sales by Internet providers have created an unlevel playing field, with brick and mortar locations having to abide by provincial regulations and Internet sellers that do not. Essentially, all prescribing and dispensing regulations in the provinces are rendered null and void by the current practices of online retailers of prescription eyewear.

A considerable amount of research, produced by Canadian and other investigators, raises questions about the safety of allowing Canadians to order their eyewear online. A 2011 study entitled Safety and compliance of prescription spectacles ordered by the public via the Internet concluded:
    Nearly half of prescription spectacles delivered by online vendors did not meet either the optical requirements of the patient's visual needs or the physical requirements for the patient's safety.

Studies like the one I just mentioned that show that the wrong prescription, improperly positioned lenses and failed shatterproof standards occur in almost 50 per cent of Internet-obtained prescription eyewear, and this should be a concern to the vision health and safety of Canadians.

Given that Health Canada's role in reviewing medical devices is to assess their safety, effectiveness and quality before being authorized for sale in Canada, the research I have just mentioned begs the question: What is Health Canada doing to protect Canadians from Internet sales of contact lenses and eyeglasses? Two weeks ago I wrote to the federal Minister of Health on the issue and I look forward to her response.
    Online shopping, as we all know, is on the rise. Canada's Internet economy is expected to grow by almost 7.5 per cent through 2016, when it will represent close to 4 per cent of GDP. What is to prevent a major online retailer like Amazon.com, or a totally unregulated company operating in some offshore location, from selling prescription contacts, glasses or cosmetic contacts to Canadians over the Internet?

I believe that a growing number of Canadians will choose to purchase their eyewear online, unaware of the risks that such a purchase may entail. Health Canada must not only be monitoring this situation closely, but implementing new regulations to protect Canadians from faulty products that may cause serious harm to their permanent eyesight.

Honourable senators, I am not under the impression that Bill C-313 can prevent the scenario I have just described in which faulty contacts or glasses are sold over the Internet with potentially serious consequences. However, I am confident that this legislation is a step in the right direction. I will be voting in support of Bill C-313, and I urge the federal Minister of Health to quickly bring forward new legislation to control online sales of both contact lenses and eyewear.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    News Releases
    Back

June 29, 2012
    Charlottetown Senator Percy Downe supports Bill C-313

Charlottetown Senator Percy Downe supports Bill C-313, legislation that would make non-corrective contact lenses – often called cosmetic contacts – subject to the requirements of the Foods and Drugs Act in the same way as corrective contact lenses.

In his speech in the Senate, Downe described the internet sale of prescription eyewear as perhaps the biggest issue facing vision care today, and drew attention to a recent study that concluded “nearly half of prescription spectacles delivered by online vendors did not meet either the optical requirements of the patient’s visual needs or the physical requirements for the patient’s safety.”

Senator Downe also spoke about the risks stemming from the increasing online sales of both cosmetic and prescription contacts and glasses, and said, “Complications, up to and including serious vision problems, that may arise from improper use, handling, and fit, are preventable provided that a professional dispenser assesses eye health and lens fit and provides training on proper use and handling of contact lenses.”
    “What is Health Canada doing to protect the growing number of Canadians who choose to purchase their eyewear online, unaware of the risks that such a purchase may entail?” asked Downe. He concluded by urging the federal Minister of Health to quickly bring forward new legislation to control the online sale of both contact lenses and eyewear to protect Canadians from faulty products that may cause serious harm to their permanent eyesight.

“Canadians are purchasing these cosmetic contacts from party stores, local markets, and other locations, where buyers receive no instructions on the use and handling of the lenses, rather than from a licensed and regulated professional dispenser,” noted Senator Downe.
    Essentially, Bill C-313 would ensure that Health Canada approves the product and that the proper medical device and establishment licenses are in place before the product is manufactured and distributed to retailers.

Attached: Speech Delivered in the Senate Chamber on Friday, June 29, 2012
    For further information:

Senator Percy Downe: 613-943-8107
    Or toll free at 1-800-267-7362
    www.sen.parl.gc.ca/pdowne

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Debates of the Senate (Hansard)
    1st Session, 41st Parliament,
    Volume 148, Issue 100
    Friday, June 29, 2012

Food and Drugs Act Bill to Amend—Second Reading—Debate Continued

On the Order:
    Resuming debate on the motion of the Honourable Senator Duffy, seconded by the Honourable Senator Frum, for the second reading of Bill C-313, An Act to amend the Food and Drugs Act (non-corrective contact lenses).

Hon. Percy E. Downe: Honourable senators, I join the debate in support of Bill C-313, important legislation that has already passed in the House of Commons with all-party support.

Bill C-313 goes a long way to ensuring that Canadians are taking the best possible care of their eyes by making non- corrective contact lenses, often called cosmetic contacts, subject to the requirements of the Food and Drugs Act in the same way that corrective contact lenses are.
    Quite frankly, there is nothing more important to a person than his or her health. It should come as no surprise that in a 2003 poll by Environics Research Group, Canadians listed vision loss as the disability they feared most.

Many Canadians wear corrective or cosmetic contacts for a variety of reasons every day. What is alarming is the damage that can be associated with wearing ill-fitting or mishandled contacts. The complications that arise from improper use, handling and fit are preventable, provided that a licensed and regulated professional dispenser assesses eye health and lens fit and provides training on proper use and handling of contact lenses.

Bill C-313 cannot address all of these concerns, honourable senators, as they are outside federal control. However, this legislation can ensure that Health Canada approves of the product, and proper safeguards are in place before the product is manufactured and distributed to retailers.
    Honourable senators, something that really concerns me about this issue is the fact that cosmetic contacts may be purchased from party stores, local markets and other locations where buyers receive no instructions on the use and handling of the lenses. In particular, I am concerned about the health risks associated with buying contacts through Internet sites. The potential problems are not limited to the sale of simply cosmetic contacts, but also prescription contacts and glasses.

The Internet sale of prescription eyewear is perhaps the biggest issue facing vision care today. Unregulated sales by Internet providers have created an unlevel playing field, with brick and mortar locations having to abide by provincial regulations and Internet sellers that do not. Essentially, all prescribing and dispensing regulations in the provinces are rendered null and void by the current practices of online retailers of prescription eyewear.

A considerable amount of research, produced by Canadian and other investigators, raises questions about the safety of allowing Canadians to order their eyewear online. A 2011 study entitled Safety and compliance of prescription spectacles ordered by the public via the Internet concluded:
    Nearly half of prescription spectacles delivered by online vendors did not meet either the optical requirements of the patient's visual needs or the physical requirements for the patient's safety.

Studies like the one I just mentioned that show that the wrong prescription, improperly positioned lenses and failed shatterproof standards occur in almost 50 per cent of Internet-obtained prescription eyewear, and this should be a concern to the vision health and safety of Canadians.

Given that Health Canada's role in reviewing medical devices is to assess their safety, effectiveness and quality before being authorized for sale in Canada, the research I have just mentioned begs the question: What is Health Canada doing to protect Canadians from Internet sales of contact lenses and eyeglasses? Two weeks ago I wrote to the federal Minister of Health on the issue and I look forward to her response.
    Online shopping, as we all know, is on the rise. Canada's Internet economy is expected to grow by almost 7.5 per cent through 2016, when it will represent close to 4 per cent of GDP. What is to prevent a major online retailer like Amazon.com, or a totally unregulated company operating in some offshore location, from selling prescription contacts, glasses or cosmetic contacts to Canadians over the Internet?

I believe that a growing number of Canadians will choose to purchase their eyewear online, unaware of the risks that such a purchase may entail. Health Canada must not only be monitoring this situation closely, but implementing new regulations to protect Canadians from faulty products that may cause serious harm to their permanent eyesight.

Honourable senators, I am not under the impression that Bill C-313 can prevent the scenario I have just described in which faulty contacts or glasses are sold over the Internet with potentially serious consequences. However, I am confident that this legislation is a step in the right direction. I will be voting in support of Bill C-313, and I urge the federal Minister of Health to quickly bring forward new legislation to control online sales of both contact lenses and eyewear.
    +1

Occupation

Blue Jumper Full Text Of Bill C 313..................................

Full Text Of Bill C 313..................................

See -----------> http://parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/...&DocId=5628542

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This bill will make no difference.
    Last edited by idispense; 10-02-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Bill C313

Private Member’s Bill C313
    41st Parliament, 1st Session

Status of the Bill

Status of the Bill

Additional Information

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/Bill...e=1&Language=E

Thread Information